Poor Tobi is underpowered?

I really like him as a character, had a blast with him on PVE, but he is really weak in pvp i think. He dies very fast, you have to be very precise with him, and he is not dealing any big damage to the enemies. His shield is weak too. I alwas kill him in pvp in a few seconds, and if the enemy player is with Tobi, he dies over and over again, Tobi is weak compared to other Battleborns. What do you think about this?

Nah he’s fine, just some helix changes needed

You haven’t met any really good ones yet. Every match we go into against Toby we generally make sure our ranged heroes know to knock that damn shield down the minute you see it.
Yeah, he’s big with the worst crit spot ever but he’s fairly mobile for quick bursty getaways and fully charged rail shots HURT. A lot.
With the right gear he can do some serious damage if left unchecked. After he gets his legendary he’s almost untouchable by melees. Two 2 second stuns means clean up or easy getaway.

2 Likes

Hes not weak, just too many OP characters. No point playing unless you are rocking Kleese, Ambra, Benedict on your team.

2 Likes

I wish his railgun had faster projectiles. That’s about it. Maybe tougher force fields.

2 Likes

He can do a sickening amount of damage, if unattended. If you have a strong fronline that’s going to hold the center well, Toby can be a great choice. If your team doesn’t have the ability to hold center, he is absolutely useless as he’s too easy to chase and rack criticals on. He has plenty of power and potential, he’s just too easy to counter.

2 Likes

4/5 games i play with him I usually have highest damage and kills. He’s not great for capture but for meltdown and incursion he can melt faces if you stay back and use your mines to slow people down. if you see a toby in the front lines, hes being played terribly wrong.

4 Likes

He’s just high risk, high reward, like pre patch Benny. If you’re good with him, everything will die. Like, more than almost every other character. Very high skill ceiling. Otherwise? Not so much.

2 Likes

Benedict used to be that way, now he’s just busted.

7 Likes

Ik, that’s why I wrote old Benny lol.

4 Likes

Ooh wow, I’m smart. Ignore me.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing Toby quite a bit in PVP, and I must say he can be a powerhouse. Like others have said, if your team can keep them off of you, you should have a good time as Toby. Only gear I run on him is a shard gen/ max shield/ skill dmg +max shield. Even if he is not getting kills he is a huge distraction and annoyance to the enemy. Keep the enemies eyes on you and your team can pounce.

Another good thing, helix at lvl 5 Panic mode. can really save you in tight situation. I’ve survived a few onslaughts from Rath and marquis, who usually are kryptonite to Toby thanks to it. just remember to use up your boost to have that 30% damage reduction, and gear with damage reduction will help as well.

As a master of Toby I agree 100% of the way. A lot of this helixes and mutations are pretty bad, and usually it just comes down to only one choice. I wish they’d change his helix choices and Attikus’s helix choices as well.

1 Like

Toby is feast or famine.

If the other team knows how to counter you, you’re in for a frustrating match where your shield never lasts more than 2 seconds and you’re constantly harassed.

However, if the other team isn’t actively countering you, or if your team keeps them busy, Tob can dish out some serious damage.

I’ve absolutely owned the whole battlefield on several occasions, as Toby. But I’ve had just as many matches with nary a kill.

It helps to know which enemies can cause you the most trouble, and focus them a bit. Marquis, Benedict, OM and WF are probably the worst. Melka can be trouble, too. And of course, always beware another Toby.

3 Likes

He’s far from UP, however he’s very hard to master. 9 of 10 players I see as him gets wrecked, but that one guy, that one guy absolutely wrecks havoc…

2 Likes

Most people just don’t know how to make the most out of him tbh.

Kaz, Toby is like ISIC. he’s a Shield Based Defender. Stack some Maximum Shield Strength gear, and get used to using his forcefield as more of a decoy than a full on wall. Your numbers will improve significantly. Remember, as a tank, you want to be eating your enemy team’s big shots, so your DPS and support can go in under safer conditions. At later levels, Toby can be as good a battleship as ISIC, but in the early game, you want him being more the menace that can’t be ignored for too long.

1 Like

So, after playing as (and killing him a lot), he’s what his label says. Territorial, but not a tank. His easy crit makes it a joke to whittle down. He’s best played by claiming an area, and making sure no one can ever enter. Try, and get headshot. Get too close? Stunned. Manage to finally get him? Boost away. Shoot from afar? Triple shots. Regen allowing him to stay in lane, and shield doing the same. He is a defender, but of territory, not of others.

3 Likes

The only thing Toby needs is a bit more reliability on his shield. Bad teams won’t bother shooting it. Good ones will tear it down in 2 seconds. This leads to a huge disparity in Toby’s effectiveness depending on the quality of the competition.

3 Likes