OP mode - considerations for this type of mode going forward

I would like to prevent players with OP8 gear from joining an OP2 game and steamrolling everything.

Bank storage is another problem. There is not enough storage for a character to keep a full set of level 72 gear and full sets of overpowered gear.

If I only used one build per character, it would probably be OK, but if I want to have a full set of Hellborn gear and a full set of Crunch gear at various OP levels, well…

4 Likes

I like your first point but mules can solve the second- and being an OCD hoarder I’ve had to make more than a few of them…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very interesting points.

It would be nice if the host of a game could say: public but only players in a certain range.

Then there’s storage. I’ve felt for a while that we could really use a better way to look at and store gear and more of it. Probably folders is what we need.

Or even that we could merge gear. Say you found a hellfire SMG at level 34 and two of them at level 72. Why should that need to take up 3 inventory slots? Perhaps you could look at your weapon properties and toggle it to any version of it you found.

Or something like the legendary thingy in Destiny where any legendary you have found ever is tracked and rebuyable/rebuildable (in Destiny you can dismantle legendary gear to get a legendary thing which can be used for things like rebuilding gear you sold, or dismantled before).

These kind of ideas might even lead into guncrafting (building a gun literally by selecting which parts you want in it), which they said they didn’t want to do. But who knows, I expect we’ll see new mechanics as we usually do. We got the grinder for instance in TPS, which is like casual/light guncrafting.

I have made too many mules… and I rarely label them properly. and so much eridium/moonstone farming needs to be done for them to be really useful. I’ve been better in TPS about it. But not good enough.

My thoughts on storage. Before I go any farther let me make it clearly that I don’t want borderlands to be like fallout. But how about after you gain the trust of what ever the main city in bl3 is they offer you a place to shack up. And in this shack there are say 3 or 4 storage areas that can of course be upgraded.

1 Like

Using mules isn’t the solution; using mules is the problem. There is a fundamental divide between Gearbox’s original intent and the way the game is actually played today.

Gearbox ostensibly doesn’t want vault hunters to hoard their loot. Vault hunters do hoard their loot.

If you have both level-cap upgrades, there are really two “end games”—one at level 72 and one at OP8. A player can’t keep full sets of OP0 and OP8 ninja gear, sniper gear, and allegiance gear on a single Zer0.

So, how do I drop my OP8 Zer0 down to a lower level, when I’ve sold all his OP0–OP7 items to open up bank space for my OP8 end-game gear? (Rhetorical question)

If only I had a bigger…vault!

:bank:

1 Like

Yeah I am aware of that, which is why it is quite absurd on those little guys. Does not help they are usually in hard to reach locations.

Since Cloud Kill’s buff I have not had any issues with Hyperion turrets. Pre-buff it was a chore fighting turrets at long range.

Also a lack of a crit spot, I hate those things with a passion

RE: Hyperion turrets

Corrosive Pimpernel, preferably with bee. Or even a slag Pimp. Corrosive Conference Call does them a treat, as well. Done and done. I actually laugh when those little yellow rabbits feet pop up.

Yes the inventory system is a draconian piece of crap. The only conclusion I can draw is that GBX wanted to force everyone to have many dozens of characters, and to spend roughly 75% of their ingame time transferring gear back and forth instead of playing. There are very nice, time-saving workarounds though, which I employ.

It’s a ram issue, over stuffed banks and backpacks cause lag even on high end pc’s. This is a different weapon system than most games and this system takes more memory per gun.

That is a technical issue but I think it’s something they can overcome. Storing that much item information really shouldn’t be a problem (probably in the 30kb range of data). I believe it has to do with the rendered gun images that likely get stored or rendered along with it. Even something like pagination should help this. (like google search results, hit the next button to see the next page of items). Another thing to help would be changing when and how items are rendered / prerendered.

I think that when a character loads in Borderlands 2/TPS it generates an image for each item and keeps them in memory for when someone pulls up inventory.

I have 16gb ram and I’ve had lag from overstuffing. When I had 8gb’s it was really bad.

I agree they should find a way to help limit the impact, but it is an issue as it is.

I still think it was a matter of programming and specifically the images of the guns. As an example, I just loaded up an excel file with 19000 rows in it. It took 4 seconds. Each row has 10 columns. My guess is that each row in my excel file is about equal to or larger than the amount of information stored about 1 item in Borderlands 2/TPS. So took my excel file and made it 200 rows. And then I made a new one that was one row. They each took about 4 seconds to load.

So my theory is that each item in borderlands gets processed against the 3d models, textures and images to produce an image file. Or worst case, each item is literally sitting around as a 3d model in the backpack viewer. I think the 3d model version that you can look at fullscreen is loaded on the fly? I don’t know if each image also gets stored in the save file (which could potentially save time but take up a bunch of space in the save file). Or the image is rendered when you load your game.

Either way Borderlands 2 backpacks do tend to slow down around 80 I think. It’s noticeable. I have an overstuffed backpack on one guy due to quests rewarding me items into a full backpack.

But for the next Borderlands, they should try to come up with a solution or compromise around the technical issue. For instance, if we could have less fancy rendered items in our backpacks but store up to 200, I’d be fine with that.

Don’t suppose there’s a way to store the info of an item w/o actually storing the image of the item itself? In game it would work like the Catch-a-Ride system- you don’t actually have the car until you order it up- gear would work the same way. Rather than store your actual gear just store the info on it and then digistruct it into your backback before heading out on a mission. In fact, why not an option to allow future VH to send an info packet with the gear data directly to their bank once they’ve picked it up- it clears space in your backpack and you don’t have to run back to your home base to store things in person…

2 Likes

This is a great idea. There would have to be some kind of limit on it but still great idea.

Not sure what the difference would be. Trying to understand how it would affect the game differently. But I do agree that it would be awesome to be able to send something straight to the bank, from anywhere.

Not so much affect how the game is played but rather programming for it- saving gear as data rather than an actual rendered image should make it easier to manage a large bank, avoiding the slow down associated with having to render the actual images (I hope I’m making it clear what I mean as I’m no way technically inclined…).

1 Like

My main, a Maya, runs around with roughly 80 items. No lag when I open my inventory, nothing wrong. I have 16gb ram and a GTX 960, but didn’t have an inventory problem even when I only had 8gb and Intel Integrated Graphics. So I’ve never been sure why Gearbox has these weird limits.

I don’t welcome it, it created unbalanced and unfun stuff, encourage more boring farming and esp. botting.
They should create difficulty like Diablo 3, no OP level restricted, increased difficulty also increased droprate.

1 Like

I figured out what you meant. Your list of guns would be more textual, like in BL1. When you selected a gun is when it might start to render it. But if it was smart it would let you move to the next one before finishing that render (and it would keep only about 20 rendered at once before it would move the oldest render from memory). So moving through your inventory would be smooth whether you had 10 items or 1000.

It’s kind of the same concept of Grand Theft Auto’s open world. It renders the closest stuff in high detail, the visible distance at a lower detail and things you can’t see aren’t rendered at all. As you move closer to far away things it starts to render those in the distance and it starts to release stuff from memory that you previously could see but not anymore. To be smart it probably keeps non-visible things you just saw around in memory in case you turn back around and head back that way, but it might release it after a certain amount of time or if it finds that memory is getting full.