Persistent code

Has anyone come up with a way to store variables and such between game sessions/missions? I’ve tried things like saving to a text file, but AFAIK this conflicts with the game’s native save system, and vise versa.

(REARM V2) #2

@b8factor do you have an idea?

Mikali, I remember your older ambitions along these lines and I’m glad you’re looking into it again, or it seems.

No. :frowning:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #4

Could you create a dummy ship in the players (persistent) fleet as a sneaky way of storing a variable?

(Snake_B5) #5

What is the problem you encounter here ? It’s perfectly possible to store a variable value in a file and reload it later with a dofilepath. What’s the conflict you seem to have exactly, I don’t understand :confused:

(Rufus Shinra) #6

Huh? Can you detail this, please, 'cause it’s new to me too?

Edit: I meant “during a game”, so you could store a value in a file ingame and retrieve it during the same game.

Yes, but what if the player decides to load a previous save game, or start a new game? The text file and save game then reflect two different game world ‘states’. How do you keep the text file and save game in sync?

(Snake_B5) #8

Oh, this kind of situation… don’t know, good question :confused:

I don’t have as clear a picture in my mind as when I was actually working on this stuff, but I remember giving up for reasons similar to what I described.

A long term goal of mine was to make a sort of cross between Homeworld and Jagged Alliance 2. E.g. an RPG-lite where you have a grid of sectors to control, roving bands enemies, as well as NPCs, quests, phat lewt, etc.

Not sure how far I will ever get, because designing an singleplayer campaign from scratch is very daunting.

I did get a basic conversation/dialogue system working. And you can technically rove around between sectors except for the problems I’ve been describing.