PC Specs "Can I Run It" Megathread

With the PC spec finally released we all know there’s going to be a flood of “can I run it” threads opened. Please redirect them to this thread for assessment and spread the word.

Official Specs:

MINIMUM SPECS 1080p Gaming

• OS – Windows 7/8/10 (latest service pack)

• Processor – AMD FX-8350 (Intel i5-3570)

• Memory – 6GB RAM

• Graphics card – AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB)

• HDD – 75 GB

RECOMMENDED SPECS 1440P Gaming

• OS – Windows 7/8/10 (latest service pack)

• Processor – AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600 (Intel i7-4770)

• Memory – 16GB RAM

• Graphics card – AMD Radeon™ RX 590 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB)

• HDD – 75 GB

Resources:

This is the “Can You/I Run it” website; also known as System Requirements Lab. It is THE go to site to determine where your PC lands for Minimum and Recommended tiers.

Site now has the proper PC requirements.

It is very simple to use: just search for “Borderlands 3” in the search bar then hit the big blue “Can You Run It” button. It will take you to the sub page. Click on the big blue “Can You Run It” button again. This will download their detection app. Run the app and the site will find out what your hardware is. It will take a minute.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BROWSER PAGE OR IT WILL NOT UPDATE PROPERLY. You will have to go back a page then re-start the detection if you do.

Once it is done it will tell you if you meet the game’s Minimum and Recommended Specs. However, do note that the Recommended Specs are listed for 1440p if you are running it in 1080p only then you would not need to hit the Recommended Specs. You can see more information on your computer in the “My Computer Details” in the top bar.

UNTIL “Can You/I Run It” IS UPDATED USE THIS TO GET AN IDEA

This is the PC-Builds website. Enter your CPU, GPU and your RAM amount then hit Calculate. What you are looking for is the “CPU Score” and the “GPU Score”. These will give you a rough indication as to how you stack up against the Minimum and Recommended Specs.

Minimum Specs Score:

AMD

• FX-8350 Eight Core - Score: 292

• Radeon HD 7970 / R9 280C - Score: 246

Intel

• i5-3570 - Score: 232

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Score: 265

Recommended Specs Score:

AMD

• Ryzen 5 2600 - Score: 442

• Radeon RX 590 - Score: 439

Intel

• Intel i7-4770 - Score: 319

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Score: 425

If your score for both CPU and GPU are above the Minimum but below the Recommended then you should be confident that you will be able to run it at medium settings at 1080p.

For those who are curious I’m running a i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, RTX 2070 and 16 GB RAM. If you require more help please include a link to your selected build on the PC-Builds site.

4 Likes

Sweet! I meet/beat the recommended specs. i7-4770 and GTX1080
Side question; If I am using the exact processor that they recommend, will that mean it will run smoother/better? Or is it just a speed thing?

2 Likes

will a rtx2080 and a i7 8700 be able to run it in 4k?

1 Like

not really, the recommendations are based off of what they used. a better CPU will be better then the recommended.
though the game will most likely run smoother on AMD gpu’s as it was built for them.

3 Likes

I’m so excited. I have the new AMD 3600x cpu and their new 5700 gpu, and they said rec specs are like, last year’s models :heart_eyes: so so so so happy. This is gonna be so beautiful, I might cry.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

I would like to know if i could run BL3 at 1080p, 60FPS and Medium Graphics with this system:

CPU: AMD FX-8300 Eight-Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB

I apologize if i made any grammer errors.

Merged into the thread that answers your question - see the first post ^^^

(Also edited thread title a little to make it easier to find!)

So i wanna buy a new system. What exactly do they mean by recommended 1440p? Is it 30 fps or 60fps? What spec do i need to run it on 1440p at 60fps? I dont think a gtx 1060 can handle fps in 1440p.
I am an intel guy and i am not sure if i should switch to amd. I guess the difference is only noticeable at peak performance if there is any difference

From what I know every game that showing recomended means to play it at 60fps but 1080p. Here, I dunno. Not worried myself since I got powerful rig but maybe BL3 has really good optimalization?

Click on the link in the op and scroll down to see more details on what to expect from basic and advanced configurations. For the basic settings at 1440p:

Check it out!

Lol, my PC doesn’t even meet the minimum requirements. Good thing I was planning to play on PS4 Pro.

A question on the exact meaning of “minimum specs”:

My CPU is a bit below minimum specs (FX-8320E). But as far as I unterstand this “minimum” relates to 1080p (my monitor has a bit more 1920x1200) with medium settings. So I’ll might have sometimes trouble to get 60 fps with mediums setting but I’ll still be able to play BL3 if I reduce one or two settings to low, right?

Am I thinking this right or is this a hard blocker that prevents me from running BL3 at all?

For completion: my gpu is an AMD R9 380X and I have 16 GB.

Thanks

You shouldn’t have anything to worry about. There definitely isn’t any hard block, and companies always say you need a more powerful PC than you actually need to begin with, they use it as a safety net. You shouldn’t have any issues at all mantaining playable settings.

1 Like
  • i5-4440
  • 8gb ram
  • gtx 16660 ti

Wanna play in 1080p without dropping under 35 - 40 fps.
You think I can run Medium on most settings, maybe even high when it comes to textures?

I’m aware of cpu & possibly ram bottlenecking, but dont want to upgrade the mainboard.
Could get an i7-4770, but not sure if that’s worth the pricetag of ~150€

I performed the “Can You RUN It” test and then added more memory.

It wouldn’t detect my hardware again until I removed the cookies that it set in Firefox.

After the cookies were cleared out, it asked to re-run the detection.exe and showed the new results.

Maybe there is an easier way to get it to re-detect your hardware, but I couldn’t find it on their web pages.

Good to hear. That would’ve been a real bummer if I had to miss out on BL3. Thanks for your answer edavy89 :slightly_smiling_face:

Well the main thing is its often possible to run PC software on a system below the min requirements. However most cases I’ve seen if you have issues with the software and call them for support they will simply tell you its not supported due to the system being below requirements and that you can either upgrade your PC or figure it out yourself.

However there have been cases in the past where a developer actually designed the installer to refuse installation on systems that were below required min specs.

True, if there is anything I complain about support can point out the minimum requirements. That’s my risk.

Let’s hope these past cases of “You shall not install below min specs!” is nothing Gearbox is following through.

My CPU is quite outdated (i5-4440), but I’m running a GTX 1660ti & 16gb ram now.
Feeling better now after upgrading gpu & ram :relieved:

edit… damn after a win 10 update my system used the hdd instead of my ssd to boot…
…so now i got a fresh & clean installation, 13th can come

1 Like

As OP already posted this site was really helpful https://pc-builds.com/cyri/
So I should get around 50 fps on medium setting with 1080p. Fine for me :slightly_smiling_face: