Political Discussion Thread

8 Likes

1 Like

It’s a Christmas miracle! Somehow, someway, our elected representatives have managed to actually do something constructive. It’s not as sweeping as I’d like, but, like the name suggests, it’s a good - wait for it - first step.

3 Likes

Pretty much my reaction. The name does somewhat point to humble expectations, and to be fair it’s a surprise it passed at all in this environment. Still I think the most notable thing about its passage may be the change in how the Koch Brothers are operating. At this point, the emphasis on justice reform and cooperation with groups like the ACLU is no longer a series of isolated incidents, but a theme. Which is interesting on multiple levels, most simply because for a long period they’d moved to adhere closer to the Republican party. I don’t know if failure to get what they wanted through congress inspired this or not, but I am interested in where it’s going.

2 Likes

To the land of a libertarian utopia, that’s where it’s going!!11

1 Like

It’s probably a good thing the ‘wall amendment’ was targetted elsewhere! :brick:

1 Like

Is that just another brick?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yesterday was insane. Not really sure what to say apart from that, but I think it may have squeezed more political upsets into a single day than anything except Mueller fridays lately. And that after the day before was already a whirlwind…

3 Likes

3 Likes

chaos actual is leaving…

2 Likes

‘Chaos Actual’? Not that he wasn’t, but is that his name now?

Mattis’ callsign. Yeah though, I’m not sure if it’s a surprise or not strangely enough, I will say it’s potentially one of the biggest departures.

1 Like

Oh, not who I thought you meant.

2 Likes

Colonel
Has
Another
Outstanding
Solution

6 Likes

No word on Mattis resignation? I thought it would be all over the place!
-edit- Or Flynn, or Cohen for that matter…

Here’s an exerpt I think is very telling.
-“One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the US remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO’s 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.”

There’s also a passage about China and Russia…
I mean… freakin’ Russia! I can get that some U.S. citizen bought the ■■■■■■■■ about NATO but how in hell some of the “reddish” Republicans came to believe anything good can come from Putin… That is beyond me.
Way, way beyond me! How disconnected from geopolitics you need to be?

3 Likes

It’s mentioned above. Yeah though, I think it may be one of the most significant departures from the Trump Whitehouse.

1 Like

And another senior US person involved in the situation is calling it quits too:

4 Likes

1 Like