(Newb here) Leveling in TVHM? - Loot drop rate in TVHM? and any good ARs?

You can also play as Maya and phaselock the loader before it can get close. Hadn’t realised there was a ladder up near the bridge controls though - good alternate strategy for VHs with less crowd control ability.

If you’re on XB1 I might have some spares I no longer need.

1 Like

Hi,

I have been fortunate to find appropriate sniper stockpile relics. At that level in the game, I have a sniper relic giving 56% more ammo, which is of course great. Keep an eye out for stockpile relics.

Yeah, I have one that gives ~24% for three ammo types, unfortunately not SR. I spent a bit more Eridium to get more SR Ammo (the next expansion costs 150E).

It’s down until you get close and the exploder spawns, then goes up and the exploder destroys the control console. Using the cargo carrier is fine, but you can also run around in the water, find the ladder near the control console/bridge, climb it, kill the exploder before he can destroy the console, and use the bridge.

Ah, I’ll remember that for UVHM I guess. Thanks.

Returning to Sanctuary still on Lv40, the Wildlife Exploration mission is now Lv42

Yup. Doing the Overlook missions will help that. Get the medicine mission from Scooter in Sanctuary, get the Stalker of stalkers mission from the bounty board in Overlook, and then as you complete those you’ll get the shield mission from Overlook/Camina and the Henry mission dropped from a stalker. Those should get you to, or close, level 42.

I did it slightly differently, but close (I was past that point when I read your post).

• Did all the Overlooked missions (Medicine Man; Shields up; This is just a test), since I remembered the shield reward for the final mission was quite good.
  • While being at the Highlands, I also did Tannis’ mission to find her recording.
    I didn’t do any of the stalker missions, yet.

Also you can now go to the Sanctuary bounty board and get the Good Bad and Mordy mission and that will help with leveling also (as well as Too close for missiles, which should be done at the same times as G-B-M. Those two will be a little underlined for you, but the mission experience helps.

Yeah, I did GBM because I wanted to get an upleveled Lyuda. So after doing the mission, I farmed it and got it finally upleveled to Lv37. Took a bit less this time than NVHM version, but Gettle killed me a few times. Funny thing was that during this farming run I got the Veruc from Mobley three times. Finally a halfway decent AR.

That took me to Lv42 and went with the Wildlife Exploration and Doctors Orders at the same time. I was really worried about Bloodwing, because she seemed hard (but doable) on NVHM. But in the end it was the same, despite Bloodwing being a level higher than me. There was tip to hide in one of the Skag doors that worked pretty well and then using Elemental snipers while she was distant and the DPUH when she was close worked in the end. I died once when she only had a tiny shred of health left and was fully recovered when I respawned, but ok.

I then ran through the Slab mission, ignored the mobs and dropped into their lair, died and then took the bandits out from the spawn point above.

Also ran through “The man who would be Jack”, mostly ignoring the mobs and doing the mission. Now I ended at Lv44 and “Where Angels fear to tread” is Lv46. Its getting pretty to close to 50.

Since I had some XP to gain, I did more side missions and also did more farming. I started with The Bunker in NVHM for The Sham (and cash, since I ran a bit low). Took a really long time until The Sham finally dropped. Then it was a (unsurprisingly) a disappointment at Lv26 (or what Bunker was in NVHM). With only ~900 Shield points and ~85% absorbtion rate, even the Southern Shelf bandits (like Lv36) in TVHM tear it to pieces very quickly. I can probaby still use it in NVHM and get the Challenge…

However, the Bunker really drops a ton of loot. It was all useless of course, but gave me a bit of cash.

Then I decided to farm the NVHM Warrior, mostly for Eridium, but I also hoped I could get a legendary weapon, like the Conference Call. Nope.
I farmed about 450 bars of Eridium out of it so 18-20 times? Drops certainly the most loot ever and always blue and purple items. But no legendary. Not once. sigh

Since the DPUH at Lv30 is still useful at Lv45 (although it’s getting a bit less), I hoped it would be worthwhile, but soon it probably isn’t any more.

I then did a few more missions to get to Lv46 before the next story mission.

• Safe and Sound, and I got Moxxi’s Heartbreaker at Lv44, which is indeed really good.
  • Out of body experience and Splinter Group. The Bloodshot stronghold is still quite tough in TVHM.
  • I foolishly started the Dr. Mercy mission. I thought it was Lv44 because “Do no harm” was listed as Lv44 (scaled with my level so far), but then Do no harm only the intro to Dr. Zed and then Dr. Mercy mission came after but was only Lv39 or so. At that level, that E-Tech Mission AR, which worked really well for me in NVHM (where I got it earlier) is useless. Poor accuracy really makes this really useless. Maybe I was lucky in NVHM and I got a version which was more accurate? Or my then lack of experience made it seem better than it is?

Anyway, it seems I am pretty comfortable in TVHM now. We’ll see how the Bunker is holding up in TVHM how and how many times I have to die. :wink: And maybe it will drop a better Sham.

Cheers.

Hi,

I guess I need to do more side-quests, just to get at least some at-level decent equipment.

If you’re on XB1 I might have some spares I no longer need.

I am on XB1, but I think I am ok for now. Also if I get into serious trouble, I can spend some Golden keys (thanks to your first reply to this thread, I got a bunch shift codes working meanwhile).

Thanks anyway for the offer.

I am not the multiplayer type. The times during the day I can play and because of possible random interruptions at any time suggests I wouldn’t be a good team member. But maybe I should try it anyway. I guess there are some challenges/achievements for trading, dueling and some other things, that may not take much time or prep like fighting a raid boss or something.

I suppose there is a forums category for that, I’ll look around.

Unkempt Harolds are another reasonably simple farm. As you probably know, just drop into Three Horns Divide and go over to Marrowfield and killSavage Lee,he’s a guaranteed spawn. Kill him a bunch of times (it’s fast) and you’ll probably get one, I have (checking my database) 23 DPUH’s on Xbox, ramping up the level scale. Have sold more that matched something I already had.
And there is always a chance of encountering Savage Lee twice on a run. When you spawn in at the fast travel/caatch-a-ride station stop for a minute and look for red dots on your mini-map in the bullymong area behind the catch-a-ride (look on the left and right side). If you see red dots that means Lee spawned in there and aggro’d the bullymongs, go in and kill 'em. Then go over to the Marrofields and he’ll spawn there also.
On this farm you can also shoot Boll (he’s on the way) to get a Fastball grenade if you want one.
–RoA

2 Likes

Actually I didn’t remember this (although I had read about it). I think I got my DPUH from the warrior and thus somehow assumed I need to get it there again.

Yeah, I ran into Boll and Savage Lee a few times, but didn’t get anything from them. I agree that should be reasonably easy to farm. Thanks for the tip!!

1 Like

Btw, is there a good guide somewhere how to best use Slag with Sniper-Zer0 (or even in general)? I searched through the forums a bit but couldn’t find anything useful.

I find it cumbersome to use slag, so I don’t really use it, but I suppose I am missing out. Also I heard for UVHM you really need it to make progress.

So far, my understanding/experience:

• Use a slag weapon until the enemy is slagged, then switch to a different weapon to do more damage.
  • Switching weapons while attacking a single enemy seems super slow and I have already Zer0’s “Fast Hands” at 5. So this super disrupts the current fight.
  • Then the enemies stay slagged only for a super short time.
    The result is: by the time I switch weapon and re-acquire a good aim (since the enemies are moving around) the enemy is not slagged any more.

Then even if I manage to do it, the additional damage seems modest (I suppose there is a formula how much more damage you deal on a slagged enemy?) and if I had just pumped more rounds of the first weapon into the enemy it would have done more damage, I feel.

The only exception I can see is with Slag-grenades, because you can throw them easily in mid-combat. But then again, I use my non-slag grenades quite effectively and they clean up mobs often directly well enough.

So maybe it makes a difference mainly for some of the tougher bosses? Or you the magic missile makes all the difference? (Didn’t get/try it yet).

1 Like

Yes, annoying but true.
In NVHM and TVHM I find very little use for slag, things die well without it.
But in UVHM things change, both with enemies and slag. Enemies have 4 times health. But, slagging an enemy causes them to take 3x damage from your attacks (vs. 2x in N/TVHM) so it’s a substantial boost.

The annoying part is that you have to dedicate some weapon or grenade to slag, always, so you lose a little flexibility. And your attacks tend to be a bit more the same formula, apply slag, shoot, apply slag, shoot, and so on.
Oh, and weapon swap speed is increased in UVHM to overcome the need to be constantly applying slag, so you’ll find fast hands is even faster.
But UVHM is pretty fun otherwise, it’s a challenge but not an unfair one.
–RoA

2 Likes

:point_up: This.

A common tactic is the use of a slag Bouncing Betty grenade. It doesn’t do much damage, but it bounces around and sprays the surrounding area (and enemies) with bullets over a period of time.

That period of time gives you a larger timeframe to hit enemies with non-slag weapons without the need to switch.

3 Likes

In addition to using a grenade that sprays slag around, it’s worth knowing that a homing grenade will not trigger enemies until it hits a target. So one way to use Zer0 is to be a fair distance away, throw out a slag grenade, and hit deception just before it hits. This gives you more time to get your shots off on slagged enemies before you need to move. I tend to use the Magic Missile grenade from the Tiny Tina DLC for this. The main drawback is you can’t guarantee that the grenade will ‘home’ where you want it to; if you need to be much more precise, longbow or fastball is the way to go.

Like others, I generally don’t use slag much until UVHM, where it becomes more important and more viable - the slag status effect has a longer duration, and slag-on-slag damage is higher so you can using something like a slag Lyuda or plasma caster to paint and decimate rather effectively without having to weapon swap (maybe use a shock grenade to strip shields instead)

3 Likes

Thanks again, got a Lv35 now (current max I believe) and it didn’t take much time. This was indeed super fast and easy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For slag, also consider a homing slag transfusion grenade. The grenade will home in on the targets, slag, and provide healing. A strictly sniper Zer0 is notoriously hard to keep healing up without the use of moxxi weapons.

2 Likes

One more remark, when playing Zer0 I tend to keep a Jakobs Quad shotgun at hand.

I don’t snipe good enough to reliably pick off all enemies that try to rush me and something that does lots of damage to enemies that are close up is quite practical.

Especially when said enemy is slagged already those Jakobs shotguns hit very hard.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I frequently use transfusions at the moment.

Yes. What works well for me is when they are still a bit away, just ADS and immediately fire a few rounds. It will not crit them but almost always hit them due to the (apparent) auto-aiming when ADS.

But once they are closer this no longer works and I keep shotguns for that purpose, too. I don’t think I seriously tried a quad yet, but my feeling is that want the fastest fire-rate shotgun, because I even tend to miss those guys up close (these armored maniacs in TVHM can be a real pain).
If I then first have to awkwardly reload because I missed the first shot, it does not help me much.
I’ll keep an eye out, though. Thanks.

So here is a tangent update / rant.

Since I still can gain another level before doing the next TVHM mission, I decided to finish the main TinyTina DLC mission in NVHM. Since I was already quite far, starting the Mines of Avarice. Or so I thought… Oh my.

Ok, I defeated the handsome sorcerer this morning (he didn’t drop anything, btw. even if it was the story mission defeat, only Butt Stallion dropped loot).

<rant>
But seriously, this Lair of Infinite Agony was actually pretty spot on with its name. The other maps were really ok and (like many) I really like the DLC in general. But this map? Endless halls that look very similar and endless mobs which became a real pain. I was getting into real trouble a few times and I am lv45 and I play this at NVHM (which is ~10 levels less). Then sidequests (I did the “Loot Ninja” and “Dead Brother” ones) which are also very similar. And then those crushers. Cost me like half a million before I figured it out. Ugh.
</rant>

Anyway, I read you can get the Unicornsplosion from Butt Stallion if you feed her with the amulet. The lazy web says to do this in a different place, but I want to find out whether it also works when feed her at the end of the questline. (I didn’t find anything that says it doesn’t, maybe nobody tried, but NPCs/Enemies typically give the same loot regardless of where you find them).

So it’s back to the Lair of Infinite Agony until this Mr. Miz or so shows up.

And then I guess I see if I can get a Pimpernel in NVHM, too. Should not waste the NVHM playthrough and if it is useful at all than sooner than later. It could probably help me defeating BUNKR in TVHM more easily.

\\// - Live long and prosper.

1 Like

The Lair of Infinite Agony is aptly named as you say. Once you are more familiar with it, you’ll find you can just run through most of the encounters, as it’s a slog to try to fight through everything. Even then, it’s a huge map that takes some time to get through. If you want the amulet, the faster way is to save at the start of the next area, then backtrack into the Lair, as Miz spawns close to that exit I believe.

Yeah, I dunno if an underleveled Pimpernel will do you much good in TVHM… It’s still a Pimpernel, but 10 levels is a stretch without a Bee…with a Bee, it’s just a Bee delivery device and it’s one of the better ones…The same would apply to the Sandhawk…These two are absurdly strong with the Bee because they have unlisted projectiles, all of which get the full amp damage bonus… Bunker isn’t too bad on any level if you know to stay in the covered area up the stairs from the platform you start on…If you get your angles right, you can hit him but he can’t hit you and you just have to watch for adds creeping up on you.

I don’t know if you can get the UnicornSplosion from ButtStallion in the Tina DLC, as it was added in the FFS DLC… Certainly no harm in testing it out…

2 Likes

If you’ve got a point in Bore Zero can instant kill Bunker (and a couple of other enemies in the game with wonky hitboxes).

The unicornsplosion can only be got from the FFS DLC. The mysterious amulet was just a joke with no real use for years before that DLC came out. It’s just a carbon copy of Swordsplosion though so if you already completed DLC main story you could do those sidequests to get the original instead.

The crusher is one of my most hated things in the game. That and the door in Washburne refinery that re-locks itself everytime you save and quit. A lot of things like that in the game stay open / off once you’ve completed the area but those two just reset every time.

1 Like

The Lair of Infinite Agony is aptly named as you say. Once you are more familiar with it, you’ll find you can just run through most of the encounters, as it’s a slog to try to fight through everything. Even then, it’s a huge map that takes some time to get through.

Yeah it was not too bad for Mr. Miz. (Wiz?). It maybe ~10 times to re-enter until he spawned, and then I could get to him quickly, because all the elevators and short-cuts remained open.

Yeah, I dunno if an underleveled Pimpernel will do you much good in TVHM… It’s still a Pimpernel, but 10 levels is a stretch without a Bee…with a Bee, it’s just a Bee delivery device and it’s one of the better ones.

I have lots of underleveled gear and doing ok-ish in TVHM, so I will give it a try. I don’t have tried to farm the Bee, yet, seriously (I hunted down a bunch of Treeants a few times, but didn’t go to Hunter Hellquist. I figured chances are that the Bee is higher level in TTDLC).

Bunker isn’t too bad on any level if you know to stay in the covered area up the stairs from the platform you start on…If you get your angles right, you can hit him but he can’t hit you and you just have to watch for adds creeping up on you.

Thanks, I’ll remember that. It was indeed not too bad in NVHM.

I don’t know if you can get the UnicornSplosion from ButtStallion in the Tina DLC, as it was added in the FFS DLC… Certainly no harm in testing it out…

I messed that up. I thought the “My Brittle Pony” sidequest was also in the TTDLC, but it is in the CLFFS DLC … which I have not installed argh (because it is not longer free as part of the handsome collection). Even if there was a chance for it to drop, without the correct DLC installed it wouldn’t happen.

1 Like

Hi,

If you’ve got a point in Bore Zero can instant kill Bunker (and a couple of other enemies in the game with wonky hitboxes).

Yes, I do. :slight_smile:

The unicornsplosion can only be got from the FFS DLC.

So I realized when I fed Butt Stallion with the Amulet nothing happened, and I thought oh well, I just do the My Brittle Pony quest then. … and realized it is in the other DLC that I don’t have installed. sigh

The mysterious amulet was just a joke with no real use for years before that DLC came out. It’s just a carbon copy of Swordsplosion though so if you already completed DLC main story you could do those sidequests to get the original instead.

Ah, indeed. I guess I got confused with so many special and weird weapons in this game. I misremembered that the Swordsplosion either required Seraphs (which I can’t really get yet) or was in the Torgue DLC. But it seems indeed almost as easy to get…

The crusher is one of my most hated things in the game. That and the door in Washburne refinery that re-locks itself everytime you save and quit. A lot of things like that in the game stay open / off once you’ve completed the area but those two just reset every time.

Ugh, just started Captain Scarlett DLC. Will see what’s up with that door.

Thanks.

Btw. I made a mule sigh. Not sure how bad a sign this is.

Took me longer than I hoped (~2 hours all together including some backpack and safe expansions), so guess 45mins (as @RavenOfArisia mentioned) is certainly a stretch to me. Claptrap talks a lot and there are some unavoidable fights to open the path or e.g. to get the shield core. It may also depend on the character. I tried Salvador as I assumed he is one of the easier ones, but then again you don’t get the special skills until almost at Sanctuary anyway at Lv5.

1 Like