Oscar Mike Discussion

Video Previews

OSCAR MIKE

A discarded clone soldier from a long-forgotten war, Oscar Mike is a capable front-line fighter, engaging enemies at range with his assault rifle, cloaking for quick exits from tight spots, and inspiring allies with his… unconventional personality.

UNITED PEACEKEEPING REPUBLICS

A collection of civilizations banded together under the banner of mutual protection, freedom, and equality, the nomadic UPR – like the other factions – now find themselves in Solus with no home to call their own. Though recently crippled by the secession of one of their strongest constituents, the Last Light Consortium, the UPR remains nonetheless committed to their idealistic sense of justice.

STATS

Health: 2/5
Power: 4/5
Range: 4/5
Speed: 4/5

Basic Attacks, survival, and passive skill

UPR-AR7 Assault Rifle

The core of Oscar Mike’s combat effectiveness is his Assault Rifle and its many available upgrades.

UPR-RDC Combat Armor

Oscar Mike’s standard issue combat armor can be enhanced to increase survivability.

Tactical Rounds

Oscar Mike’s Assault Rifle is loaded with tactical rounds. The first 15 rounds in each magazine deal additional damage.

Frag Grenade

Launch a grenade that explodes 3 seconds after launch or 1 second after impact, dealing up to 208-280 Damage to each enemy within its blast radius.

Stealth Generator

Activate a cloaking device obscuring Oscar Mike from view and radar detection for 9 seconds. Attacking or using a skill cancels the effect.

Airstrike

Target an area to strike with 28 laser-guided missiles, each of which explodes dealing 141-282 damage to enemies.

Helix Tree

Tier 1

IMPACT TRIGGER

Frag Grenades detonate on impact.

SNEAK ATTACK

Deactivating Stealth Generator by using a skill or attacking an enemy provides a momentary damage boost to the skill or attack used. +20% Bonus Damage

On this tier I’m all about the sneak, that combined with Tactical Rounds sounds like a nice combat loop. Less of a timer on the grenades sounds good but not quite as good as the boost. It might not seem that way now but in later tiers you will see why.

Tier 2

FRAGCENDIARY GRENADE

Upon detonation, Frag Grenages blanket an area in napalm, dealing damage over time to nearby enemies. +360 Damage over 6 Seconds

NADES ON NADES

On first impact, Frag Grenades spawn 5 child grenades, each of which deals 20% damage on detonation.

On this tier I really don’t know, maybe Frag for PVP and Nades on Nades for more trash mob play.

Tier 3

RED DOT SIGHT

Fits Oscar Mike’s Assault Rifle with a red dot sight that enables full-speed movement while aiming down sights.

SCOPE

Fits Oscar Mike’s Assault Rifle with a long-range scope that increases Oscar Mike’s maximum effective range.

While I like to snipe, that doesn’t fit the style of play I have in mind for him so Red Dot Sight for me, more of a stealth hit and run is what I have in mind.

Tier 4

BACK IN A JIFF

Activating Stealth Generator prompts Oscar Mike’s shields to immediately begin charging.

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION

Stealth Generator increases movement speed when active. +30% Movement Speed

In the little game play I have seen of him he doesn’t seem durable so shield regen sounds good, but… From the game play I have also seen 9 seconds is more than enough to get your shield back, so I would go with the speed to get in place for your 20% bonus shot coming out of stealth.

Tier 5

HOLLOW-POINT ROUND

Bonus damage caused by Tactical Rounds penetrates enemy shields. +25% Shield Penetration

DOUBLETAP

Doubles the number of Tactical Rounds in each magazine. +15 Tactical Rounds

From what I have seen Oscar has 30 in the mag so all round would be tactical but we don’t know that bonus yet. The Shield penetration sounds good as well but I think we have to wait for more numbers on this one.

Tier 6

FAR-FLUNG FRAGS

Boosts launch velocity of Frag Grenades, increasing their range.

STEALTHY SHIELDS

Increases shield recharge rate while Stealth Generator is active. +105 Shield Recharge Per Second

Once again it seems shields have decent delays and recharge rates as of what I have seen so I would go with increasing the Grenade range here.

Tier 7

AGILITY TRAINING

Increases base movement speed. +9% Base Movement Speed

DISRUPTION ROUNDS

A portion of Assault Rifle damage penetrates enemy shields. +25% Shield Penetration

This one is another hard choice, he doesn’t have many survival skills so movement might be a big part of keeping him alive, but that shield penetration really sounds good since you can stack it with the skill to let your tactical rounds also have it. I might have to go with movement here but we will see how good the penetration skills work.

Tier 8

FRAGPOCALYPSE

Boosts Frag Grenage damage. +30 Damage

EMBIGGENED BOOM

Increases the effective explosive range of Frag Grenades.

I think this will be another one of those BA vs Mob skills that you pick based on who and how you are playing in what kind of mode. More damage in PVP, more range for mobs.

Tier 9

STEALTH SAVINGS

Deactivating Stealth Generator early refunds a portion of the cooldown cost. The less time you spend in stealth, the shorter the cooldown will be. Up to 40% Cooldown Reduction

OPERATION SNEAKY GHOST

Increases Stealth Generator’s maximum active duration. +6s Duration

I’m all about the savings, use that to go into stealth more often and hit your enemies harder with Sneak Attack more often. Stealth, hit with sneak and some Tactical rounds followed by a nice grenade. Then with his speed you can get away and do it all again. I really think 15 seconds of stealth is just too long. With his already decent 4/5 speed, and 30% bonus while in stealth mode and a passive 9% boost, you won’t need long to get into place for a big shot.

Tier 10

HOLY CRAP, SPACE LASERS!

Replaces Airstrike’s missile barrage with a concentrated beam laser attack that concentrates all Airstrike damage into a smaller area and penetrates through structures.

HOLY CRAP, CONCUSSIVE STRIKE!

Enemies damaged by Airstrike are slowed for a short time. +3s Slow

I really like the Idea of the Space Lasers, but if you miss its going to really hurt. High Risk and High Reward. While the Concussive Strike seems like a much more safe choice is still very good. We will have to see, but I think this will also come down to map and play mode, and I love that it might not be the same choice all the time.

2 Likes

Sounds cool, just like Axton. I bet airstrike is gunna be boss.

Oscar Mike will probably be my first character. I really do wish I knew what Gearbox has against lengthy usage of “Active Camo/Personal Cloaking Devices”, though. In Borderlands 2, Zer0 could only stay "cloaked’ for 5 seconds at a time. And now in Battleborn, Oscar Mike can only engage his “Stealth” Mode for 9 seconds at a time. Sooo frustrating! :confounded:

Gearbox, do us all a favor, and go play HALO Reach. Do it NOW! See Active Camo/Personal Cloaking the way it SHOULD be! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Gameplay video of Oscar Mike

Oscar Mike Profile

2 Likes

Video does a bit of skipping doesn’t it? I was hoping to see a full playthrough.

There are some parts missing, i’m guessing the player got a bit off track and they skipper the boring part. But the mission is the same as we have seen with the other E3/SDCC gameplay demos. You do get to see Oscar Mike’s abilities in action. When i was looking over Mike’s helix i thought i would pick the cluster augment instead of the one with burn damage. But looking at this gameplay session the napalm grenades look sweet. Shoot in front of portals and let those baddies walk into an inferno. Enemies look a bit slow moving so those fire pits look useful, i regcon that we will also see faster moving enemies. Cluster frags would be handy to do some quick and high damage.

i can’t be the only one thats come to the conclusion that oscar mike’s massive gun is a tad bit distracting. i mean i get what they’re going for (Master Chief), but its like 3 times the size/width of weapon its referencing and i feel like it blots out half the screen when i see him being played. i don’t think i’m playing as this guy then the game comes out unless the change it (at least a little).

1 Like

Red Dot Sight and Scope visual for those interested.

This post is meant to show the two visuals side by side and give a glimpse of how they effect your sight.

Red Dot Sight:

Scope:

Red Dot Sight - aiming down sight:

Scope - aiming down sight:

Differences:

Red Dot Sight: enables full-speed movement while aiming down sight.

Scope: increases maximum effective range.

Anyone know if there are other perks on the helix that change the gun’s appearance?

You can check here.
I would but i’m too laz…

No but there will be a third helix choice for each level I guess (I base this on what I have seen so far), so there is a possibility.

I also believe this third helix choice unlocks wih each character level, because it would make sense (10 helix levels - 10 character levels).

New Gameplay

plus this.

When I first saw Oscar Mike, I was not impressed. In a game with witches, robots, aliens, and mutants, a generic solider just seems kinda bland. His kit wasn’t all the impressive either: an assault rifle, grenade launcher, and personal cloak…zzz…zzz… BUT THEN I saw OM in action. His AR offers high accuracy, fire rate, and reload speed, making quick work of enemies in seconds. His grenade launcher provides high AOE burst damage in a pinch. His cloak allows him to disengage, re-position, and reengage at will.

Oscar Mike may not have the most power, speed, or utility, but he is not lacking in any one area. He’s like a Jack-of-all-trades in the best possible way. He’s probably one of the most reliable characters in the game right now.

I think that’s what he was designed for. A bit of Master Chief, a bit of Republic Commando, a helping of CoD, Oscar Mike provides something familiar for modern FPS players.

Just curious, have you played the Borderlands games? Because I have the same issue with some of the guns in those, as well. It’s actually a common problem in FPS games in general.

In the Borderlands games, I do a LOT of farming for better gear. For example, in BL: The Pre-Sequel, I am farming the BEJEEZUS out of the Titan Robot Production Facility right now! When I’m doing farming runs, I’ll set a nice, small pistol in one of my equipped slots, and switch to it whenever there’s no enemies around, so that my field of view is larger.

The only problem with Battleborn is that it seems you won’t be able to give Oscar Mike a smaller sidearm. :unamused:

1 Like

Yeah, the absurdly huge view models bug me alot. Not just for Oscar Mike but everyone who wields a weapon one way or another.

1 Like

Have you been talking to the people at r/Overwatch?

Woo-Hoo! just became a member. :joy:
Now, back to the topic at hand.

Yeah, but as you said you can change the guns if you want to. what compounds the problem with oscar mike is the fact that it gets worse after you’re forced to upgrade the weapon for red dot or scope.

surprisingly, oscar mike is the only character that bothers me. even montana with his massive ‘mini’-gun is fine in comparison for some reason.

its just the fact that i literallly blocks 25 - 33% of the screen it’s quite infuriating actually and the funny thing is if it wasn’t for that he would probably be one of my favourites, now whenever i see him i get a little annoyed.

the gun is just so unrealistically big (yes, i’m aware of how silly i sound), it’s almost comically large. no assault rifle should ever be that large, assualt rifles are lean mean killing machine (even one with grenade launchers and hypothetical missile strike capabilities) should be finer than his (IMO). :triumph:

I believe it might feel a little chunky at first but the look and sound of it is great - the size of it also adds to the comic part of Oscar Mike that I really like =)

And fortunately we dont have anything else that blocks our sight :wink:

Now don’t you DARE say an unkind word about the Metroid Prime series! Those games were AWESOME and really showed what was possible with modern 3D graphics to fully immerse the players in the game and its world! To this day, few First Person View games immerse a player in their environment as fully as the Metroid Prime games did! :sunglasses:

1 Like