Player initialization failed on PC

When i start the game and try to logging, this message appears: “Player initialization failed: Failed to complete the patching process. Please check your network connection and try again.”

My connection works and i can play other online games without problems :S

I have the same problem on the XB1 and would like a solution.

I posted on this as well, not a peep from support.

Same here… :cry::cry:

Hello again. Just to give a little more information about this issue:

• I had the exact same problem on the Battleborn’s CTT steam version. Tried several times each day then, and also now on the beta.
  • Game starts, 2K/partners logos show up, Battleborn’s beautiful artwork pops and we must press enter. Right after that (doesn’t looks like the game sends any request to the server), this message pops: “Player initialization failed: Failed to complete the patching process. Please check your network connection and try again.”
  • Checked McAfee’ s real time analysis, IPS and firewall, nothing stops the game there.

The fact that this error showed both, on CTT and beta, gets me worried about buying the game. I’d love to play it. Please guys, can you help us? If you need to me to run any test, please let me now.

Thanks in advance.

Same here.

Ok, tried to solve this via zendesk (really nice people there) but without luck. I will put here all the possible solutions they gave me just in case that they may work to any of you. All of them try to solve either the game data or internet connection. They did not point yet to a game issue/bug.

-------------------------------------Attempt #1:---------------------------------------
First, I’d suggest Verifying the Game Cache

• Load Steam.
  • From the Library section, right-click on the game and select “Properties” from the menu.
  • Select the “Local files” tab and click the “Verify integrity of game cache” button.
  • Steam will match the local files to the cloud files, and fix any errors it encounters.

Next I’d suggest running the battleborn.exe as administrator.

• Navigate to the program folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\steamapps\common\battleborn open beta\binaries\win 64) and locate the “Battleborn.exe” file.
  • Right-click the program icon (the .exe file).
  • Choose Properties.
  • On the Compatibility tab, select the Run This Program As An Administrator option.
  • Click OK.
  • If you see a User Account Control prompt, accept it.

Finally If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest checking out this article on the Steam Knowledge Base where they outline various things that could be interfering with your connection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Attempt #2:---------------------------------------
I am sorry to hear that after the steps we went through so far the issue is still not resolved. Please try the following steps to see if there is any improvement with your issue;

Flushing Steam’s memory cache and run Steam as Administrator:

1. Completely exit the Steam client.
  2. Open the “Run” dialogue by pressing Windows key + R (you can also navigate here from the start menu by typing “run”).
  3. Type “steam://flushconfig” then press enter. (If asked to allow this website to open a program, please click Allow or OK).
  4. Restart your computer.
  5. After rebooting, launch Steam directly from the installation folder not from a pre-existing shortcut. It should appear like “C:\Program files (x86)\Steam”.
  6. The Steam application will either appear as “Steam” or “Steam.exe” depending on whether your settings show file extensions.
  7. Right click the Steam.exe and select “Run as Administrator”.
  8. Start the game from the library. If you are prompted to install additional software, please select “yes”.

If that doesn’t help, please try this as well;

Creating a new (secondary) Windows profile:

1. In the search box on the Taskbar, type “Settings” and select “Settings”.
  2. Select Accounts > Other user accounts.
  3. Under “Manage other accounts”, select “Add an account”.
  4. Please make sure to give this new account Administrative rights.
  5. Run Steam and start the game.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Attempt #3:---------------------------------------
I’m sorry that those steps haven’t worked to get you into Battleborn yet. Just to confirm, did you also try running Steam as Administrator? Also, could you check that your Windows Profile has Writing Rights?

Next, since this error message does seem to suggest some kind of connection problem, I’d like to follow up with our connection troubleshooting guide. This guide is less about fixing problems with your connection itself, and more about ensuring that your hardware settings are optimized for online gameplay. I know it may seem counter-intuitive if you have other games that can get online perfectly, but these steps really can help. Take a look and let me know how it goes:

1. Check all the physical devices on your network to ensure they are plugged in and powered on.
  2. Perform a connection test on each device connected to the network.

PC Connection Troubleshooting Guide
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/network-connection-problem-help

Note: In order to better understand your network and how it works please see the information below.

NAT Types
Open
Moderate
Strict

Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
Strict can ONLY connect to open.
Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don’t have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won’t be able to find many joinable games.

Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, if another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.

The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.

Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT’d which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.

Essentially, you want to have Open or Moderate NATs running.

Port Forwarding
The following ports are beneficial to have open for Online gaming:

TCP: 53, 80, 1745, 1795, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 1745, 1795, 3064, 3074,

If you need assistance with opening these ports, please refer to the following website for more information (you will need to know your router brand and model, as the website guides are based on specific routers)

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Here are some additional tips that have helped many players improve their connectivity:

1. Make sure your router’s firmware is upgraded the latest version (very important).
  2. Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
  3. Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.
  4. Enable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.
  5. If you don’t care about security, enable DMZ (de-militarized zone) on your router for your PC’s address. This turns off all of your router’s firewall features for that specific PC.
  6. Contact your ISP and ask them what your DNS setting should be.

Direct Connection/Power Cycle:
If you are still having issues connecting to the online servers after trying the above steps, try connecting your broadband modem directly to the PC on which you are playing this game. At this point, please disconnect your Broadband modem from power for Five (5) minutes. After this time has elapsed, plug the modem back into power and allow the normal power-up cycle to finish.

Well thats all for now. As I said, those didn’t work for me. Please let us know if you get it solved. I really would like to play Battleborn… at least on May 3rd…

Good luck!