Political Discussion Thread

Wait? We do?

Didn’t we just have one? I thought we had another 2 years at least.

Remember our election campaigns only last a month or so.

1 Like

… I’ve missed you.

2 Likes

Awww, that’s so [relevent emotion that’s name currently escapes me]

I’ve missed being here…

But I’m off uni for 4 months so I should be around here more.I just wish GBX would do something I’m interested in, I havnt really been in any section execept off-topic since the first battleborn beta.

I’d like to start posting in Bl1 item of the day thread again though. It’s been too long.

Getting off topic here…

Something, something politics. If the universe had a magical undo button I’d love to see what a Trump presidency would look like. But since you’d never be able to reverse it, it’s best left to imagination.

Locally I havnt been keeping up with politics much. It’s sh*t, and nothing but pointless bickering that’s stopping stuff EVERYONE wants from happening.

The gay marriage thing has been a disaster. The plebiscite was a horrible idea and a waste of $100mil, not to mention the idea of a state-funded “No” advertising campaign. But I feel we should have just accepted it, because now it got thrown out Marridge Equality is back to the drawing board and who knows how long until they do anything about it again. The majority of Australians want it, the majority of politions want it (even the conservitive party in power) but they won’t work with eachother to do something they both want.

Labour shut down Plebisite and wanted it to just be voted in parliament, but Liberals (the conservitive party, confusingly enough) refused to that. Theb they both blame the other party for being the people holding it back.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Political Discussion comments

The first reply I ever got from you on these forums was very upsetting. This one is too, but I hope it won’t be the last and that we can have better conversations here in the future.

2 Likes

I’m just stepping in here, as someone who hasn’t commented in this thread before, and as a mod to remind people we try to avoid this topic in general conversation because it can get a bit heated and people do get passionate about this topic.

I’ve avoided this thread as a user because of several reasons ranging from the fact that I’m not American, and therefore have no place telling them what to do with their politics (assuming most the debates here are between Americans, with occasional input from Australian’s, Brit’s and other countries) to the fact that I plan to stay neutral so that if I ever intervene I hold no grudges over views.

We live in a free world, and this forum leaves threads open to expression of your own opinion - provided you follow a few crucial courtesies and remember to be polite and mature with the debates.

I know many people here don’t need to hear this, the fact the thread is at 300+ posts shows you can, and often will follow this guides but I urge people to remember to keep a level head because opinions are bound to vary and people will clash over politics, quite often more than other topics.

As such, I’m enclosing the forum rules in this post for people to look back at if they feel they are getting to engrossed in the topic - it’s great when mature debates happen, it’s great when people can accept the differences of opinion, it’s even better if it doesn’t require and eye over your shoulders all the time.

In closing, my advice for a thread like this, stand up, get a drink and have a walk about to think on replies - something I’ve done many times to prevent pressing enter or reply on a post which I know would have done little more than come back to bite me.

3 Likes

I understand people feel passionately about politics, I do too. The current US election is testament to how different opinions can be expressed in ways that cause real division and harm. It’s always great when opposing perspectives can be discussed reasonably though, and this thread (and the forum in general) brims over with such discussion - so thank you guys. :slight_smile:

Is this real, @Arsonist? Because I just clicked on it and the photo of Trump looks incredibly and hilariously evil. I thought it must be a spoof. But the posts seem genuinely Trumpish… (Still trying to figure reddit out)

Hattie, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m going to start by saying you have me sitting in my shittiest chair to type this response because a) I’m drunk and b) I feel people need perspective.

/r/The_Donald is a very real place. Your bet is as good as mine when gauging how many people are just there for “lulz” and how many are real.

1 Like

“No Dissenters or SJWs.” Yep, sounds legit Trump :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s some overlap with /r/politics, and from what people have said there they ban posters even for mentioning anything that might imply criticism of Trump. I’d honestly pretty much ignore the place, since whether it’s real or fake, they’re going to behave pretty much the same.

Anyways, as for me I’m actually trying to minimize how much time I spend checking political news lately, since I know I won’t see the results of that Comey mess till later this week, and I don’t need the stress.

1 Like

Yes, you remind me of Vonnegut in Mother Night: “We are who we pretend to be, so we must be careful who we pretend to be.” Not irrelevant to online behaviour…

I understand your desire to escape it. Politics is toxic right now.

1 Like

Tem, they say that because all the trump posts in /r/politics either come from ■■■■■■■ conspiracy youtube vids or brietbart.

Which is basically an /r/conspiracy vid brought forth by dark words at this point.

Good quote. That said, it’s not so much the toxicity that I’m avoiding it for (not that it isn’t unpleasant), as that no matter how much I obsess right now it will not speed me getting the information. Nothing I can do except wait.

1 Like

Well, as if to be fair, all the trump russian stuff came out.

So lets all just be ready to drink on election day.[quote=“Tokesy97, post:325, topic:1199216”]
In closing, my advice for a thread like this, stand up, get a drink and have a walk about to think on replies - something I’ve done many times to prevent pressing enter or reply on a post which I know would have done little more than come back to bite me.
[/quote]

At the sake of saying it, sober and with a clear head, I’d actually like to advocate a “relaxing” of the forum rules for this particular thread.

I won’t say it would be necessary for the post that was removed, but you can expect a certain level of heat when discussing politics, and as you mention, for the most part are able to get through it. I… words aren’t there for the post that isn’t there anymore (boom, wordplay) but in a lot of those instances, I’d honestly like the opportunity to respond when someone makes certain claims, if for no other reason than as I’ve stated before, I’m more open here than I am on my facebook feeds.

As long as those are presented… somewhat sanely, even when dealing with clear underlying biases, it’s worth talking about if for no reason than to work through those and get somewhere right.

That being said, personal attacks are personal attacks, and ■■■■ all that noise.

2 Likes

What’s all this?

Re this thread, of course opinions and starting points will be different. But bullying and derogatory attacks are beneath everyone on this forum, and help nobody become more politically aware (as this thread has made me). All this is by the by though as I don’t think it will happen again. :slight_smile:

The FBI has been investigating Trump for ties to the Russians, so far no results from that though. Ars is probably referring to either the leaks involving that case, or one of the articles involving an investigator who’d been looking into it privately before the FBI requested his documents on the matter. That said, given the lack of official information it’s very much everyday campaign stuff that I doubt will move the needle right now.

On a side note, I’ve now got a new thing to be nervous about, since at this point the FBI itself is becoming overtly political, and almost as bad, being viewed that way. The damage done to our national instititions is not going to be healing quickly after this.

3 Likes

If it helps, my area has always seen the FBI as somewhat political, although our reasoning isn’t great.

“Them got-damned fed’rals comin’ back to mah goddahm holler to take my goddahm shine still.”

Translated from hick-

“Those explitive deleted federal workers are coming to my general area of residence to steal my equipment for producing illegal alchohol.”

We… we don’t have a strong history there, is what I’m saying.

1 Like

Perhaps I should have said power hungry, I’m worried more about a situation reverting towards the Hoover days, when the FBI was… Well, doing this. Actively controlling federal politics, and acting as a sort of secret police. Yeah though, don’t get me wrong I’ll certainly admit my personal feelings on the matter of law enforcement officers who I’m unfamiliar with tends to be wariness shading towards outright fear.

Well, not to scare the ■■■■ out of you, but hey. Um… yeah.