Nothing but problems getting this game to run

When first downloading the game I was able to get homeworld 2 remastered to run fine but Homeworld 1 remastered would crash when starting a new game. The screen would flicker, my mouse would appear as the loading symbol, the loading bar would complete, the screen would go blank, I would then hear a beep followed by the engine warping sound and the game would crash to desk top. In trying to fix the problem I tried to run the game in a window… now both Homeworld 1 remastered and Homeworld 2 Remastered open, but the window is so small you can’t even see the game. Here is a link to a screenshot to show what I mean.

Nothing I can do will extend the window and even uninstalling and re-installing the game does nothing. I have also tried deleting all my driver software and updating my graphics driver to no effect. Needless to say my rage is building.

EDIT: Tried running the original games and Homeworld 2 (original) crashes to desktop immediately but Homeworld 1 (original) runs fine… so yeah I’m going to go bang my head against a wall now.

Thinking that I could get the game to run to the main menu again if only I could get it to stop opening in windowed mode I deleted my Profile (homeworld -> Homeworld RM -> Bin -> Profiles) and put steam in offline mode (so it wouldn’t redownload them from the cloud). Now my screen goes blank and my monitor kicks out a “Not Supported” error. Seriously what the hell is going on…

While searching in vain for an INI file I might edit to try and fix this ■■■■ I found error messages in the Release folder with time stamps that seem to match the problem I was originally having (that being the crash to desktop when trying to play Homeworld 1 Remasted), here is a copy of that message.

HomeworldRM.exe caused a Microsoft C++ Exception in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:76d32f71.
Error occurred at 2/26/2015 02:41:36.
HomeworldRM.exe, run by Operator.
Microsoft Windows XP?.
8 processor(s), type 586.
0 MBytes physical memory.

MiniDump failed to save.

The rest of the message is a series of registry/file locations.

Well I finally got the game to work after a few hours more of beating my head against a wall I tried forcing the game to run in compatibility mode for windows 7 AND forcing it to run in 640 by 480. This appears to have kicked it out of whatever funk it was in and allowed me to load the game without crashing the GPU. Then I was able to edit the resolution settings, log back out, take the game out of the compatibility modes and it works now with no problems. Still no idea what the hell happened (best guess is that it was trying to run in an unsupported resolution but how that survived two wipes and re installs is beyond me) and you guys should really get on fixing this, but at least it runs now. Good luck to every one else having problems getting this thing to run.

I’ve tried your 640x480 and windows 7 compatibility mode, still no joy on my end, have any other suggestions? also, 2 clean wipes, now.

Did you go into Properties for the executable, and check the “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings” box (under Compatibility tab)?

Yes, I did this:
-Windows 7 compatibility mode
-640x480 mode
-Disabled display scaling

still no fix.

I have the same problem. This is my first Steam experience… I just went to c\program files x86\steam\steamapps\common\homeworld\hwlauncher\launcher.exe and changed properties to windows 7 compatibility mode
640x480
No scaling

Launched the launcher, got low resolution screen but still orphaned paralyzed window when trying to launch homeworld rm.

Check that. Launched homeworld 2 rm from the modified launcher as above. It worked. I was able to get in to the video settings and fix it. Still doesn’t like 1080p. There is a 720p-sized area of the screen that the mouse works in. Running 720p resolves the issue. Shame… my frugal rig could run this game full responsibility and detail fairly well…