Please provide a larger window to collect bonus score and end boss drops

I have a better idea: make it so drops from the boss, credits and everything, are automatically awarded. Why are we running around like headless chickens every time we kill one? What’s the point from a design point? What purpose does it serve in gameplay besides annoying players because the drop fell into an inconvenient place/couldn’t reach it?

3 Likes

It proves you have a better score…

But I agree, I don’t get the real purpose of the yellow balls. Especially if they all fall behind walls, as if getting gold medal was about luck and not about skills.

I agree 100 per cent about this. Especially on normal difficulty. I think this is one of the annoying, punishing things they’ve pushed to make the game more ‘hardcore.’ In the end, though, it’s just annoying and depressing. You have to slot movement speed sometimes just to even grab a worthy amount of them. What fun is that?

There’s just so many QoL changes that could be made to make PvE enjoyable. Battleborn might have a PvE playerbase then, rather than it being a ghost town.

It actually does collect every piece, as long as they aren’t seemingly destroyed by falling out of bounds.

@Jythri
Not sure if your the person to tag for this question, but here it goes.

Is there a specific reason you guys designed Heliophage to flash players away from the boss arena the very moment Rendain finishes his Death animation?

It’s incredibly frustrating.

And can you comment on claims regarding boss drops being automatically collected at the end of missions?

2 Likes

How can you know this? I remember dying in the last second of killing Rendain, seeing a piece of gear that I couldn’t grab (obviously) and my stupid random team mates decide to revive me instead of collecting stuff. Guess what? No gear.

I’m sure because outside of the three times I went to and beat the last stage, every time I beat a stage, as the screen fades I receive more loot.

Every time.

Ok, maybe the Creative Director wasn’t the correct person to ask. So I’ll try the Lead Programmer @scottv:

1 Like

I think the bonus score orbs are primarily for solo players because w/ a full team more than enough enemies spawn such that focus killing them all --please note, I’m not referring to turret or drone kills because those don’t add to your score-- will net enough score to get gold. So I think the bonus score is in the game for solo players to boost their score because not enough enemies spawn to get a high enough score for gold w/o them.

That’s not technically correct. Medals rely on your score and the amount of score required to get a particular medal is dependent on the episode being played. Also aiming skills kind of helps your score. Each enemy killed by a player, as opposed to being killed by a turret or drone, adds to the score. And there is this mechanic in the game where when you start attacking an enemy an internal timer kicks off. If you focus that enemy and kill them quickly you get a higher score for that enemy’s death. So when your aim is good and you can quickly focus kill enemies you will get a higher score.

Please see my response here. But I do agree about them falling into inaccessible places. That’s pure suckage!

1 Like

Its also worth noting that the number of bonus orbs that spawn is related to how many extra lives you have banked.

I deliberately left some credits on the ground to see what happens. And yes, there are some creadits added up when the screen fades out. It’s relatively easy to test. Start a hardcore mission, kill some mobs/shoot some crates so credits fall out, and jump off the cliff. You’ll see notifications of credits picked.

I didn’t have anything to do with the design of this encounter, but I have pointed this thread out to those that did have a hand in creating it. I encouraged them to jump on here and talk with you all.

6 Likes

i love the lootplosions, but there are cases were the golden score orbs fly of to locations were you can’t grab them. With bosses this might be a bit harder to do, but with the 6-slot loot chest i think there is some room for improvement.

1 Like

Thank you.

In summation:

For a First person Badass Shooter Slasher, there is waaaay too much Pacman involved.

Instant teleport after dropping a boss is irritating, so is automatically ending a mission before you’re ready.

If you ARE going to have Pacman involved, stop blasting pellets off the map or onto other unreachable areas.

Oh… and timers suck.
:relieved:

2 Likes

Lootsplosions are just one of the reasons why I love Borderlands and Battleborn. It’s a big firework explosion that visually rewards you for killing a boss. The physics behind it? Not so much. It’s one thing for economy items to fall off the edge but it can be frustrating to see loot fall off into the abyss as well. I haven’t really had too much of an issue with this in Battleborn (fights like the Varelsi Maligner in The Saboteur, stuff can be missed because it falls off the edge and even though it can be restrieved, it is still easily missable), but it was definitely a thing in Borderlands 2. But stuff that drops that is rare/epic or higher and somehow gets missed should be sent to a lost items kiosk (more a suggestion towards BL3), or given to you at the end of the mission regardless.

Bosses like Geoff also like to spit out orbs in a ring around them, and he will often knock you back when he retreats as you have to get in close to pick them up.

A quick idea offhand for bosses like Rendain, (where it jumps straight into a cutscene after each health threshold) would be to have a visual pickup/“mission ends” countdown where you get a reasonable amount of time to pick everything up which is proportionate to the number of players (longer for fewer players). Maybe even a proximty timer as opposed to the yellow orbs hitting the ground and immediately starting to decay so if you are getting knocked back when the boss dies, you aren’t getting penalised for it.

3 Likes

+9.5

It would be nice if the orbs didn’t start evaporating untill you aquire the 1st one. It would be even better if you didn’t have to wait for them to touch the environment in order to start collecting them.

For example:
When the first loot casket spawns on that little island in Saboteur, even if I position myself directly on top of it, I have no choice but watch as most of the orbs are jettisoned off the platform. I’m lucky if I can collect 4 that managed to land on the edge of that tiny ledge.

Grumble… Grumble… Grumble…

1 Like

[quote=“lowlines, post:37, topic:1491503, full:true”]A quick idea offhand for bosses like Rendain, (where it jumps straight into a cutscene after each health threshold) would be to have a visual pickup/“mission ends” countdown where you get a reasonable amount of time to pick everything up which is proportionate to the number of players (longer for fewer players). Maybe even a proximty timer as opposed to the yellow orbs hitting the ground and immediately starting to decay so if you are getting knocked back when the boss dies, you aren’t getting penalised for it.
[/quote]

How about the game just automatically picks up anything that falls off of a ledge (since you never got a chance to grab it; default in the players’ favor) or is present at when the mission completes. I’ve been told that this already happens with Rendain (e.g. you get teleported out and, even if it doesn’t say it, it still picks up all of the loot; maybe not the score though, which is fine by me).

2 Likes

I’m all for the visual lootspolsion, but I despise seeing stuff fall of the edge and/or being ripped away before I can pickup. I’ve never gotten a legendary from bosses like Isic and Rendain and I feel this has contributed to it.

I hated this mechanic in the Borderlands games and I really hate it here. Why didn’t they learn?