Next-Gen Borderlands 3, FL4K's Fourth Skill Tree, and More Revealed at PAX Online

Catch up on all the Borderlands 3 news from the Gearbox PAX Digital Showcase!

After a year full of glorious, mayhem-riddled memories, Borderlands 3 still has plenty of chaotic content on the way. During the Gearbox PAX Digital Showcase, you got a first look at what’s in store for Borderlands 3, including new features on the incoming generation of consoles and an entirely new Skill Tree for FL4K as part of upcoming premium content.

We’re excited to confirm that Borderlands 3 will be playable on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PlayStation 5, with the Series X and PS5 supporting 4K resolution at 60fps in single-player. With the power of the new consoles comes new features, including additional ways to enjoy local play: three- and four-player splitscreen will be available on the next-gen consoles. Additionally, we’ve heard your two-player splitscreen feature requests loud and clear: vertical splitscreen in two-player co-op will be available in Borderlands 3’s next-gen versions, and will also be added to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions via a free update.

Best of all, existing owners of Borderlands 3 on current-gen platforms can easily transition to the next-gen versions within the same console family. If you own Borderlands 3 on Xbox One, you’ll be able to play the Xbox Series X/S version, and if you own the game on PlayStation 4, you’ll be able to play the PlayStation 5 version. Your add-on content and save files will carry over as well, so you can pick up right where you left off. Additionally, you can expect to hear more about Borderlands 3 cross-play next year.

Gearbox Software Creative Director Graeme Timmins shared the news that another paid DLC is coming later this year, bringing an additional Skill Tree for each Vault Hunter and more to those who purchase it. We got a first look at FL4K the Beastmaster’s new Trapper Skill Tree, which features the powerful Gravity Snare Action Skill and a lovable line of Hyperion Loaderbots as a new pet type. Putting skill points into the Trapper Skill Tree will greatly increase shields and survivability for both FL4K and their pet, while the Gravity Snare Action Skill grants FL4K an effective means of crowd control. When thrown, the Gravity Snare will periodically toss nearby enemies into the air and slam them into the ground, interrupting their attack animations in the process and making it easier to isolate and eliminate your targets.

As for the robotic additions to FL4K’s pet posse, the Hyperion Loaderbot comes in three varieties. There’s the ranged ION Loader, which fires slow-moving projectiles that can be shot to create powerful shock novas; the melee BUL Loader, which charges enemies and knocks them into the air with its shield (or just roundhouse kicks them); and the WAR Loader, which packs an incendiary shotgun, can toss grenades, and unleashes homing missiles on command.

That’s just a taste of what’s in store for Borderlands 3, and we’ll have plenty more to share with you soon. Until then, thanks for tuning in!

15 Likes

@Noelle_GBX With the announcement of vertical split screen will this fix the issues with the tiny unreadable text sizes and UI?

8 Likes

Vertical Split, Crossplay, 4th Skill Trees and more content? Am I dreaming?

With the new level caps I am sure will come new level caps. Is the any word if the same small, frequent level caps will be the method? Or will we see bigger gaps in levels like prior BL titles?

This made my day, I put cash aside to transition to ps5.

Looks like somebody delivered a feast!

2 Likes

Please make FL4K’s loader pet Jimmy Jenkins! :smiley:

Poor Jimmy always needed a good home!

7 Likes

Oh wow, this is the confirmation I was looking for: a fourth full tree for each Vault Hunter. I’ll take more combat options all day, don’t even care if I don’t like 'em.

1 Like

A year of glorious bugs, and sweeping balance and core gameplay changes. GBX is the mayhem mode lol.

14 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I knew about these things since hours because some news outlets already dropped there articles early, before deleting them again of course and the whole time I’m kinda wondering why 2K gave their ok to this. I mean sure they want money but BL3 runs the worst on the updated next gen consoles and now we get “ports” which will probably run even worse? Either way were looking at a giant patch that miraculously finally patches everything before Nov. 10th :laughing: or more likely this thing will crash the new consoles day one…

Are you seriously promoting a next gen version with things that have been a stable in the series for years now? No matter if you add some of them to the “last gen” versions as a free update too.

And the 4th skill trees are ■■■■■■■ paid DLC are you kidding me, talk about pay to win.

Will we have to purchase these individualy? I don’t even want to think about the price…

Also is the FL4K one released alongside the others? As in: at the same time.

Also a Loader for FL4k, I know this makes many people happy but they are a BEASTmaster, I don’t need another robot (let alone a Loader) if I’m already playing one. Really disappointed here…

Also no word on the Like, follow & obey head/skins and if Bloody Harvest will return or if it will stay this time.

Edit: Oh and do I read that right that cross-play is only coming to next gen?

Edit2: Oh and just to make sure, nothing of my rant is directed at you directly @Noelle_GBX :heart:

4 Likes

I’m a little upset that the new skill trees are premium. I’ll shell out some cash to get it as I like to mix and find what build suits me. I kinda start having that issue with Zane, knowing not much skills I wanna put my points into.

I’ll keep my eye out on the new skill trees whenever they’re news about it

3 Likes

So am I crazy or does it sound like you are going to have to pay for a dlc in order to unlock the 4th skill trees for the characters? The way it was worded seems awfully odd to me O.o

EDT: NVRMIND it seems I’m not crazy… wow…

3 Likes

Yup really thought cross play was mentioned to be in this version of the game at some point when I purchased it…

3 Likes

Thanks Noelle, sounds cool!

:beers: cheers and here’s for another year.

It was supposed to but Sony wasn’t up to it then.

The question is can this even work with the current version, like you I wanted to play with my best friend on PS4, since launch.

I’m always a little frighten of such questions regarding content for another console generation, since Bioware pulled that totally dick move of releasing the last Dragon Age Inquisiton DLC only on next gen…

Like I can understand it for Fight for Sanctuary but with the now coming 4th skill trees being paid DLC and already announced features only on next gen I’m really not looking forward to anything.

Sorry for this long off-topic response :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

please be pc to console crossplay and not just ps4 to ps5.
teasing crossplay then it was just steam to epic was just a massive disappointment, please dont let it be that

3 Likes

Oh god I didn’t even thought about this :sweat:

It really should be cross-play for everything. Atleast I want PS to Xbox crossplay, not too sure about PC because of mods etc.

Xbox to PC might even fix my couch co-op issues since I could play on PC with partner on XBox… But I don’t think that will happen either.

1 Like

If Sony can stop being so stubborn and be okay with it. I hope Sony don’t give bad excuses not to allow cross-play. I have many people who on pc playing this. It would be great to play with them

1 Like

Geez, thanks.

2 Likes

Had a read here… Lol I need Borderlands on my ps5, 3 classes to build yet… Word has been delivered, of course I’ll will buy in I WANT ALL THE EXPANSIONS.

…when I finish Fustercluck it means this isn’t over, tomorrow the world may end and hindsight would show that;

more Borderlands is not something you look at negatively.

don’t know what you got til it’s gone

1 Like

It will be full crossplay. And I guess it wasn’t up to Sony to not being in game in the first place. There are full crossplay games like Rocket League for years now.

1 Like