[POLL] Would you like to help create a Homeworld-Based animated short? (cross-post)

Hello!

I’ll cut right to the chase, I am an Animation student graduating college very soon. When I graduate, I am going to try to work on multiple projects I have been putting off due to time constraints. One of these projects is a 3D animated short based in the Homeworld Universe following a few characters.

(Let me be clear that this Project could/will be years in the making, not something that would happen very fast since it is a side project and I’ll have a job and such. However, progress could ramp up in the middle of it if I have help)

Would any of you like to help out with this short film? I would need help on Texturing, Particle Effects in Maya/another program (Houdini perhaps? :grin: ), and possibly modelling. Oh and sound design, if anyone does that here. Since it is a side project, I could (in theory) do all these things myself over time, but I specialize in animation so if I had people on the project that were adept in say, texturing, the final product would most likely be better :wink:

Please use the Poll below so I can get a handle on how many people would/wouldn’t want to participate in this! I believe that if we worked together, this could be something truly amazing!

http://www.strawpoll.me/12778536

Also, PM me if you would like to get a hold of me through email incase you would like me to contact you about this project in the future

(I posted this in the main HW:RM discussion forum, but I actually meant to post it here. Mods, if it is against the rules to cross-post please let me know)

I mean, I certainly have given plenty of thought to such a project myself. I enjoy - or at least have historically enjoyed - animating, and Homeworld would be on my short-short list of things to animate. But all of my ways are obsolete. I never got much past the 90’s. Don’t know Maya or Houdini from my elbow. Just a defunct old demo of Cinema 4D.

I am curious of your intentions though. “Homeworld-based” is a pretty broad stroke! Four games, four eras… and peoples’ interest level in those eras can vary substantially. Whenabouts were you thinking?

1 Like

Ah, I’m glad you asked! My ultimate goal would be to have a few minutes from the POV of a few characters in pivotal battles/scenes throughout the series. This will be over a very long time and would depend on how much the first Short (this one) pans out.

This first Short however, will follow 2 main characters during the beginning of the Homeworld 1 storyline (Kharak). I think I’m shooting for around 15 minutes in total for this first one.

2 Likes

I’m sure the original is the right place to start!

If you want some unsolicited bad advice, I’d suggest using digital Legos as the animation medium. I got 35 minutes worth of a Star Trek movie done that way one time handling all the animation and character rigging and texturing and scenery and vehicles myself and it only took a few years. Could’ve been faster if I’d tried harder!