[Poll] If you could choose one area for Gearbox to focus on, what would it be?

So I’m not sure what you mean by “balancing problems,” but IMO one of the biggest balancing problems in the game right now has nothing to do with Mayhem scaling. Rather, it is that they keep introducing new DLCs with more powerful weapons, and so the base game weapons are pretty s$&# as a result. In some cases, it’s literally THE SAME WEAPON (Monarch, Reflux, Plaguebearer are 3 examples, but I feel certain there are more); in other cases, the DLC weapons are different, but they are so much more powerful that there is little point to using the base game weapons if you want to play the harder difficulty levels.

I think one of the first things GBX needs to figure out, and quickly, is how to boost the damage of the main game weapons so that they can compete for usage. Right now, there are not a ton of base game weapons that are in the so-called “meta.” That seems like kind of a big flaw to me.

1 Like

This is all subjective but I couldn’t agree more. Coffee commander and turd farming was kind of funny the first time, but they are no Face Mcshooty. Idk the writing felt like a weird departure from the rest of the series. Don’t get me wrong there were a lot of parts of the dialogue I enjoyed and found myself laughing, but they were few and far between.

I think their biggest mistakes story wise was to ignore already very well developed characters (or change their personalities beyond recognition) and try to force new ones. Even with the commander Lilith DLC bridging the gap there is such a big disconnect between 2 and 3.

4 Likes

More slaughter arenas. Stuff you can do repeatedly that has new weapon drops.
And no, not a 30 minute take down. Something shorter.

4 Likes

Funny you should say that. I’ve just been going through this with the FL4K I am still levelling. Consider this Cartels drop:

Now admittedly that NoPewPew might have had the best possible combination of parts, and parts can make a significant difference. Still, 5 levels plus 1 mayhem (except for the Bekah)? You know which one I’m picking if I’m going to be playing through areas with mostly flesh targets, despite the cognitive dissonance created by using a level 37 weapon on a level 43 character.

2 Likes

It is very subjective and entirely my opinion, and I do very much agree with all you said, the humour was certainly lacking in replay value. And, also the part about the transformation of characters, I could live with some and others were horrible. For instance Maya grew on me and I did like her development, Tina was well overdone but still the Tina we know, but Gaige on the other hand was truly shocking, I have replayed that dlc since and still cannot get used to it no matter how hard I try.

3 Likes

Aaaaaand there’s the issue. Regardless of the developers’ intent, what this feels like right now is: “Buy the DLCs, or else you cannot play Mayhem 10.” I realize that I am conflating several arguments there, but that is basically the way it feels from a player perspective. I only play Mayhem 10 difficulty, and if I didn’t have the DLCs, I am unsure on whether I would be able to do either of the Takedowns. I probably could put together a build and weapons from only the base game to do a Maliwan Takedown, but I am 100% sure I wouldn’t be able to do a Mayhem 10 Guardian Takedown with only the base game weapons. That is a problem, and a serious one.

5 Likes

He is talking about weapons from cartel event, they aren’t part of any dlc.
DLC gear is easier to get due to higher drop chances, but you don’t need any of those to do the takedowns.
Atm some game mechanics are so broken, there is nothing difficult in the game when you know what you are doing.
Thx to Mayhem scaling.

1 Like

If that’s what you took away from the exchange I had with @VaultHunter101, you honed in on the wrong thing. The point was that the base game weapons are mostly irrelevant in endgame M10 play right now. The reason this is the case is that the devs keep introducing more and more powerful weapons (power creep) - doesn’t matter really whether they were from a free event or a paid DLC.

In any event, the cartel weapons aren’t available any longer, so none of them are really very much in the “meta” right now.

2 Likes

You’ll have to read more than the first sentence.

I had to vote miscellaneous, because I think they NEED to do too many of those. Weapon balance, gear balance, character/skill trees all need to be done. Bug fixes and the like need to be done. Vertical split screen needs to be done. They need to add more story content, more takedowns or raids, more circles of slaughter (for the dlc areas), bring back the events like cartels as permanent headhunter content, and add more of them. They need to add more trials based on the dlc content, and make the trials a little more worth doing. While I get that if they focused on one, maybe it would actually get done sooner, and correctly, but all of this stuff has to happen for the longevity of the game. With all of the great games coming in the next few months, and the console launches, if they don’t get it into gear, and start making serious headway on some of this, they are running the risk of this game becoming what all of the trolls insist that it already is, a dead game.

1 Like

Where is drop rates on that list lol

1 Like

Oh that’s a good one. I guess we can put it in misc; a catch all for anything I couldn’t think of at the time of creating the poll.

Re-focus this one very important thing:

Battleborn

Sorry, playing BL3 I can’t stop thinking about it.

The main difference, and primary downgrade in game design between BL2 and BL3 is the viability of base game weapons/mission rewards. I can take any VH in BL2 through Digi peak on M10 with an entire loadout of base game items. Can we say that about BL3?

Would be be possible to tackle some of the harder content i.e. Trial of Fervor, Slaughter Shaft, Takedown’s using only base game items? Maybe with Amara and Moze due to scaling skills and IB, but this would be quite the feat with FL4K or Zane without powercreeped DLC/Event weapons and Seein’ Dead.

3 Likes

Flak can do that too :grin:
You just need a red fang a plaguebearer and a monarch :crazy_face:
But I understand what you mean, early base game stuff needs to be nearly godroll.
New stuff added, is most of the time more than OP. Maybe its GBX way to not force us to farm for god rolls :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, Monarch + Plaguebearer/Backburner seems to be the fix all. Crying shame you have to save quit farm potentially hours to get a good one of either.

I want to be able to use the rewards I got from missions and what I can get by actually playing the game. Not just killing one boss over and over.

2 Likes

New content.

My actual choice is not present. It is similar to gear/gun balance but a slightly different take. I would want them to improve itemization in general. Farming in this game is a bit of a bore. Too easy to find a legendary. Too hard to get the actual anoints and stats you want.

2 Likes

Now I get our miscommunication earlier. I did read your entire comment so I felt the sarcasm in your response to me initially was unwarranted, but now I think I understand.

I did mention DLC weapons, but that wasn’t really very precise on my part. I get that the Monarch and Plaguebearer technically are base game weapons, but they represent the very problem I am trying to describe. There already were two weapons just like these two - the Dictator and the Lump/Scourge. Be it via base game weapons that were added after the fact or DLC weapons, the problem is the same - power creep. On Mayhem 10, when was the last time you used the Brainstormer (that wasn’t on a leveling playthrough)? The Dictator? The Scourge?

The issue that I have been driving at here is that GBX keeps making the weapons in their own game irrelevant. I would like to see them buff the Brainstormer, Dictator, and other similar weapons so that there was a reason to use them at end game.

2 Likes

Stability and fixes. Get with Tim Sweeney if you have to, to figure out why texture streaming is so buggered and why load times are apparently so atrocious on console.

You can jury rig around the texture streaming/hitching/microstutter problems on PC (RIP consoles) with some .ini tweaks or command line arguments but the game’s performance shouldn’t be as poor as it is in its default state.

2 Likes

A skip dialog option would be nice

3 Likes