"Pandora's changed" (and Borderlands)

An “outlier’s” view of the recent level cap rise.

In BL1, you could level up through two difficulty levels and hit the cap somewhere in the DLCs.

In BL2, you could level up through three difficulty levels and hit the cap somewhere in the DLCs. In addition, OPing gave further progression in difficulty & gear, if not skills.

In TPS, you could level up through three difficulty levels and hit the cap somewhere in the DLCs.

In BL3, you can’t even continue levelling through TVHM.

In the past, level cap rises have supported continued progression through additional playthroughs or DLC content. I was very much hoping that we would get a more traditional cap rise of around 10 points. This, at least would have finally made TVHM worthwhile (just). Three points are worthless.

Reading the forum posts, I sometimes wonder if I am the only player who ever enjoyed playing campaign content primarily. However, over ten years, I have played co-op with a group of friends who play exactly as I do. So, I know I’m not alone. In fact, when BL GOTY Enhanced was released, the first thing we did was grab new characters and take them through to L69.

I love BL3’s campaign and all the new skills and combat mechanics. But even I am running out of character variations to take through a single Normal playthrough. Borderlands has fundamentally changed with BL3. It is becoming a half-hearted Destiny or Division, not the Borderlands of old. For those who like that, I wish you well. It’s a shame that GBX has forgotten about the rest of us so quickly.

I see I have played for about 450 hours currently. I will stick with the game for as long as I can because I love the core gameplay but it’s not going to get the 4000+ hours I put into BL2. That’s a shame because it has the potential to do that and more.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Borderlands 3 community love letter: level cap increase, new seasonal event, and more!