Please address the flood of visual effects in this game

What exactly is this “authentic experience”? Game at release, game after first patch, game after first nerf, game after… (you get the idea)? And while we´re at it, what do you mean with “greatness”, in context of this unspecified authenticity? Oh, and I am not going away, thank you.

1 Like

I 100% agree with the OP.
I’ve never had problems with eyes strain or headaches in years of playing shooters but BL3 has caused so many debilitating headaches that I’ve stopped playing it entirely.
I own it on both ps4 and PC and, even though the frame rate on PC is more than double the ps4, I get headaches on both platforms.

2 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :joy: :sneezing_face: :grin:
You just made my forum’s funniest top 10! :grin:

3 Likes

Visibility in combat is terrible. It’s been discussed a lot. Seriously doubt they are going to make major graphical changes at this point, but it would be nice. I generally can’t see what I’m shooting at. Throw an ice mirv grenade and all you see is white (just one small example)… the effects are too saturated, one solid color… cannot see anything past them.

What platform/resolution/mode are you using? I mean, I’m not disagreeing with you, but some combos are worse than others (Apparently turning HDR off makes a huge difference; I’m still on a 1080p screen though, so that doesn’t help me)

I don’t know what to attribute it to, but enemies are indeed less visible in BL3. Not sure whether it’s due to color palette, design, some fancy graphical effects, more and better cover, or what not, but they are hard to locate compared to BL1/2/TPS. Takes me a lot longer to figure out who is shooting at me - tracer bullets they helpfully use definitely help.

OK, in BL2 there was also a lot of snow, so your typical bad guy really stood out. Not sure what BL1 did - perhaps it was more of an open space?

I don’t get a headache or have eye issues but will say that when a lot is going on in the game the lag is unbearable.

2 Likes

I find mostly them about the same as BL1, although it does depend a bit on the specific map. Basically, the colour palette of the outfits is similar to the background. If they aren’t moving while shooting, it’s hard to pick them out against the background. One difference for BL3 over BL1 is that there is way more detail in everything, which just seems to compound the problem for me.

1 Like

Ditto. It’s an annoying inferno that fills the screen for a while.

Yep. Sometimes my game goes into a ‘fugue-state’ during particularly intense action; the FPS will suddenly oscillate from 40 to 80, over and over, rhythmically, like a ticking clock. I have to seek cover and wait 30-60 seconds for the normal smooth 80-120 FPS to return.

This effect is experienced just like frame drops or lag. Oy. My eyes. :confused:

In my opinion, it’s mostly elemental effects and explosions (sorry, Mr. Torgue) that are a single color, with no translucency, so instead of being able to see through them, to what you are shooting at, you just see a color. If the single color effects could be toned down (ie, the size of the shock bolts, or whatever in width) and most importantly, made a bit translucent, so you can see your enemies as well as the effects, it would really help.

I don’t presume to know what needs to be done to the game engine to make it stop giving people headaches and I don’t really care either. I just want gearbox to figure it out and fix it so I can enjoy BL3 with my wife.

I’ve been gaming since the 1980s and BL3 is the only video game I’ve ever played that gave me headaches.

1 Like

Before people get too heated with this, there’s always the chance that long time fans, or people who’ve suffered from something between the release of Borderlands 2 and 3 might have developed something that makes the amount of effects an issue.

As people get older they may get slightly more sluggish responses, they may not be able to handle such a high amount of effects, clashing colours or sensory bombardment.

Does that mean they should be forced to stop playing? They’ve enjoyed the games, possibly from the first one, are they any less of a fan if they’re asking for better accessibility options?
Not everyone has amazing reflexes. Some people may work enough hours that they’re so fatigued by the time they get to gaming that they can’t deal with such an influx of effects. What about people with epilepsy, should they be barred from playing a game they enjoy because they can’t turn the options down?

I know a long time forum user who raised these concerns back in May last year.

As for the “players on equal footing” play with friends and agree on how to set the settings so you’re all playing the same set up. Let people change accessibility options to accommodate their preferences or needs. To some games are a hobby, the way to relax after a long day at work or a stressful day doing whatever they do. They don’t need to be made to feel worse by being unable to play a game they enjoy.

5 Likes

29 posts were split to a new topic: Effects Thread Derailment

I removed 29 completely unnecessary posts. If this thread gets derailed again, it will be closed permanently.

Please read the FORUM RULES before resuming the DISCUSSION. If you see someone derailing the thread or getting personal, USE THE FLAG SYSTEM.

1 Like

I’ll be honest. Most of the time, I have no idea what I’m shooting at. When I engage a fight, I know where to aim. But when enemy bullets and my bullets start flying, it’s mayhem. I’ll see an enemy’s critical spot and shoot at it, but then the visual effects obscure it. The only reason I’m still able to continue crit’ing when the enemy decides to relocate is because I anticipate their movement and I respond to the feedback of the red critical hit text. It’s not because I can see their critical spot.

I wouldn’t mind if they left visual clutter as is, but at the same time, I wouldn’t consider it as a positive experience. Although, I do have a personal request that the font size of the floating text could scale with your HUD size.

1 Like

There is plenty of that, sure - I was also making a general observation that even when I’m not on fire/irradiated/swimming in acid, I am still having trouble locating the enemies (excluding Graveward and such, of course).

Perhaps it’s simply lack of familiarity with maps and spawns on my part, but may be it’s also design/graphics change from previous games.

It annoys me when I’m running Maliwan Takedown and try to shoot maliwan guy with Brainstormer. After connecting with target I can’t see anything and before I know, I’m shooting the ground because target has moved away.

Fine, maybe my aim or reaction time is giving me trouble but after playing some AR and DM on CSGO, I did not register any huge difference.

Maybe it is possible to develop strategy in order to manage visual pollution as it might be just another element of the learning curve…