Political Discussion Thread

I know… almost nothing about those starting to campaign or hinting at it, although the idea of running Beto O’Rourke seems somewhat promising if he does end up running.

As I stated on election day, I’m mostly praying for anyone but Pelosi or Warren.

3 Likes

On the topic of Warren, there’s been a lot of argument lately that she’s overrated due to her performance relative to others in her state. I’m less sure of that, since a primary is fundamentally not really about attracting the other side. I do agree that Republicans seem to want her as the candidate, and she does have some baggage that could hurt her in the general.

I really don’t know how to judge O’Rourke, since basically he’s running on populism. That could hold him up, or he could fold like a metal chair.

Pelosi almost guaranteed won’t run, and would almost certainly fail anyways. Even for more popular Speakers, the role is basically a deathknell for presidential ambitions.

2 Likes

As I mentioned on election day, my big thing is… I don’t think Pelosi or Warren have a chance in hell of winning because they’re maybe the two most vilified popular Democrats in memory. I don’t see them attracting enough of the “independent” vote even in what one would assume would be a pretty favorable race against trump. Pretty much what you said about Baggage.

I mention O’Rourke because there was a lot of discussion about it on election night, but so far he’s stated he has no interest in the job.

You know of anyone else with their hat in the ring this early?

1 Like

As in, publicly? Warren, Delaney… Let me check google. Castro I suppose as far as serious candidates who are either ‘exploring’ or have announced candidacy. Delaney I’d pretty much discount, and I’d consider Castro maybe a third tier competitor.

If you mean the ones who are actually making moves as if they may run for president (visiting early states, fundraising, statements, etc), then quite a few though. Biden, Sanders, Booker, Brown, Klobuchar, Harris, Gillibrand, Merkley… The list is long.

2 Likes

Ooooh, I didn’t know Biden was making a move. I know he didn’t run in 2016 due to personal reasons. Biden, Bookers, or Sanders would be my top three if they get involved.

2 Likes

He’s generally considered one of the ‘leaders’ in the pack at this point. Not that that means much, but it does argue that he has a pretty decent likelihood of running at least.

2 Likes

On stuff that’s nearly impossible, do you think Romney is going to try to run against Trump? Given his comments last night, a lot of people were saying he’s trying to prime himself up for it. It seems unlikely right now, given that Trump is still reasonably attractive to the R’s. It feels like if they don’t run him they lose a lot of the rabid base that put him into office in the first place, so that feels like a pipe dream.

2 Likes

I think the public, and particularly media personalities like to engage in political prognostication (so do I for that matter). Regardless though, I don’t want to take a shot in the dark about potential Republican primaries. I just don’t know what will happen. The possibilities run a gamut from no real primary or a pro-forma challenge, to Mueller or the resignation that he’s mentioned before.

Yeah though, that’s one thing that gets lost in the noise. Trump has normal levels of popularity among Republicans for a president of their own party. The broad loathing for him comes mostly from a combination of Democrats and Independents. While there is such thing as a never Trump Republican, they seem to make up less than twenty percent of the Republican party. Put another way, his approval rating has tended to hover above 80% among his own party.

1 Like

I still have problems swallowing the way that evangelicals take him in, but just last night I read a very real facebook post about how voting democrat is a sin because baby killing. Good times. But yeah, that’s why I was curious what the outlook was.

2 Likes

Tribalism is a hell of a drug.

2 Likes

Nooooo! Already?
I like politics but you guys (and gals :wink: ) with your 2 years political campaign are over the top!

Seem to be a recurrent theme these days… Or the last 10-15 years.

To be honest I don’t follow American politics nearly enough to have an “educated” opinion this early. But I tend to agree with that. On the other end. Who thought Trump stood a chance in January 2016? As stated by @TemetNosce the role of speaker or it’s equivalent tend to burn candidates over the years. Can’t say I like her very much either.
Opinions can change…
The only potential candidate I followed a little is Kamala Harris. I like her…
Which probably means she doesn’t stand a chance! :smiley:
Too “far left” for the U.S, perceived as too agressive “for a woman”. :rage: She have a past (True or not, it doesn’t matter in politics.) that can be played on by the Rep.

The difficulty will be to find someone that while strong enough, doesn’t become “anyone but”.

:point_up: That. Is beyond me

2 Likes

Harris may actually be in the strongest position of the younger cohort, excepting possibly O’Rourke honestly. Not that much in her past to drag her down, and her positions put her in a good spot for catching the current moment.

2 Likes

I read something on Twitter the other day, which basically summed it up thusly: Our current political climate is one of populism. Traditional Democrat or Republican party platforms no longer matter as much to the electorate, as everyone seems to think they’re somehow getting screwed by the “Establishment.” This is along the lines of the theory that says that the election of Trump was less about Trump himself, and more of a big giant middle finger to the Establishment political class for the past 30 years.

Consequently, the only Democrat that could stand a chance against Trump will be another populist. So, who’re the Democratic-leaning populists that come to mind? Dunno, as the past has proven my political prediction skills severely lacking (e.g., Trump will never survive the primaries; ok, but Trump will never win the general election; HOLY ■■■■■■■ ■■■■), but I think Biden could do well in a populist role. Sanders… maybe. (Oddly enough, Trump and Bernie share some political market share.) Beto? Perhaps, inexperienced though he is, so was Obama and that turned out pretty well for the D’s. He definitely has the populist role down, but I dunno.

Cory Booker? I like him, he’s teamed up with my spirit animal Rand Paul on a few things in the Senate, although I think he’s more liberal than populist. Warren? God, please no.

I think that Biden actually probably has the best chance of anyone I can think of so far, mostly because he can be a silly ■■■■■ when he needs to be. And if there were ever an election in which a silly ■■■■■ will win, it’ll be 2020. I don’t know who it will be, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be some silly ■■■■■.

Vote Silly ■■■■■ 2020!

3 Likes

“The consequences of a rapid exit are both predictable and unacceptable.”
– Donald Trump, August 2017

9mo, 2w, and 1w ago, respectively:

2 Likes

3 Likes

That… guy. Was born with a foot in his mouth.

1 Like

1 Like

Adapt or disappear.
International commerce is here to stay. Like it or not.

4 Likes

Free trade meme though.

I continued my established more of a good thing google images practice and googled ‘free trade meme cat’

… Pleased

5 Likes

It’s a good time to not live in Brazil

The world is running out of sane countries.

3 Likes