Petition for releasing Homeworld: Cataclysm Remastered

Homeworld is really masterpiece space rts series. No one video game is not able to convey the emotions and impressions as Homeworld. In 2013, Gearbox Software bought this IP. 25th of February it was a significant event, which fans have been waiting for many years. Homeworld was reborn. We must say thank you to Gearbox Software. They made the best remastering ever. Remastering of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 surpassed originals in every way. But they don’t make remastering of Homeworld: Cataclysm, perhaps the best game of the series, because Gearbox Software lost source code of this game. But Gearbox Software says, that if players would be interest in the remastering of Homeworld: Cataclysm, developers will make Homeworld: Cataclysm Remastered without source code. So let us show that we love the franchise and developers. Let’s sign petition for release remastering

• Your devoted fan.
    Petition.
    P.S. If you think, that petition is useless, it is not so.
    Touching on that, Martel was less optimistic. “Frankly,” he said. “I’d be surprised if we could actually do the kind of work that we’ve done with the remasters for Cataclysm.” Even so, he didn’t completely shut down the possibility of a remastered edition of Cataclysm. Even without the source code, Martel indicated that “there are some clever things [Gearbox] might be able to do if there was enough interest.”
    Source.

3 Likes

Grammatical errors aside I won’t be signing this petition because the engine in HWR is not right for either Homeworld 1 or Cataclysm. I would like them to do a re-release of Cataclysm and add it to the “classic” HW1 and HW2 of the collection. But a remastering using this engine would be disappointing for many.

6 Likes

What engine was Cata based on?
It introduced a lot of new game mechanics.

Sorry for gramatcal errors, i’m not know english well, I’m from Russia, please tell what gramatcal errors I’m doing, I’m edit them.

Homeworld 1 Engine.

I think given enough time and little pressure from corporate to push it out they could really make it work in HW2. What they’re doing now to fix HW1 is proof of that.

But in the weeks leading up to the game coming out to Feb they were joking that they were worried that the collectors editions would even break even cause they spent so much money on them, and they had to delay it from November to Feb. They prob would have delayed it again to July but A) the fans had already had it pushed out once and prob wouldn’t like another delay (the vocal minority were already calling them out on “it should be so easy to up res stuff, why is it taking so long”) and B) They prob needed to see a return on investment and BBI needed to go back to work on Shipbreakers.

If they can get a year and/or a bigger team then I can see them doing it.

A modified HW1 engine.

I see…
Trying to port that to the new HW2 based engine would probably mess everything up even worse than HW1. Ideally they need to find a way to improve the original engine and keep it on that, forget that unified MP thing. Let this be standalone.

1 Like

Can you give a source on this? I can’t remember them ever saying that outright.

That said, even if it was only done to the same level of accuracy as the HW1R, I’d probably buy a HWCR. Part of my motivation for that is modding related, but the rest of it is that I’ve seen that people playing HW1R for the first time, though it lacks parts I consider important, are still experiencing many of the same emotions and connections that created my loyalty to the series years ago. I’d rather that HWCR only happens once HW1R’s accuracy is brought as close to perfection as possible, but if not I think it’d still be worth doing.

5 Likes

This petition is pointless. They can’t do anything about Cataclysm until they get the source code. We could make as many petitions as we want, but until they have the source code, a petition does nothing. And tbh, Cataclysm did a good job of improving HW1, I don’t think it should be Remastered yet. Too many useful features that they probably can’t recreate in HW2.

1 Like

Touching on that, Martel was less optimistic. “Frankly,” he said. “I’d be surprised if we could actually do the kind of work that we’ve done with the remasters for Cataclysm.” Even so, he didn’t completely shut down the possibility of a remastered edition of Cataclysm. Even without the source code, Martel indicated that “there are some clever things [Gearbox] might be able to do if there was enough interest.”
Source.

3 Likes

Once again, please no. Do not ruin Cataclysm as well.

4 Likes

I’ll quote myself from another thread.

Please leave Cataclysm in peace. Only thing I would be for is a reselling of the original and steam support so we can play it online. But please don’t discrace Cataclysm buy putting it in that piece of ■■■■ Sigma/Impossible Creatures engine.

5 Likes

Please no.

The remastering of HW1 is too far removed from the original’s game mechanics. HWC is based on the same engine as HW1 and has similar game mechanics.

Porting HWC to this engine would be every bit as disappointing as HW1 has been.

I realize that Gearbox is still working on things, but I don’t believe it’s possible to truly recreate the HW1/HWC game mechanics with this game engine.

4 Likes

What? HW2 Engine is Essence Engine (IC, DOW series, COH series)?

I read from one of the devs that there was IC code in the engine. Given the time lines of Sigma (code name for IC) being before HW2, I assume that was what it was originally developed. Not sure if it was the final engine for IC, DOW, COH.

But it’s become abundantly clear to me in hind site that the purpose built, impossible to work with, original HW engine that all the developers and modders hate was the actual Guidstone that made the original HW a masterpiece.

4 Likes

I’m afraid I have to agree. Despite their complaints, Cataclysm did a lot to improve upon HW1. If HW1 had more time, they could have added pseudo-lens flare effects, flashing background images, improved sensor manager, more randomness to certain missions, time compression and so on. There’s some things that Cata did that were only useful to Cata, but things like I mentioned would have been useful for HW1 itself.

4 Likes

I support the issue Homeworld: Cataclysm Remastered.
One of my favorite parts!

1 Like

No, it is not. And Impossible Creatures and Dawn of War weren’t on Essence. The Essence Engine was brand new and created for Company of Heroes and The Outfit.

Interesting… just a couple of months ago, people were literally begging GBX to do Cata:R (see countless other threads in this forum, on steam and in the old gbx forums).
I’d be down with Cata classic (if possible with a 60 fps /1080p option ;-)) and I’d be on board with Cata:R but take as much time as you need.

1 Like