Political Discussion Thread II

Well this is horrible.

This is just to say: one of the nation’s highest courts blew up internet law because its judges don’t see any difference between Pinterest and Verizon. And they should try typing “youtube.cöm” into a browser.

3 Likes

Two of the three judges had a completely wrong understanding of how the internet works. The opinion was, not uncoincidentally, 2-1.

More info here:

One of the judges also didn’t realise that ISPs are specifically not classified as common carriers, so their fears were completely unfounded. I am equally dumbfounded that the lawyers for the trade organizations weren’t able to respond by citing the various judgements on that specific issue (going back to Ajit Pai’s FCC and the whole net neutrality thing). I believe it was the same judge who seemed to thing that first amendment prohibitions applied to corporations as well as government. That’s a “Did you even law school?” moment right there.

The whole hearing seems to have been a huge mess, honestly, and it’s hard to not see the 2-1 split as a wholly political ruling, especially given the egregious ‘findings’ by at least one of the judges I’ve cited.

3 Likes

From the AT article:

“[O]ne judge suggested that Twitter isn’t even a website, and another wondered if phone companies have a First Amendment right to kick people off their services,” Protocol wrote.

“Your clients are Internet providers,” Judge Edith Jones reportedly told the lawyer for NetChoice and CCIA. “They are not websites.” The two groups’ members are in fact almost entirely websites and online services rather than Internet service providers—see NetChoice’s members here and CCIA’s here. Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Google, Twitter, and Yahoo are all members of both groups.

&At another point in the hearing, “Judge Andrew Oldham suggested that if the tech platforms succeeded, it would allow phone companies to kick off users,” Protocol reported. “Under your theory, could Verizon decide that they’re going to overhear every phone call… and when they hear speech they don’t like, they terminate the phone call?” Oldham asked.*

This is a level of stupidity that isn’t reached by not paying attention to life, this is an I-do-not-want-to-know that requires dedication, cause basically everyone including my parents in their mid-seventies know that there is a huge difference between their phone company and a website…

My best guess is that this is an example of judging for the consequences. If the websites need to be internet providers to get the required result, then the judges consider them internet providers.

If someone wants to point out to me that I am challenging the judges’ impartiality here, more or less calling them unprofessional and unfit for the job: Yes, I am.

3 Likes

I give you fair warning, this will be absurd and rather train of thought.

It’s that time again, drumroll please! Now lets see what problems state and local races have this time.

We’re off to a quick start, with the second position being run for by… one person! That’s right, there’s no other option! I mean, it’s not like state SCotUS matters right? Oh. Wait.

Next up, we have a position with two candidates running, impressive, lets see how they stack up! Well, one of them is an incumbent who we know basically nothing about somehow, and the other is a suspended former judge known for his abuse of power who hung a portrait of Hitler in his courtroom, screened out gay people wanting to marry, solicited bribes for ‘courtroom artwork’… the list goes on and on. Also I’m tempted to start making Happy Gilmore referee references!

Lets see here, another one person position, another one person position, another one person position, another one person position - is it just me or are you detecting a theme? Oh here we go! A whole three candidates! The incumbent, who tried to prevent a tourist town from shutting down and wants to funnel money to the police and jail, the former(!) nurse who no longer works as one because she quit to give people ‘off the record’ alternative therapy for COVID, and the schoolteacher who believes the same thing as the incumbent but thinks she can ‘get it done’. Welp, not voting for any of them.

The next position… actually has someone who brags about bringing a university research facility here? Admittedly her opponents are an anti-vaxxer, and someone who wants to double down on the war on drugs (abhorrent), and she seems also to want to shove money at law enforcement despite all our local issues, still though.

Oh wow, except Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor, County Clerk is the first position with multiple seemingly sane and well intentioned candidates! Admittedly neither are experienced, but still. Only one nutter running here (someone who bragged about backing by the rich, and rambled about voter ID in a state that runs votes by mail, and has registration conducted through the DMV).

Well there you go, there were a whole two(!) positions out of ten with multiple candidates who seemed capable of and intending to perform their duties. Wow! Admittedly I’m not allowed to vote for many positions due to closed primaries, but hey that’s a whole one fifth of the positions that they kindly permit voter enfranchisement for! Note the sarcasm.

They also removed secrecy envelopes to ‘save money’. Do not approve.

5 Likes

Looks like my favourite guy, Alberta premier Jason Kenney, has officially hit the ■■■■ it button and is resigning. If only he did that 2 years ago but anyways.

He’s been looking for a reason to bug out for a few weeks since he’s been taking a lot of flack from hard right and hard left (and probably moderate left and moderate right….and centrists too) ; and rather than using the critiques to improve his flippy floppy policy decisions, he used a barely-won (51.4%) party leadership review vote as his ticket to “so long and thanks for all the fish”.

You won’t be missed Jason.
At least until the United Conservative Party votes in a Q whack job to lead and we all pine for the level-headed sanity that was Kenney.

Kenney joins a growing list of conservative premiers unable to finish out their term: since 2004, Alberta has seen seven premiers. Only one – New Democrat Rachel Notley – served a full term.

Imagine. The NDP premier is the only one with enough balls to tolerate 4 years of ■■■■ and abuse from Albertans.

And in other Canadian news, Huawei finally finally gets the boot from the country’s 5G network. No doubt stamping of feet by Chinese ambassador will ensue. And god knows what else.

2 Likes

Probably a bad time to be a Canadian in China.

There was an interesting take on Kenney in Comparison to Ford in the Star the other day. Basically, they quoted a Tory insider as saying that the reason Ford hasn’t had the same problem is that he learned fast to not only disregard the nut jobs in his own cabinet/caucus, but actively remove them. There’s four at least now running as “True Blue” (sounds like a toilet sanitizer) or independents in the current elections.

Edit to add:

I think that covers the questions facing conservatives in the rest of Canada fairly well. The party seems to be struggling right now to decide what it actually wants to be known for. Polievre seems intent on steering hard right. His insistence on cancelling carbon taxes while being silent on what he proposes to do on climate change has me wondering if he isn’t also in the climate change denialist camp. If it turns out that he is, that would be a real negative as far as most Canadians are concerned.

2 Likes

I’ve been concerned with the conservatives too, it seems like they are ripping themselves apart in times of great change. I was wondering what those “new blue” signs were about but kept forgetting to look it up. My guess was like… hrm a conservatives party offshoot?

Another headachy provincial election ahead… sigh.

Yes. One which aims to provide a home for all those true PC believers who objected to mask mandates and are paranoid about vaccines because they watch too much Faux News (or get all their information from Twitter/FaceBook reposts). You know, the ones who think yelling at staff and patients outside hospitals is an effective way of protesting against government policy.

1 Like

Ah, go figure. The rise of the “junk” as im putting it politely.

And big headaches on figuring out who to vote for this time around. As someone who is on ODSP I feel like im screwed no matter what. I’m just fortunate I have a supporting family. Trigger Warning, I fear suicide rates and people wanting assisted death is going to spike if they dont increase the amount folks get…

1 Like

No idea if anyone was paying attention, but the fall of the Coalition government in Australia was a bit of a surprise.

3 Likes

I think the past few summers have really taken a toll on the collective Australian psyche. It’s been increasingly obvious that the coal-heavy ruling coalition was out of touch not just with the climate science bit also with public concerns.

Especially when said government completely ignored the recommendations of the coalition of fire fighting services ahead of yet another record flaming hot fire season.

4 Likes

If so, at least they’re doing better than us. Fire season is practically year round here with the constant droughts anymore. Honestly though, I was only keeping a weather out at their elections and I was under the impression it wasn’t likely to happen. So kind of an interesting result, particularly given they’ve been in power for so long.

3 Likes

Australian elections usually are down under my radar.

Ba-dum-tssss…

Over Black Summer, the prime minister went overseas for a holiday. He should have been in Australia, if only to demonstrate support for the communities that were really suffering.
[…]
That’s another reason I think these floods are so frightening. They’re evidence that climate change is already here, and we are nowhere near prepared for it. Anyone on the ground will tell you that the summers are getting hotter, and the fires are getting worse. We’ve had at least four major catastrophic fires in recent history.
[…]
Listening to politicians talk about people being “tough” and “resilient” makes me so angry now. We are tough, but we’re human too.

At some point, one should realise that climate change may be real after all…

Why those news didn’t reach the US yet is a bit hard to explain. :man_shrugging:

Though I guess there is a slight divide a.k.a. huge chasm between politicians and citizens.

3 Likes

Just stopping in to say that my absolute favorite thing right now is reading all the reddit replies about all the baptist leaders covering up a bunch of pedos are the same copypasta about how “bY pERceNTaGE it’S wOrSE foR teAChers”.

Like seriously, my favorite thing.

Hey look. Some dead babies. Someone should probably do something about that.

2 Likes

Don’t worry Ars.

The ‘thoughts and prayers’ brigade is already in motion…

“Heidi & I are fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde” says one Ted Cruz, who “is slated to speak at the National Rifle Association’s Annual Meeting in Houston, where he lives, later this week. Governor Greg Abbott and Senator John Cornyn, both Republicans, are also slated to speak there this week.”

I must admit that I don’t even know what ‘lifting up in prayer’ means exactly, but it doesn’t seem to impress everyone:

"Fervently lifting Uvalde up in prayer while refusing to do a goddamned thing to stop gun violence is why this keeps happening, especially in Texas,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, which advocates for tighter gun laws.

Quotes from:

It’s the usual song and dance from the Reps. “Oh, it’s such a tragedy! Let’s do nothing, so there will be repetitions of it. Else the gun lobby won’t pay us anymore. And that would be a real tragedy”.

See here:
Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said that reforming gun laws is not the solution to what he called “yet another act of evil and mass murder.”

“Inevitably when there’s a murder of this kind, you see politicians try to politicize it,” Cruz said. “You see Democrats and a lot of folks in the media whose immediate solution is to try to restrict the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. That doesn’t work. It’s not effective.”

By the way, here’s the motto of the NRA event Cruz will speak at this week:

“Make plans now to join fellow Second Amendment patriots for a freedom-filled weekend for the entire family as we celebrate Freedom, Firearms, and the Second Amendment!” that website read.

The NRA was not available for a statement, of course.

3 Likes

Double post, but whatever…

Someone explain this to me:

Stone and another reporter pursued, asking, “I just want to understand why you do not think that guns are the problem in America” and “Why is America the only country that makes this kind of mass shooting?”

Stone said: “You can’t answer that, can you, sir?”

Cruz turned. Leaning close to the reporter and jabbing his finger, he said: “Why is it that people come from all over the world to America? Because it’s the freest, most prosperous, safest country on earth.

Emphasis by me.

Really, the safest country on earth?! A country that runs active shooter drills in schools? Where weekly mass shootings don’t even make the news if there aren’t a dozen children gunned down?

A country where beat cops wearing their uniform and their sidearm are outgunned when arriving at a scene, cause an 18-year old kid can buy 2 AR-15s and some body armor for his birthday without even passing a ■■■■■■■ background check? (By the way, whatever these cops are paid, it’s not enough.)

That, as Ted Cruz said, is the safest country in the world? Does anyone, whichever side of the aisle, actually believe that? I’d really like to know.

But of course to the GOP, it’s not political:

“There are 19 sets of parents who are never gonna get to kiss their child goodnight,” Cruz said.

Stone asked: “Is this the moment to reform gun laws?”

Cruz said: “You know, it’s easy to go to politics.”

“But it’s important,” Stone said. “It’s at the heart of the issue.”

“I get that that’s where the media likes to go,” Cruz said.

OF COURSE THAT’S WHERE PEOPLE LIKE TO GO, YOU MORON!! You call yourself lawmakers, so how about you go and make some laws?! Doing nothing obviously doesn’t help anything but your bank account!

Quotes from:

But in case someone doubts the quotes, the interview is freely available on the web.

On the question if this is political, here’s the best answer I’ve seen yet:

1 Like

I’ve come to the conclusion with Ted Cruz that it’s not that he’s incapable of deliberate thought, but that he actively avoids even the pretence of engaging in it. Something about it getting in the way of sound bites or something. I’m quite sure select clips of his interview are going to start appearing on YT with titles along the lines of “Cruz OWNS lame MSM”.

The problem is that this whole “Moar guns!” thing has become such a cult, reason and evidence are never going to persuade people like Cruz to change their minds. They’ve convinced themselves that the 2nd amendment should be the 1st, and everything else should be chucked on the fire and burned.

And these are the people Canada shares the longest undefended border in the world with?

2 Likes