Overwatch vs BB Reminds Me Of VHS vs Betamax

Does anyone know the history / case study of VHS vs Betamax from a couple decades ago?

Overwatch vs Battleborn really reminds me of that situation.

Long story short, for a variety of reasons, an inferior product won out over a superior one and went on to great long term success.

Not sure what I am hoping to accomplish with this thread, just thought it was an interesting parallel.

14 Likes

Cool stuff!

That’s how life works. Mediocrity rules the world.

3 Likes

All i know about this story is that VHS had some 18+ content the other platform didn’t. Soooooo…

2 Likes

Ha, just like in the DVD vs Blu Ray wars, I think viewability of “adult material” was a huge deciding factor…

@mentalmars

I had heard about this format war briefly, but I didn’t know the details of it. It honestly sounds like Sony tried to monopolise some of their tech, then when no one bought it, tried to licence it out to others, but it was too late by then. It’s kinda similar to what they did with a series of memory cards back in the early 2000s. You’d think they would’ve learnt by now.

The big question is though, which would you say Battleborn is? VHS or Betamax?

Personally, I find the whole OW vs BB thing to be more like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare, with OW being the Hare and BB being the Tortoise. OW has just charged on ahead, being all “Look at ME! I’m so much more amazing!”, but is now slap bang in the public eye, meaning it has to keep delivering with what little stuff it has to offer (the Loot Box Events and the addition of the server browser spring to mind). Whereas BB on the other hand, admittedly being “left in the dust”, has had the unique opportunity (not the shitty one Jack built mind) to plod along at its own pace and do its own thing, without having the public eye on it nearly 100% of the time. No one expects BB to win, but I’m guessing that it’ll catch up and over take OW when the latter struggles to keep its player base interested with more skins hidden away in loot boxes.

7 Likes

@NoobMister

Excellent post, and very well said!

Thank you kindly!

So you’re saying BB needs to show more T&A? I’m down with that! :dukegrin:

5 Likes

I don’t think that would work very well with BB art style tbh. The characters are stylised in such a way that T&A wouldn’t look very good.

1 Like

@noobmister @gulfwulf

Galilea’s breastises are terrifying, sentient being who move of their own volition independently of the rest of her body and armour.

The horror…the horror…

This is why they should never be unleashed on world, and should remain sealed within her armour :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@noobmister

Battleborn - where T&A is terrifying and should be forbidden at all costs, for the good of humanity.

1 Like

I’ve heard legends that you can close Varelsi portals with the T&A in this game

1 Like

An Elder Varelsi once encountered an unarmoured Galilea and was instantanaeously incinerated by the sight.

Thus began the vendetta…

@noobmister

1 Like

I would laugh so hard if the gearbox team put some graffiti on one of the maps that said “T&A closes Varelsi portals” XD

3 Likes

@NoobMister

That would be GOLD!

Battleborn, I feel, is superior to Overwatch, at least from a features standpoint. But I’m not a huge fan of PVP only games anymore.

1 Like

Huh… I assume that my crown just got lost in the mail then…

3 Likes

Mellka and Orendi in thongs twerking! :smile_cat:

You Sirs and/or Madames under estimate the power of the twerk!

3 Likes

Changing Battleborn’s art-style to be T&A-friendly is possible if they really wanted to. I think League of Legends at some point did an art-style overhaul.

It’s totally not that I want a sexy Orendi or anything…

2 Likes

Swap Orendi out for Phoebe and throw in Alani and we might just be on to something. :dukeego:

5 Likes