One of the 5 heroes being Nova?

Another possibility might be Lenore’s heir. The Empress could well be dead/gone and beyond anyone’s ability to contact her, but there’s probably someone who is actually a legitimate heir.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be cool, too.

Honestly I would rather this be a new character like magna carta, some super minion, or even a minrec thing, however I would love for nova to be a later character

Nova is not coming with the current 5 new heros… Nova is coming afterwards making her the 31 hero in the roster

The women with the mutated arm is a jennerite faction and most likely the queen or it maybe another silent sister to ambra

The robot is most likely made by kleese since there was a dialogue ingame that mentions a robot suite by nova but kleese refuse to install nova to the suite so its most likely a new character

The chicken grenadier is most likely one of benedicts a part of benedicts squad

Alani and pendles is already done :slight_smile:

I’d love to see Nova as a playable character, I just honestly don’t want her to be like ISIC. Of course she would probably be unique in her own way, I just don’t want her rocking a similar mech suit.

I would think the moment the dialogue, “Kleese, Robot Suit! Kleess?!” Was confirmed by the script writers, that should have cemented that Nova was going to be a DLC in Gearbox’s minds. Since that line was probably written at least a while before the games release, and those outlines for the next 5 battleborn when released were all “work in progress concept arts” for all but Alani, they could have made her Battleborn number 29 or 30, but I can probably maybe deal with her coming up later.

It would pose 1 kind of “plot hole” though. If Nova is in the robot suit, who is flying the ship/ doing the Nova PVP things while Nova is in said robot suit?

Kleese whips up a way to let her control the suit from the ship.

1 Like

[quote=“MaddPatter, post:46, topic:1461456, full:true”]It would pose 1 kind of “plot hole” though. If Nova is in the robot suit, who is flying the ship/ doing the Nova PVP things while Nova is in said robot suit?
[/quote]

Well, Nova isn’t in the ship during Saboteur and the mission still manages to go along fine. As to the weirdness involved in Nova being in a robot suit while she’s directing a PvP game, what about the weirdness in playing against yourself, or playing Boldur or Caldarius during their missions?

Could also just explain it as Nova remote controlling the bot rather than actually being in it like ISIC, but that’s just kinda boring.

To be fair, I believe they just take the ship “to a safe distance,” but during the mission they are pretty clear that without Nova, that ship isn’t going much of anywhere.

As to your other points about PvP, Boldur, and Caldarius, I have no real come back to that. Well played.

[quote=“Kitru, post:48, topic:1461456, full:true”]Well, Nova isn’t in the ship during Saboteur and the mission still manages to go along fine.
[/quote]

It goes along fine because the mission is literally to upload Nova to the computers and shut down the factory. The reason you need to protect her as she does these things is because her death would result in the Battleborn being stranded on the planet as their ship would be grounded. That’s what Madd is trying to get at.

The only reason that I don’t see this as a problem is that it has preset conditions for the callouts. Someone attacking your sentry. Enemy minions closing in on your sentry. Minions being decimated. Score requirements for the grinders to be moved, or near victory. Definitely not anything that requires an AI in any case. Could just be pre-recorded messages to be played if certain criteria are met.

As for fighting against yourself, we already have that in nearly every match. How is there two of any character. Story isn’t as much of a problem, because of the intro to the story. Each player is just an actor on a stage, and the battleborn their character. You can see this when multiple people are the same character. “’‘A’ as ‘X’”, “‘B’ also as ‘X’”, “‘C’ also also as ‘X’”, “‘D’ as yet another ‘X’”.

I’m pretty sure PVP isn’t canon, so it doesn’t really matter what happens there.

[quote=“kylesimcox89, post:50, topic:1461456, full:true”]It goes along fine because the mission is literally to upload Nova to the computers and shut down the factory. The reason you need to protect her as she does these things is because her death would result in the Battleborn being stranded on the planet as their ship would be grounded. That’s what Madd is trying to get at.
[/quote]

Except that, according to the story, none of the Battleborn die at any point during any of the missions; respawning is something that, given the story, doesn’t actually occur (just like the New-U stations are purely a play construct that don’t exist as far as the story is concerned in the BL games) because, with it, death and a whole slew of biological issues are an entirely irrelevant occurrence (why do the bosses never revive or resurrect).

During the story, with the exception of Heliophage (which has its own set of issues with characters being played; Kleese and Ghalt are supposed to be in orbit fighting but you can still play them; Deande and Mellka are fighting alongside you but you can still play them), the ship that Nova pilots isn’t playing a significant part (the only time I can remember it actually showing up are in Saboteur, in which Nova is uploaded into the Jennerit network but able to extricate herself in time to pick the group up; in Void’s Edge, where Nova basically acts drunk at the beginning because the portal does weird things to AI though it does absolutely nothing to ISIC or Marquis for unexplained reasons; and Archive, where it’s there just to pick up the party at the end). It’s just there to drop you off and pick you back up. If Nova uploads herself into a combat robot suit and fights alongside everyone else, she could just as easily upload herself back into the ship when the mission is complete to go flying off elsewhere.

Which characters you end up playing have absolutely no relation to what happens in the story itself. It tweaks the dialogue a bit, but you can basically ignore any inconsistencies that arise with playing a given character because that’s basically what the game does.

Well, duh. The story obviously concludes with the Battleborn being victorious.

My argument isn’t about the outcome of the plot. My argument is that the plot for that one episode says that Nova, who is vital to the success of the mission cannot die. Plot wise, Nova is out of the ship, she cannot die while she is uploaded to the Jennerit network or the Battleborn would have lost the fight. That’s the plot. That’s why the mission fails if a computer is destroyed because it “killed” Nova. I’m not saying the plot would factor into her as a playable character though for sure.

I’m not trying to argue over the playable characters. They have 0 affect on the outcome of the mission and the plot. You only get a few shreds of dialogue if you’re lucky from your character in missions. Just the writing for the Saboteur itself.

I already suggested the same thing you did.

[quote=“kylesimcox89, post:54, topic:1461456, full:true”]My argument is that the plot for that one episode says that Nova, who is vital to the success of the mission cannot die. Plot wise, Nova is out of the ship, she cannot die while she is uploaded to the Jennerit network or the Battleborn would have lost the fight. That’s the plot. That’s why the mission fails if a computer is destroyed because it “killed” Nova. I’m not saying the plot would factor into her as a playable character though for sure.
[/quote]

The same is basically true in every other case for Ghalt, Mellka, Deande, Boldur (in Experiment), and Caldarius (in Renegade). The only thing that the plot telling us “you can’t allow Nova to die” accomplishes it set up the reason that her being destroyed is an instant fail for the mission instead of simply allowing you to retry (if there was a copy of her on the ship, you could just reupload her if she’s destroyed and try again; since you can’t copy a Magnus, if she dies, the entire thing fails).

My point is that there isn’t anything preventing Nova from being a character that doesn’t already apply to existing characters. Arguing that “Nova can’t be a character because X lore element” is irrelevant because, for every exception that I can think of, there’s already a provable exception in the lore somewhere else.

I definitely agree with you. I’m not trying to refute that. She can be a character for sure. Madd was just wandering how she would fit in with the plot for that is all. Believe me, I definitely don’t believe that can’t be one. I like Nova. More Nova is always a good thing.

They actually explain what is happening when you respawn. Your vitals get too low, so the LLC’s checkpoints pull you away from the battle. The contract with the LLC only allows for so many recoveries.

After that, the Battleborn can die, but if they do then Rendain’s plans are fulfilled and that’s the end of the universe. They don’t need to show it happening, or what happens after that, so you just get a game over scene. Though now thinking about it, it would be really cool to have a Batlefront kind of storytelling. Showing you what happened if a mission failed. Maybe take it a bit further and have branching story paths.

If you’ve played the campaign, it’s very obvious the “Void” is a real place

Which is akin to the explanation given by the New-U stations in BL, which doesn’t jive with the story itself (and which the writer readily admits is basically necessary for the story to ignore in order for the story to actually occur).

For example, why is there an LLC checkpoint in Rendain’s void zone? Or in the Old Sentinel’s hidden dungeon complex? Why don’t the Jennerit just destroy the checkpoints, especially if they’re already near the checkpoints before the Battleborn get there?

The LLC respawn/revival/whatever explanation is just hand-waving to explain the presence of the necessary respawn mechanic in the game world. Just like in BB, it doesn’t really make sense from a story perspective (especially since it wouldn’t make sense for LLC characters who are supposed to be obscenely wealthy not to have their own effectively indefinite contracts; why wouldn’t Phoebe or Kleese have their own contracts if they’re as obscenely wealthy as they’re supposed to be?).

Also, if there’s a teleport node/location right by the boss, why don’t they just teleport you there instead of outside and having you run to/past the teleport node (similar to the “if Megaman can be teleported out of the robot master’s room, why can’t he just teleport in past all of the robot master’s guards?”).

It’s funny you mention the Megaman thing. I played the Battle Network series more than any of the other Megaman franchises, and in those games, porting was referred to “jacking in” (yeah, funny name, I know) and you would literally appear inside the Internet. However, for the player (megaman), you could only jack in to a correlating teleporter based on where you jacked in in the real world. Literally everyone else in the game though, could appear wherever they pleased. The funniest part is when you fight through 3 zones of uncharted darknet, only to get to the boss of the area and have ally Navis (essentially mavericks of the MMBN series) jack in and appear literally right next to you…

What? Why couldn’t I just jack in right in front of the boss as well? Sometimes, logical continuity falls by the wayside in favor of just flat out gameplay