(Newb here) Leveling in TVHM? - Loot drop rate in TVHM? and any good ARs?

Do it enough times and you’ll optimize your path :wink: If you’re getting to Sanctuary at more than lvl 8 you’re doing too much, for example. Remember, all you care about is getting the mule to the barn.
You’ll find over time that you can run past many fights, and (for example) the “gate” that prevents you from getting to Flynt’s ship until you fight the 3 normals and one badass doesn’t need to be opened, you can creatively run and jump over the obstacle with a little practice.
And yes, the dialog can slow you down but there are things you can do to optimize that also.
After you’ve done 20 or so it’ll be very fast :slight_smile: You might want to watch one or two of the speed-runs of Borderlands 2 to see how the most frantic make it through, can give you tips on what you can skip. Those manics can finish the game in roughly 2 hours.

And congrats on joining the ranks of hoarders! See if you can catch my 2,500 (or so) hoarded weapons!
–RoA

2 Likes

so for mule creation…I don’t bother with farming eridium for backpack and vault space, I just get what I have and then I found it’s faster to make a new mule rather than farm for eridium on an existing one… What I do is farm Knuckledragger for a Hornet at the start which gives me levels and then when I do get the Hornet, I have the levels and a weapon that insta clears Flynt and his ship basically, which is the only real barrier to getting to Sanctuary

1 Like

Do it enough times and you’ll optimize your path :wink: If you’re getting to Sanctuary at more than lvl 8 you’re doing too much, for example. Remember, all you care about is getting the mule to the barn.

Entered Sanctuary at Lv6 and got 7 by discovering Claptrap’s stash. (Boom-Bewm had Skulls when I went past them.) So, yeah, I tried to avoid any distractions.

You’ll find over time that you can run past many fights, and (for example) the “gate” that prevents you from getting to Flynt’s ship until you fight the 3 normals and one badass doesn’t need to be opened, you can creatively run and jump over the obstacle with a little practice.

I suppose. Here is where I assumed I couldn’t avoid to fight:

• Knuckledragger (and a few bullymongs bit before, a “defend claptrap” mission part).
  • Free Liar’s Berg.
  • Defend Claptrap before fighting Boom-Bewm
  • Defeat Boom-Bewm and shoot the gate. Here actually I stayed and also shot the bandits coming through the gate, which takes quite a while. Maybe I could have left BigBertha and just ran past them? But at my level (4) at the time, I probably would have died a few times, slowing me down even more?
  • Also I took Boom-Bewm from the outside, i.e. I went into the Arena so they spawned, then jumped out again and went back to the drawbridge area and took potshots. That probably took longer, but because of the skull symbol, I thought dying costs even more time…
  • Wait till the main gate to Flynt’s camp opens (but no fight necessary).
  • Near the end of the first area in Flynt’s camp, near a Zed’s healing station seems the part you suggest you can jump over? (didn’t see a badass there, though, but I may just have not noticed).
  • Shortly after there is another “defend claptrap part”
  • Then it is all the way up to Flynt without further distractions except Flynt himself (which took me a while).
  • [First Bloodshot camp requires no fighting (just pick up the transmitter in/out).]
  • Fight off the guys from Corporal Reese (died there once, because of some bullymongs coming from behind, that slowed me down, although I could teleport to the Runner.)
  • Fight some bloodshots at the camp until one drops the shield core. I was lucky and it took only like 9 bloodshots until one dropped the core in front of my feet.

And yes, the dialog can slow you down but there are things you can do to optimize that also.
After you’ve done 20 or so it’ll be very fast :slight_smile: You might want to watch one or two of the speed-runs of Borderlands 2 to see how the most frantic make it through, can give you tips on what you can skip. Those manics can finish the game in roughly 2 hours.

Hahahaha. Awesome.

And congrats on joining the ranks of hoarders! See if you can catch my 2,500 (or so) hoarded weapons!

No offense, but if I really do catch you, something probably went really wrong. :wink:

\\//

2 Likes

so for mule creation…I don’t bother with farming eridium for backpack and vault space, I just get what I have and then I found it’s faster to make a new mule rather than farm for eridium on an existing one…

I had to do a bunch of quit&save to switch between my main char and the mule anyway to transfer items (since the stash has only four slots). So everytime I loaded the mule, I just went through Scooters and CrimsonRaiderHQ boxes. I was lucky and got 10-11 bars of eridium in one run (less in 2 more runs), together with the 4 you get from Scooter in the first place I could expand the backpack and the safe twice. I left it at that, though.

What I do is farm Knuckledragger for a Hornet at the start which gives me levels and then when I do get the Hornet, I have the levels and a weapon that insta clears Flynt and his ship basically, which is the only real barrier to getting to Sanctuary

That’s a great tip, thanks.

1 Like

Your list looks good, shouldn’t take 2 hours to do those things.

This is the one and only place I use the Contraband Sky Rocket. Run into the BoomBewm spot, watch through the cut scene, then toss a skyrocket at the turret. Wrecks it. Of course, be careful you don’t hit an obstacle and have the grenade bounce back in your face.

Yes, you can jump onto the roof of the shack and get by these guys.

On the way up the Flynt structure you can shortcut around most fo the bandits. Once you’ve picked up the hoist claptrap objective, go up the stairs, there is a shipping container on the right. Go to the back of it, jump on the ammo chest there, then jump on the container. You can then jump (will take a few tries to get the feel of it) onto the girder sticking out into space, run across that, jump to the heavy chain, then up the chain to where you lift clappy. Again, a vid would be good to watch on this, lemme look…ah, can’t find one, maybe I’ll make one this afternoon (though I’ve got 3 running now).

For Flynt my technique is to jump down into his arena, run like heck straight ahead while hugging the left side, cut scene happens, then run further and drop down to the catwalk you just were on. You can now safely shoot Flynt without getting mobs on you and you have good cover.
Corporal reese guys die to grenades pretty easily. NOT the skyrocket unless you’re feeling lucky, just any good MIRV grenade you find on the way (or at the 3 horns vendor) makes quick work of them.

The shield core always drops from the first psycho that appears after the fight has started from the shack on the far left side of the arena, so you can get it with one pyscho killed. If you pot-shot from the top of the hill (near the entrance to that area) you aggro them, you’ll see him emerge. Most times he’ll actually start running towards you, kill him half way up the slope and he’ll drop the core close.

EDIT: Here’s a vid of the chain skip I was talking about.

–RoA

2 Likes

Your list looks good, shouldn’t take 2 hours to do those things.

I guess there may also be practice around not looting when not absolutely necessary (I certainly grabbed a bunch of chests which were probably not needed and in the beginning I opened every ammo box), etc.
And I certainly lost time in Sanctuary going back and forth between the characters, not only transferring the stuff to be muled but also stuff to be sold, etc. I didn’t try to beat 45mins. :slight_smile:

This is the one and only place I use the Contraband Sky Rocket. Run into the BoomBewm spot, watch through the cut scene, then toss a skyrocket at the turret. Wrecks it. Of course, be careful you don’t hit an obstacle and have the grenade bounce back in your face.

As you suggest below, I did throw the skyrocket at the Corporal Reese bandits and it blew me up myself. I was super confused, I didn’t even realize I had a grenade mod active. Only when I went to the bloodshots camp to get the shield core, I looked at it and wondered what is this thing. Also that it didn’t have damage on the card and later realized it’s level dependent.
So using that for Boom-Bewm sounds great.

Yes, you can jump onto the roof of the shack and get by these guys.

Ack. Although just getting there put me in FFYL 3-4 times, I probably need to find a safer way than just straight through the middle for everyone to shoot at me.

On the way up the Flynt structure you can shortcut around most fo the bandits. Once you’ve picked up the hoist claptrap objective, go up the stairs, there is a shipping container on the right. Go to the back of it, jump on the ammo chest there, then jump on the container. You can then jump (will take a few tries to get the feel of it) onto the girder sticking out into space, run across that, jump to the heavy chain, then up the chain to where you lift clappy. Again, a vid would be good to watch on this, lemme look…ah, can’t find one, maybe I’ll make one this afternoon (though I’ve got 3 running now).

Thanks for the video! Hmm. That is an area where I have no trouble just running past the enemies. I consistently reach the lever for claptrap without losing too much shield, including for the mule.

For Flynt my technique is to jump down into his arena, run like heck straight ahead while hugging the left side, cut scene happens, then run further and drop down to the catwalk you just were on. You can now safely shoot Flynt without getting mobs on you and you have good cover.

That sounds super useful. In a NVHM re-run with my Zer0, Flynt is already in his seat, so you can engage him before dropping in, but this doesn’t work for the first time. So there is a way to essentially to do him what I did with Boom-Bewm. Thanks.

Corporal reese guys die to grenades pretty easily. NOT the skyrocket unless you’re feeling lucky, just any good MIRV grenade you find on the way (or at the 3 horns vendor) makes quick work of them.

Yeah, NOT the skyrocket… See above. :rofl:

The shield core always drops from the first psycho that appears after the fight has started from the shack on the far left side of the arena, so you can get it with one pyscho killed. If you pot-shot from the top of the hill (near the entrance to that area) you aggro them, you’ll see him emerge. Most times he’ll actually start running towards you, kill him half way up the slope and he’ll drop the core close.

Thanks!

1 Like

So in case anyone cares, here is another update.

Meanwhile I beat the story in TVHM. It was indeed not too hard in the end.

I was worried again I would overlevel because I farmed the Bunker like 10-15 times (and he gave ~22kExp every time) before I upleveled only because of that and stopped. Alas, no Sham. :frowning:

But the remaining parts turned out to be not that bad and I finished the Warrior at lv50 close to 51. During that fight I had a harder time with the Handsome Jack clones, since I couldn’t figure out how to find the real one. Once the shield was depleted it was more clear, but until then I just had to kill a large number of clones. Also it helped that I got a Bee, I suppose.

So, in 2.5-mode I am now gathering equipment for UVHM. So far I have:

• Lv49(?) Bee (which is nice, but also dangerous). 25k amp damage 10k shield.
  • Farmed a Lv49 corrosive Lyudmilla, which took longer than previous times, because I had to now fight through the Spiderants instead of just running past them (because then they would just kill me) and it took me a while to find a fairly safe way to engage Gettle (i.e. let him focus on Mobley and decimate his health from a distance), still died a fairly bunch of times. Meanwhile I learned that you can reach boot hill with a Technical from the otherside, but I haven’t tried this yet.
  • L50 Vulcan; not too impressed. Since most enemies I encountered are shielded and/or armored fire is not that effective. Very slow fire rate and recoil.
  • L50 Impaler: seems not too bad, but the Bee seems more useful for slow Sniper approaches.
  • L50 Badaboom.
  • L50 Unkempt Harold, not DP, but it actually works really well, too. The fire rate seems much higher than the DPUH and given the reduced ammo cost, it is not really worse.
  • L50 Social Conference Call: have yet to learn how to best use this. It seems the side-split pellets happen at a fixed specific distance, so they are not always really useful. Also the actual pellets travel more slowly than it seems. With the Bee it still seems to make good impact. Also the very fast fire-rate make it work well.

Currently working through Scarlett’s missions to get an L50 Pimpernel and Sandhawk.

Is it worthwhile btw. to finish Scarlett’s mission rewards-wise (I didn’t in NVHM, I stopped when I got the sandhawk)? I will finish all remaining quests in NVHM when the XP gain should not matter for UVHM any more of course, but if there is a useful reward to get before starting UVHM, I may finish this one this time. Ok it seems the main equipment reward is “Greed”, which seems useful…

Are there any other must-haves for Zer0 in UVHM (I have a bunch of slag grenades now).

Will report how UVHM feels like once I started it.

Thanks,
\\//

2 Likes

Yes, most of us consider the Jack fight harder than the Warrior fight.

Yup, The Jump. You need to use a barrel technical for the additional boost time. I’ve done it thousands of times (really), I’ll see if I can upload a vid soon. And the 49 Lyuda will be good for the first section of UVHM.

I personally don’t think so. Getting the Pimp and sand hawk are as far as I go. The Leviatain fight is long, and the chest room has never given me much to be excited about.
BTW, I recommend a Slag pimpernel, that can be useful for all of UVHM (even a level 50 one) as a very very reliable slagging weapon, which you need. Farm it by dashbaording out each time you don’t get one until you do.
I think, with a UH and a Lyuda and hopefully a slag Pimp you’ll be fine for entering UVHM.
–RoA

2 Likes

I personally don’t think so. Getting the Pimp and sand hawk are as far as I go. The Leviatain fight is long, and the chest room has never given me much to be excited about.

Got it, thanks.

BTW, I recommend a Slag pimpernel, that can be useful for all of UVHM (even a level 50 one) as a very very reliable slagging weapon, which you need. Farm it by dashbaording out each time you don’t get one until you do.

Too late, but I guess I am fine for slag with the Magic Missiles anyway. So far they worked really well.

I think, with a UH and a Lyuda and hopefully a slag Pimp you’ll be fine for entering UVHM.

I got 2 Pimpernels, a Monstrous Fire Pimpernel and a Banbury (?) Corrosive Pimpernel. I suppose not the perfect combination, but I didn’t want to farm too long.

I also got a Flying Shock Sandhawk.

So far in UVHM I just finished “A Train To Catch”. So far a quite interesting experience and despite all reading different than I assumed.

The main unexpected things, is that the mobs are really really dangerous and killed me far more often than any of the mini-bosses. That may be due to the equipment, though.

I didn’t use slag as often as I assumed I would, but it definitely makes a big difference and with the Magic Missile, it is not too cumbersome to use.

Also I use Deception far more often (which I also had neglected mostly in NVHM and TVHM).

What’s really annoying is the high damage output of the mods. A random shot from a Marauder really far away can one-shot my shield and put my health in the low 10%.

Of course this happens mostly when I use the Bee, which has low shield power, and I can last longer with the Impaler. Also I realized I can run past mobs with the Impaler and using deception, which I fist thought was impossible in UHVM (I fought my way all the way up to Flynt, but after the first large camp in Frostburn Canyon I gave it a shot and could run into the Firehawks Lair and dying only once or twice).

Of course I die a lot, but that was expected.

I haven’t figured out a good way to defeat the Ironclad Lunatics. I think in the firehawk lair about a dozen come at you and every one killed me at least once. Switching from the Pimpernel to the Lyuda helped a bit, but then ate up my ammo.

I didn’t find a good use of neither the Sandhawk nor the Conference Call in UVHM. Maybe they are not good for Zer0. Even the Flying Sandhawk travels slow and thus I mostly miss the shots. The Lascaux works a bit better there. The Conference Call side-bullets never seem to hit anything and the damage seems low, even with the Bee.

If there are any tips how to use them more effectively, I would be grateful.

Ward3n and Wilhelm were a piece of cake this time. Well Warden didn’t put up his stupid eye-shield and two shock transfusions and a few shots with the corrosive pimp and that was it. Similar to Wilhelm.

But overall UVHM seems ok.

Now the big question is how to proceed. I just started Lv53 and could do sidequests or continue on the story, which will make some sidequests unavailable for a while soon. I first thought I do the story until my current equipment doesn’t work well anymore and then do some sidequests for upgraded loot. But now I am worried that some sidequests may not be available when I need them (e.g. I was considering getting a Flame of the Firehawk at Lv55 or so).

Or is it likely that I can finish the story without having to upgrade equipment (but that seems unlikely?)

Thanks,
\\//

1 Like

Yup. That will be true throughout.

That’s why you’re running low on ammo. Slag-shoot-slag-shoot. You really need to slag everything if you want to keep a base of ammo available.

Slag & head shots. Ironclads are, body-wise, weak to corrosive BUT their heads, which are their crit spots, are weak to fire. So fire weapon crit shots kill 'em.

I don’t use either myself. As Maya I use magic missiles, Lyudas of all elements, Hellfire SMG, usually a Hornet, and some type of DPUH.

Sidequests scale and will always be there waiting.
Quests and quest rewards in UVHM get the level that you are when they are picked up/selected. For example, you’re lvl 53 now. So if you pick up the Cult Following quest now, it will start at lvl 53. If you go on with Story mode and get to, say, lvl 55 and then pick up Cult Following it too will be at lvl 55.
Which also means that if you pick up a quest at lvl 53 and don’t finish it until you are lvl 60, then the quest reward will still be lvl 53.

So pick 'em up whenever, they’ll still be there and leveling along with you.

Only time side-quests are not available is when a character/location is not available, like when Lilith is in Jack’s clutches you can’t pickup or complete some Lilith missions.
–RoA

2 Likes