[Poll] To Fix Or Not To Fix?

I use the Initiative on Amara as my primary shield, and I only play on M10. With her green tree damage reduction, large life pool, a Stone class mod, and her elemental life steal, she can actually use the “0 shields” shields very effectively. Even when getting hit by many enemies as once, the damage reduction is strong enough to allow me to stay alive thanks to her lifesteal.

Zane can also use them well thanks to his lifesteal and Barrier, but I think right now Amara is hands down the best user of the Rough Rider and Initiative shields.

I do not think they should buff shields. If they do anything, simply revert the enemy gun scaling. If you think about it, attempting to buff shields is probably more difficult to balance correctly, and it’s basically the same as reverting enemy damage.

Example:
Enemy X does 1000 damage per shot in normal. Your shield has 10000 capacity. One shot does 1/10th your total shields.

Lets pretend that M10 scaling is 5x. So now, Enemy X does 5000 damage per shot on M10. If they buff shields to scale the same way, your shield would now have 50000 capacity. One shot still does 1/10th your total shields.

I think that if they want to change things, it’s much cleaner to simply revert enemy damage to its original scaling/balance, which I thought was in a good place.

I’d rather they fix the enemy weapon issue rather than make mayhem level shields. The reason being is that there would be alot more balancing work needed if they add mayhem levels to shields because the things not using guns weren’t effected at this point.

Add mayhem scaling enemy guns as a mayhem modifier that can be rolled for people that like it that way.

2 Likes

If they buff player shields it’ll probably buff enemy shields as well.

And thus the cycle continues… XD

3 Likes

I guess I’m in the minority opinion here. There’s two ways to make an enemy more challenging. Make them a bullet sponge, or make them deal more damage. Pick a lane. I would rather have enemies do killer damage. It makes you play smarter. Bullet sponges are boring and require nothing more than ammunition management.

Yes, you could increase enemy speed, improve accuracy etc. In reality almost everything can be pigeonholed into increase damage or increase tankiness.

1 Like

Yah, couldn’t disagree more.

1 Like

If they leave enemy gun damage the way it is now, they’re gonna have to scale up all other enemy attack damage (critter attacks, melee strikes, etc) to match. That’s a whole other complex can of programming worms to open up.

Best to just fix the enemy’s guns so they don’t spawn with the special part that gives them a mayhem level.

1 Like

I would definitely prefer they leave the buffed gun damage. It forces you to play carefully and use cover properly, the way the game intends.

2 Likes

Am I missing something? I assumed when on MH10, the enemies would be using MH10 weapons?? I mean, we’re using them?? They’re supposed to use non MH weapons against MH10 weapons?

2 Likes

Yes, Mayhem enemies are just supposed to be harder to kill, not hit harder. It was in the Bordercast prior to Phase 2 patch. The whole reason they didn’t scale shields was because M10 enemies aren’t hitting any harder than M0.

3 Likes

Cool, Thanx for the explanation.

I would love to have the middle ground, a scaling for both shields and enemy weapons. Or they just lower the scaling for enemies to make it more manageable for Moze and especially Fl4k. Although I would like a static damage increase of 5% per Mayhem level. That would increase the challenge slightly, but wouldn’t do it by that much that Fl4k and Moze become too squishy.

1 Like

This seems like a sensible request IMO. I do agree with whoever mentioned increasing mon-weapon damage from enemies as well.

Edit: it was @Rumplebunny, they raise a fair point as well, actually fixing this would require a fair bit of coding I would say

I remember how I was always 1 shot in BL2’s OP8-10. Fix it. I want to be out of FFYL for more than 2 seconds during combat.

1 Like

You begin noticing it more at places like the Anvil. After going there the other day, I say fix it.

1 Like

+1 - this would be a rather elegant solution, I think. And as far as modifiers go, it would be pretty unobtrusive - no visual pollution etc.

3 Likes

I think I made my opinion about this in another topic but I think it should be fixed. I don’t think the damage output is that bad but if we have to continue dealing with the stupid mayhem modifiers they should definitely fix it. The increased damage coupled with all the annoying modifiers is just not a fun combo.

One caveat to my previous statements would be if they could leave higher damage in place but remove some of the spike damage. Having higher damage output overall is fine IMO but having these massive damage spikes constantly is probably the biggest issue. Maybe they could reduce enemy crit damage or crit chance to level out the damage a bit and give other mechanics like regen or other defensive mechanics more of a chance to work.

I think this would also have the side benefit of helping Moze 1hp builds be a bit more durable since that setup has no health gate and gets insta-gibbed so easily on M10.

Im honestly a fan of the damage buff they got by accident. It is better then the bullet sponges they were on old M10 and they are actually a threat now while still being tolerable to kill with more weapons! I say keep the bug as a feature, as ot o ly makes sense for M10 enemies to be using M10 guns.

This would be a perfect solution. Got my vote for this.

1 Like

Added a second poll for making it a Mayhem modifier.

2 Likes