Pop Culture References

this game is full of them including: get some from full metal jacket, and well that’s the only one i can name right now, can you guys name some more as I am fascinated in the pop culture references in this game

2 Likes

There was almost certainly a thread on this topic in the old forums, but you’d have to go digging through the internet archive to try and find it (and it might not be accessible even then).

Too many references though!

5 Likes

“Sexual Tyrannosaurus”, one of Sal’s skills, was from the first Predator movie. Jessie “The Body” Ventura says it…I think in reference to his chewing tobacco.

6 Likes

There are so many pop culture references that it’s almost impossible to name them all. Many of them appear in BAR challenges or red text on unique gear, however… Some are more subtle. One that I’ve never seen any comments on is the mission objective text you get when you need to kill Assassin Rouf in the mission “Assassinate the Assassins”. It says “MDK Rouf”. Even though I can’t offer any evidence, I’m pretty sure that this one is from the 80’s movie “Demolition man”. MDK meaning “Murder, Death, Kill”

5 Likes

there’s one i do remember when salvador is out of ammo he says “Nuts!” which is a reference to Band of Brothers the miniseries when colonel sink is addressing the boys on Christmas, he says, “to the German commander… Nuts!” one of the best lines from the miniseries

3 Likes

Here’s this from TPS

4 Likes

Nearly EVERYTHING in Borderlands is a pop culture reference.

An example: Almost every mission in The Dust is a reference to a movie. “Too Close For Missiles” has a whole bunch of references to Top Gun, “The Good, the Bad and the Mordecai” is obviously a reference to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (even concluding with a three-way duel over a cache of loot hidden in a grave) and the entire “Clan War” string of missions is inspired by the many films that were based on Dashiell Hammet’s Continental Op story Red Harvest. Ellie even calls attention to this fact in a line of dialogue during the mission: “After this red harvest between the two clans, you’re gonna be the last man standing with a fistful of dollars! Yojimbo”. Even the Gwen’s Head, the unique pistol that you can find at different spots every time you enter The Dust, is a reference to the movie Se7en.

6 Likes

There’s also the “Between Two Ferns” thing, the LotR easter egg (Geary’s quest), and the Dark Souls reference in Caustic Caverns.

6 Likes

Sal’s skill trees are full of references. All in the Reflexes is a reference to Big Trouble in Little China, 5 Shots or 6 is a Dirty Harry reference (so is everyone’s favorite FFYL tool, the Unkempt Harold), and Inconceivable is a Princess Bride reference, and those are just the ones I got right away. I keep going back and forth on whether Mr Torgue is supposed to be an homage to Macho Man Randy Savage, although he could just be a parody of the dude-bro sub culture. Now that I think about it, his incessant air guitar riffs bear a resemblance to Bill and Ted (and we have had a most excellent adventure here on Pandora, haven’t we?), don’t they?

6 Likes

One of the most obscure is The Darkness in Hatred’s Shadow that you have to attack with a Magic Missile. I had to get Worblehat to explain that one in detail for me.

There’s the Double Rainbow camp in The Highlands.

4 Likes

The one that killed me was the first time I heard a dying psycho say to me “never gonna give you up…!”

7 Likes