Please nerf self damage

Using rocket launchers or any number of millions of heavy splash damage weapons is suicidal at higher levels(I’m by no means min-maxxed but I have 100k++ shield using low life moze build) and I think there should be a significant damage reduction to damage taken from your own weapons. I have downed myself dozens of times due to rushing enemies or accidentally clipping some object nearby. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

1 Like

That’s a Moze specific issue, for the most part. Torgue Cross Promotion makes it really easy to accidentially hit yourself with your own splash because of the chance to double the splash radius and Fire in the Skag Den just means that all splash deals pretty absurd amounts of damage.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the surprise mini-grenades from Mind Sweeper and Short Fuse. Pretty much when I’m playing a splash-damage Moze build, I can expect to down myself as much as the enemy does, if not more.

3 Likes

Play a blastmaster Moze build. Stack additional boosts to splash radius and damage with sub stats on gear pieces. Fire the Complex Root. See the game pop up the message “Second Wind” every time you pull the trigger on M10 as every enemy in sight instantly vaporizes regardless if they were in cover or not…

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, I just returned to the game after a 6 month hiatus…and was wondering if I was the only one experiencing that “mechanic.” My favorite weapon is the jericho…which is just comical to fire with moze splash buffs…I doubt anyone at GBX will see my post, but I hope they do and give some sort of reduction to self damage…

Nukem, with it’s massive (+1000 splash-damage radius) blast radius is a hard no for me. On many maps I can’t seem to fire it far enough to avoid the blow-back when it gets doubled by TCP or I foret I have other +splash radius gear on. :boom: :skull:

1 Like

It’s intended the more you buff your splash and aoe damage the more you kill yourself.Needs to betaken out of the game

1 Like

Zane also dies from his grenades

1 Like

yo gearbox can we code self damage as not damaging the enemy? game literally threates you as a hostile entity, self damage gives you stacks that come from enemy damage,

1 Like

That kind of oversight always baffled me, you can leech your own life :rofl:

I actually like this, makes interesting interesting tricks possible with self-damage to trigger various effects (Impaler shield etc). Unfortunately there’s no worthwhile tool for this that isn’t also suicidal, and Moze is pretty much the exemplar of this.

Really? I play Zane almost exclusively and I haven’t had that happen in ages. Granted, I could see how this could happen, particularily when using MIRV grenades alongside Duct Tape Mod. But generally, you’ll want a grenade that gets a lot of quick hits to re-trigger your Seein’ Dead over and over again, so I generally use either a Stormfront (which is shock and thus my Transformer protects me from it) or a Hex (which doesn’t reallly do all that much self-damage to begin with).

There’s also a few interesting ones. Zane’s Trick of the Light can cryo him, for instance, but only if the same hit also hurts an enemy and triggers the effect there.

i made a whole thread on it as well as submitted bug/technical issue to 2k gaerboix but they aint patching anything.

1 Like

It could be argued that rocket launchers are not designed for close combat and should be used at a safe distance. It could also be argued that having some jeopardy when using very powerful weapons is a great way to balance their use.

I am against touching self damage. Proper tools exist: Transformer and red suit enable protection from self damage at the cost of not using extra elements, that is how I run around in gtd firing rad plaguebearrer at point blank. Self damage is a normal constraint you need to deal with, imo deleting it magically is a bit too much of God mod enabled

2 Likes

This. Exactly this.

Most encounters happen at well within what would be consider a “safe distance” for splash damage. Considering the fact that a fair number of areas we fight in are very small and dont really allow for long range fighting especially while playing solo. Also, enemies typically rush you and make safe distance engagements impossible after the initial aggro. In mayhem 10 rocket launchers are hardly one shotting things…so the risk/reward argument doesnt make sense. My hellwalker does WAY more damage than any of my heavy weapons. Also, this is borderlands I play this game for ridiculous over the top weapons not to be challenged by a short sighted self damage mechanic. It’s a simple matter of math, we do millions of damage per sec with our weapons and simply dont have enough mitigation to counter our own weapons. Tooltip damage on my hellwalker is damn near 300k…my annexed jericho is 34k. For risk/reward to be equal the jericho should be doing at least as much as that shotgun for it’s supposed “very powerful” damage.

I certainly agree that rocket launchers, in the main, are underperforming.

I just don’t agree that self damage should be eliminated. There has to be some jeopardy as I have said. What next, ban barrels?

1 Like

Barrels are hardly the same as splash damage from your own weapons. Barrels are avoidable in all scenarios, not being able to use your preferred weapon because it kills you even at moderate ranges. Have you ever used a splash damage moze build? You can’t mitigate enough damage to prevent fragging yourself. Red suit only protects from radiation and transformer only shock, moze gains bonus damage as incendiary. I actually have even specced out of double splash radius to mitigate my self damage. Oh, and try using iron bear with any splash damage mods, you can basically one shot your action skill as well. The game is not designed to have full throughput on self damage. This is not a realistic shooter sim. If you wanna get serious about realistic weapon downsides all ballistic weapons should have a chance to jam or fail to feed. Why is it that rocket launchers are the only weapons with significant downsides? Based on your Twitch vods you dont appear to be using any splash damage weapons, any chance you’d be willing to play the mechanic you are saying is in an acceptable state?

1 Like