Playing Forum Jenga

(Phillip) #1

Hi all! This topic is about forums in particular, but could also be applied to social media in general. It’s just some observations I’ve seen when it comes to socialization on the internet. Figured I’d share them here. :smiley:

When it comes to discussion forums - both here at the Gearbox forums and elsewhere - I’ve noticed that individual discussion threads are a lot like playing a game of Jenga. Posting a response to a thread is like taking a piece out of the Jenga tower and placing it on top. In other words, it’s fun as long as the response rate is at a reasonable level. But when a thread gets too many responses (and I realize “too many” can mean different things for different threads), it’s like a Jenga tower getting wobbly and on the verge of collapse because too many pieces were taken out of the foundation.

Basically, the fun level of a discussion is inversely proportional to its number of responses. I know there are some exceptions, such as threads centered around a posting theme (e.g. the “what makes you happy/pissed off” threads), but this is just a general observation I’ve found…

…I just realized I probably limited the number of responses this thread will get. :sweat: But I guess that’s okay. I dunno. :stuck_out_tongue:

(you can change the song, hun 🌻) #2