One way Fast Travel station: pointless

The only point of a fast travel station is to travel to them. I don’t need one to travel from them. I can just open the map and go where I want without being near one of these so what is the point of this? Why not just make it a regular station so it has some purpose?

6 Likes

They are there as remnants from previous BL’s when you couldn’t Fast Travel from the map. It’s just so it’s not a shock to people who were used to that old system. In fact there are plenty of players who still manually go to stations to Fast Travel and never use the map system - I’ve read comments from them on this forum.

6 Likes

For some, it might actually be faster than opening the character menu and switching tabs…

4 Likes

I remember the first time I saw one of them…Athenas I think : “yes! I return to Sanctuary and I farm this boss exit from game”… Nope.

1 Like

well never mind that if they fix all the broken buggy skills. I ve never used them but you may want to keep them just in case

I was just wondering this the other day - does anyone actually walk over to one of these to open the menu? Sounds like it.

That is the exact reason I still use them. I forget sometimes especially coming from a bout of BL2. Just habits.

I used 'em a few times out of habit, but stopped pretty quickly.
I tend to fast travel excessively also. I fast travel from Sanctuary’s bridge to my bank. I constantly fast travel from a quest pickup to my car. And so on, the freedom to fast travel everywhere is really really handy.
–RoA

4 Likes

Heck yeah, I drive where I need to go just so when I’m done with any given fight, I can Fast Travel to a vending machine, buy/sell, and then Fast Travel right back to the vehicle. It’s like having a portable vending machine (on maps where driving is a thing anyway).

3 Likes

I get that people “forget” that you can use the map but seems like an odd choice to leave essentially defunct stations in the game just for that. Hell, I still start running towards the station for a few steps before realizing I can just open the map but I probably would stop doing that if they just removed them.

Anyway, the OP wasn’t really about the standard stations…I don’t really have an issue with those. It’s the one way stations that make no sense IMO.

4 Likes

I suspect they originally weren’t going to have the Fast Travel system we have now, and that they would have been used like BL2’s one-way stations.

1 Like

They would make sense if you needed them to leave the area because you weren’t able to do it from the map, right? That’s the point, like I said some people still prefer to use the stations that way and not use the map. Whether that be habit, preference or performance reasons there is nothing wrong with including the option.

True, no issues with having them there.
As for performance, I’ve tested that for myself and it’s the same amount of time to use your echo vs the fast travel station. Well, if you’re tabbed all the way over to the special event tab it takes a second to tab over to the map, but effectively the same.
–RoA

I figured they were still there as a sort of signal that you had completed whatever long story mission you had been working on.

That’s true too, and more importantly they are a;
You have a long walk to get back here if you want to, better loot the heck out of this area now if you want to.
signal.
–RoA

2 Likes

I was under the impression that they’re for the sole purpose of fast traveling “out” of a key area, like the end of a boss area, without being able to fast travel back “in” to the area. So basically you couldn’t just open the map and fast travel to that point.

Yes but you can travel out of an area anywhere from the map. You don’t need that station to do that. Also, why can’t you travel into the area if you already discovered it once? The station in that picture is on the “Impound Deluxe” map near Freddie with no other station anywhere near it so I don’t understand what reason there is to not be able to travel there.

I assume it’s to prevent easy farming of something but I don’t see what would be so valuable to farm there that is different than anywhere else that has access to much more convenient fast travel options.

3 Likes

Even more pointless on Sanctuary where you can only fast-travel to the same station, at least for me. Waiting for them to fix this bug so I can continue the game.