Notice to future players: PVP is required

I never said anyone would have to join PvP or denied the existence of those who don´t care for PvP at all. I just pointed out that the info is open to read for everyone and that many prefer PvP, me not included.

I´m a main PvE-player too and anxious towards mny details regarding PvP. But its fun in private games.

4 Likes

Would really like for lore challenges to have PVE alternatives. Lots of people have already asked for that, but the reply was just to lower the requirements in PVP. In it’s current state, just think the game should be described as a combination of PVP and PVE, not implying that you can complete it one mode or another.

1 Like

Is a game like Battleborn ever able to be completed? I don’t really think so. It’s kind of the point. You play to play, not to finish it. Even if you have every character’s Lore complete, every trophy earned, there’s still new content on the way.

2 Likes

@Ganjamira,

Nope, sorry if I was implying that.

I was just thanking you for pointing out that PVP is not required. That the lore challenges are fairly clear to those who read them. I am glad you and many others are enjoying PVP.

It’s just not for all of us nor is it required.

2 Likes

That’s definitely reasonable. Can see how from an achievement/trophy hunting standpoint the way this game is marketed could be a bit confusing, but that’s probably why they added the “Many Ways to Play” section on the home page. Don’t remember that being there before release. Can also understand where @CharacterIV is coming from; maybe adding “to complete all current content” to the thread title would clear up the perspective a bit.

As far as PvE challenges instead of PvP, before this game came out I was 100% with you, but after playing it a bit it’s actually interesting enough to me that I got PS Plus to try out the PvP (first console MP experience in fact). Not everyone’s going to like it, of course, but I think it’s really hard for Gearbox to please everyone. From their perspective (complete speculation on my part of course), the whole point of this game was to branch out into a different genre and challenge themselves because they were getting bored of doing the same old game time after time, and I applaud such an endeavor.

I too appreciate all the work Gearbox has put into this game. I don’t like PVP (translation “I suck at it”) and when I’ve tried to play it, my team members were less than enthusiastic with my playing; I got angry messages. I believe that people who really like PVP would appreciate it if people like me stayed out of their matches.

5 Likes

Yeah…personally I think one of the main reasons new players don’t continue playing this game is how tough getting started in PvP matches is. I’ve read countless posts on reddit and other places how terrible some new players PvP experiences are. A lot of folks just won’t stick with it and tough it out until they get better. Losing is rough in this game.

Honestly don’t mind loosing, actually won one match. Just got the sense that I was ruining the experience for the rest of the team.

If you just tell them your new to pvp, most players wont mind and will be more than happy to give you pointers.

1 Like

If they wanna keep their players, they should really get a below rank 15 mm.

Yep good warning, I wish I had read this before I purchased the game, would have saved me some money! While I do greatly enjoy the PvE game, I have less than zero interest in playing moba-style PvP and was thoroughly disheartened to see that some of my favorite characters require (often lots) of PvP in order to unlock their legendary gear. This almost ruins the game for me. I’ll still mess around in the multiplayer campaign some, but I feel like I’ve lost almost all sense of progression for many characters on the roster, because I know I’ll never touch moba PvP.

4 Likes

Where does that leave me at CR 21 who knows the concepts and can learn the tactics after a few matches but just doesn’t have the gear or the time to practice every day?

Things like the Battle School that some of the players are doing to teach newcomers would be a great way to get them more involved and have better experiences. Really any type of Versus Private practice could be good for new and low level players, myself included.

As long as you don’t care about any wins/losses/permanent PvP record, you could always try to get into Public matches with a pre-made team and try to coordinate with others on the other team that you just want to get your lore done. Consider it boosting like any other non-MOBA that has MP achievements in it. Granted it seems most people in such a traditionally competitive genre care about wins/losses, I’ve seen plenty people on the forums talk about working on lore challenges together, even if they’re on opposing teams. Eventually I’d like to get all the trophies for this, so I’m sure I’ll be bugging people left and right to help me do just that. :smiley:

15 was just the beat number off of the top of my head. And it should only really be for new players. If you know the concept, I think the matchmaking should carry you the rest of the way. Sadly it’s not properly doing good that rn apparently.

Wouldn’t know, have yet to queue for anything MP, heh; all the MM changes to date are irrelevant to my experience. During the beta I joined a 5-man pre-made for Meltdown Paradise and we got stomped by people half our CR, so obviously MMV on the MM conditions.

I agree that it’s important that new players, and prospective buyers, be aware that this game has a very strong PvP bias/requirement.

There are currently only 13 characters whose lore challenges can be completed without playing PvP. And based on Alani and Pendles, it doesn’t look like that number will ever increase.

As a PvE only player, my last hope for this game is that the 5 new DLC missions, that I’ve already paid for through the Season Pass, are more like “Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep” and “Claptastic Voyage” in scope than “Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot”!

1 Like

I dunno. I can’t think of a single game with PvP (that I’ve played) that doesn’t have some PvP required achievements/trophies. (I am assuming that’s what the OP is referring to. Sorry if I misinterpreted).

As for lore requirements being locked behind PvP, I think it’s pretty clear that the devs want people to play both sides of this game, and they’re sticking to that philosophy. (Insert “PvE is required for loot” here).

As someone with anxiety disorder (only mention it because it’s relevant here), I completely understand not wanting to engage in PvP (it took me a while to warm up to it in general, and even more so in this game, due to how team-based it is and how foreign it was). I know it’s even worse if you’ve had some bad experiences. I also get that some people don’t want to play PvP just for the simple fact that they aren’t interested.

All that being said, if unlocking the lore and not just googling it is important to you, you might try making a matchmaking thread for like-minded individuals (if one doesn’t already exist). PvP has just as much of the humor/flavor of the campaign, you can learn more about your favorite characters through PvP-exclusive dialogue (I know this kind of thing is a big draw for many PvE exclusive players), and the challenge of playing the the matchups (from 1v1 to team comp in general) is a really fun aspect of gameplay that you can’t replicate in PvE.

Anyway, this is veering off topic. But, if you’re on XB1, send me an FR and a message (DudeVonDude S3) and I’ll gladly play in a full pre-made with you with people who don’t care if you’re the worst player in existence. Seriously.

It’s not so fun with randos, but with if you can get some pals in a premade, it’s pretty rad! Even better if you can get 10 together and do a private 5v5.

For new players it’s like “somewhere in the game, dig it out”.

Nope. Got any source for this? I got mine: [Poll] How much do you PvE/PvP in %?

Where does that myth come from anyway?

3 Likes

CR 61 player here, about 4 or 5 weeks into playing the full release version. Have yet to go live for A SINGLE PvP match at all. Just minutes ago finished a THIRD toon to level 15 (WF), 35 matches (including a last one, 3:18 just to get exactly 5 XP to top off the 2,480), 22:07 total play time, ALL PvE.

MASTERED Oscar Mike with ZERO PvP time, too. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Not a single second spent in live PvP.

PvP is USUALLY, but not ALWAYS, required to master a character and/or complete its lore.

2 Likes

Just for the record, I’m CR100, have mastered 8 characters, and have 7 more at level 15. I’ve obviously enjoyed the game.
At this point I’ve practically memorized the PVE maps and are disappointed that, so far, PVP seems to be getting all the attention.
However, not prepared to surrender yet and looking forward to new content.

2 Likes