No Battleplan : 05/11/17

So it’s perfectly acceptable for major issues making the game less fun to not be addressed for six months then? Tell that to all the people who have stopped playing because they were sick of this game’s balance issues. I’m not trying to paint it as a simple flip the switch type of thing, but I’m also not eager to brush aside major issues that are causing people to quit the game. These aren’t sudden issues I’m demanding be addressed immediately, these have lingered for months.

To be fair @Jythri may have acknowledged that the numbers could be tweaked, but they’ve also said they’re looking into changing the mechanics of her silence for a better fix. That’s probably something that requires a full patch.

2 Likes

Correct, that’s explained in the post I linked above. They don’t want to implement a temporary fix to alleviate the problem that they would then revert with the update so they’ve elected to simply let the problem linger and watch people quit the game because some of these issues just sap the fun out of it. I’m watching people quit, queue times rise, and I’m questioning that strategy.

3 Likes

Nothing better than ghalt hooking from east or west on an incursion map (rather than north to south) and seeing the enemy player desperately take off post-hook the WRONG direction. Haha…

1 Like

Couple that hook with a blind from Caldarius and you’ve described one of my most embarrassing moments in this game …

Is bolas stronger than instant shield recharge delay?

Because they do care about balance and probably are going to change bolas to something different.

Then why are they going to take 6 months to do it? I’m not saying they don’t care at all, I’m saying they don’t prioritize it nearly highly enough.

1 Like

Yes, if the resource and time constraints that we (you & I) have already discussed is driving the delay. As a counterpoint to Battleborn/Gearbox, I’ve been waiting almost 2 years for a game breaking fix for Darksiders II, Deathinitive Edition, that is NOT coming! And that’s a MUCH smaller game than Battleborn. At least w/ GBX I KNOW that a patch is coming, slow as hell though it may be for me (in case you missed it I’m accepting that “slow” is my subjective view because it’s entirely possible that six or more months is the fastest GBX is capable of moving due to constraints that I and you are unaware of). Look, you either assume that they are operating in good faith or you assume they are not. For my money, I’m assuming good faith because of one man, Randy Varnell (a.k.a., @Jythri). Despite the crap (i.e., think 2K, think lawyers, think pointy haired people who have NOTHING to w/ BB development) that’s going on behind closed doors he has been a steadfast source of candidness and information and THAT’S NOT HIS JOB!

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly, and didn’t someone say it takes roughly 4 weeks for certification? One can hope!

Also with Jythri finishing up on the patch notes yesterday, it might be a stretch but we could potentially see the notes in tomorrows battleplan, but my guess is within 2 weeks!

4 Likes

This is the entire difference in perspective, I don’t think gearbox kept the faith with a lot of people, whether it was actually their fault or not the PERCEPTION is enough to make people wonder

2 Likes

I’m well aware they have more constraints now than in the past, I’m actually arguing that they aren’t properly managing the resources they do have. I’m looking at what appears to be a significant amount of people who have left this game over the last couple of months and arguing we’d have been better served seeing some of these major issues addressed and having continual progress even if it meant delaying this update. I’m arguing putting 100% of their resources into the update while neglecting the game’s current issues was a mistake and as a result I’m watching the people I used to play with quit the game and I’m watching queue times get longer.

3 Likes

I want to believe, though sometimes our behavior suggests otherwise, that as a species we are capable of looking beyond the optics (you used the word “perception” but I’m calling it optics to make a larger point; and though I want sooo badly to make a disparaging political reference here I can’t because of [in the voice of Boldur: stupid forum rules; Boldur smells conspiracy]) and getting at the reality behind what we perceive. That said, I admit that even reality itself is subjective. But as someone who works in software and have had to deal w/ customers that think they know how sh!t really works and are happy to tell me that something is “simple” and shouldn’t take a long time, completely missing the fact that sometimes there are other forces at work than just the thing, I am sympathetic to GBX’s plight. And because I believe they or at least @Jythri is acting in good faith I keep the faith :smile_cat:.

2 Likes

Lol this reminds me

“Jason Chaffetz: Can’t Afford Trumpcare? Don’t Buy an iPhone”

Maybe they are managing their resources perfectly maybe not, we just dont know but for sure is not what we want.

You’re right, we don’t know. I’m just surveying the current situation and saying it looks bad and a lot of people (myself included) have lost a lot of confidence lately. I sincerely hope they prove me wrong and the update turns out to mitigate and even validate the harm that I believe has been done to the playerbase over the last few months.

3 Likes

I don’t just look at this appearance of an individual action. I look for trends and use those as a rule of thumb. Rarely does that pattern change(and in my experience most of the time people revert to those patterns)

Edit: the reason I mention perception is because reputation, and AGAIN how is gearbox’s reputation to most people? They had one title that was great…with many failures and issues.

3 Likes

Stop getting me excited lol

1 Like

can someone explain to me how “Loss by First blood” makes sense ? XD

1 Like

Except thats how games are internally. Any change could jeapordize everything, because thats how finicky computers are. I mean, its not like changing a variable for duration / damage of a skill will affect whatever new thing they are going for.

Unless they are rebuilding all of the source code, and using everything new, changing a duration should be good to go, due to it being a seperate variable. If it does cause issues, its probalbly would cause issues before.

2 Likes

Ayy. Been playing it all week.

1 Like

I asked Randy to elaborate on what could and couldn’t be done with a hotfix. specifically if they could nerf the damage amp on bolas in a hotfix. This was his reply.