Political Thread Derailment

Just one example from Wikipedia-Politicization of science:

In July 2006 the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) released survey results that demonstrate pervasive political influence of science at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).[44] Of the 997 FDA scientists who responded to the survey, nearly one fifth (18 percent) said that they “have been asked, for non-scientific reasons, to inappropriately exclude or alter technical information or their conclusions in a FDA scientific document.” This is the third survey Union of Concerned Scientists has conducted to examine inappropriate interference with science at federal agencies.

The Department of Health and Human Services also conducted a survey addressing the same topic which generated similar findings.[45]According to USA Today , a survey of Food and Drug Administration scientists by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the Union of Concerned Scientists found that many scientists have been pressured to approve or reject new drugs despite their scientific findings concerns.[45] In July 2006, the Union of Concerned Scientists released survey results that they said “demonstrate pervasive political influence of science” at the Food and Drug Administration.[46][47]

The fact of the matter is, if money is involved, be it grants, funding, lobbyists, science will not be pure.

1 Like

Nothing will ever be pure, this is planet Earth. Science needs funding to develop new technologies. What you copy-pasted shows that politics and unchecked capitalism corrupts everything it touches - who knew ? The fact that you can read about it shows, like I previously said, that the system has the capability for self-correction. If anything, you should be amazed every time you walk out your house, look around and realise that everything around you was accomplished DESPITE the human flaws and the political and economic corruption holding it back. Purity isn’t necessary for any concept to be sufficiently efficient.

1 Like

What I’ve discussed is the political use of science and you are defending science in general. What you are saying is absolutely true. No argument here. But I guess that is why this a Political Thread Derailment. :blush:

What I’ve said and have copy and paste is that science has been used (and abused) to try to make us believe in certain agendas. Independent thinking and digging for the whole truth is what the 99% should do and not believe that one group of scientists have all the answers.

Edit: New topic: Critical Race Theory

Concocted by academics, scholars and activists to keep the hate alive.

:point_down:This is what we should be preaching :point_down:

Not CRT.

So very true. I know many people who came from other countries to ESCAPE the stuff that is starting to happen here in USA now. They saw first hand what Communism and Marxism does. And, somehow, even though it NEVER has worked, these people trying to control us now think it will work this time. You are right about Orwell, and others. People were warned, but here we are again. Humanity about to make the same mistakes all over again. What happened to “never again”?

Its not simply a left or right issue, it’s an issue of division. Divide and Conquer…AGAIN! The media propagates nothing but division. REAL news and stories are ignored in favor of whatever promotes the agenda and narrative. Any story that happens that goes against the narrative, is ghosted. It doesn’t help when these corporations want to promote a one sided ideology. Disney being one of the worst imo. I don’t want identity politics in my entertainment. It’s in everything now. Movies, Games, Comics. I want to be entertained and ESCAPE that!!! I don’t want to be preached at when watching a Marvel show or a Star Wars movie. I don’t want to be scolded and told I am somehow “privileged” when reading a comic or playing a video game. I am sick of this censorship we are geting in games now as well. It’s ok to blow the heads off people, but having a scantily clad girl is some kind of crime now. Utter nonsense. And they wonder why sales and ratings are down.

It’s also quite odd to me that the people who were preaching against censorship not long ago, are the ones promoting/lobbying for and screaming on twitter for everything and everyone to be censored/shut down/cancelled now.

If there was true diversity, then all this wouldn’t be one sided. Period. If Disney and Lucasfilm were really diverse and tolerant, then you would see people who happen to be on the right as employee’s free to say the same things the people on the left are allowed to say. But they aren’t.

1 Like

OMG! I wish I could give you more than 1 like. Oh, wait a minute…here you go.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

You are so right! Thank you!

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

interesting, took a minute, my knee jerk reaction was ‘wow, more white boy rap’, but glad I watched it through

1 Like

You know that gif where Abe Simpsons take his hat off. See Bart at the gentlemen’s club and do a 180°. (Or is it a 540°?)
Yeah. That one.

You know that meme “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out…”
Yeah. That one.

in the book Animal Farm, the leaders told the other farm animals science proves why they get the best food, the other animals need to trust science.

1 Like