Positivity, Optimism and Above All Being Constructive in the BB Forums

From what I’ve seen, most of the negative Nancys have left thankfully. The game isn’t perfect and some people are having technical issues with it, but it works for the most part and is the most fun I’ve had since the Witcher 3 came out; it’s also the second game I’ve pre-ordered, but I played in the CTT so I knew what I would be getting. Most of my gripes look like they’ll be fixed as soon as GBX can get the patches certified, so I’m going to do what I love and that’s play the game with my wife and our friends while we send digital minions back to the Varelsi. :dukeaffirmative:

2 Likes

But if you just came here to gripe that Overwatch gets more press and is killing the game instead maybe actually play the game because every player counts. The game can grow but it is up to us.

I disagree. I used to be like you, hopeful that writing positive, rational, useful posts about player experience were heard by the development team. After YEARS and YEARS of being in Alphas, Betas, Server firsts, Top Ranked, etc. I can tell you that game developers only hear The Bottom Line.

If you disagree with me, and you think the developers are doing qualitative phenomenological analysis on forum posts, you are seriously overestimating their abilities.

Game companies like Blizzard nerf and buff based on math (SLOWLY, like by 10% increments) and give alternative play styles for those who feel that their character “sucks now” by empowering less popular talent picks. On top of that, they EXPLAIN how they came to the conclusions they did and repeatedly say in developer interviews “we don’t like nerfs”.

When a new game everybody was looking forward to comes out that is missing the transparency and honesty of other competitive game companies, players expect more. It’s called capitalism - but online we get a voice AND the choice to speak with out wallets.

Issues with games should be raised, but in a logical and realistic way. Grossly exaggerating the issues and pretending to predict the future demise of a game really should stop, as it is unproductive and unnecessary to anything, unless the poster wants to look foolish or like a 5 year old. In the last many years of being a part of many different game forums, I have noticed many gamers like to throw logic out the window in their arguments and post emotional rants of garbage.

2 Likes

I understand and completely agree that in the end Developers do care about the Bottom Line above all else (Oximoron noted and ignored). This is a business after all and they have every right to be focused on making money.

I also completely agree that Blizzard has done an excellent job of nerfs and buffs in all their current games and have an astounding amount of transparency when it comes to those things despite a complete lack of transparency in many other aspects of their business practices. What I disagree with is your statement that Gearbox has been non-transparent during their current hotfixes (note that I specifically said hotfix and not patch). They have also been clear that they are using math in order to calculate these nerfs they have implemented in their hotfixes. They have yet to release an actual patch yet due to the third party authentication for consoles something that Blizzard has never had to deal with until now with Overwatch’s multiplatform release. So I’m sure the patches for Overwatch will be released in a similar fashion to those in Battleborn. I understand that as consumers our power lies in our wallets and that is a power we must wield but so far I have not seen any arbitrary changes made to this game without explanation and reason.

I noticed many of your other posts are about the nerfs to ISIC’s shield. I understand you are upset that they nerfed a character that you enjoyed playing but making unfounded accusations that the Devs are being opaque in their decision making process and accusing them of failing to address issues in the first patch when the first patch has yet to be released is completely unnecessary. You have every right to raise concerns but be wary that you are not the only one who plays this games and making posts that basically just trash the game without proper reasoning can be harmful to the community as a whole. If you’re are truly as jaded as you say you are I pity you deeply.

6 Likes

Expecting any developer to be able to balance as well as Blizzard does is just silly.

Blizzard has almost two decades of balancing one of the most popular e-Sports in the world…no other dev can boast that.

2 Likes

Galilea:

We took a good look at Galilea’s damage and found that she still has the ability to kill players in a short amount of time. We want to promote the health regeneration and zone control loops so we reduced damage some more. The Shield Throw skill was set to a high damage multiplier which we usually award to skills that deal damage only. Since the Shield Throw has a stun, we reduced the damage to match other skills that contain crowd control on top of damage.

-Reduced Galilea’s Great Sword damage by 18%
-Reduced Shield Throw damage by 33%

Miko:

Miko’s ability to heal others and itself at the same time proved to enable duos of players to dive enemies without much risk. Now, Miko players will have to navigate spaces with more precision and rely on allies to peel off enemies more often instead of being able to just turn and run away.

-Reduced the movement speed bonus of Miko’s level 7 Left Helix Augment, Fight or Flight, to 15% and its duration to 2s
-Reduced the healing effect of Biosynthesis by 25%

ISIC:

ISIC’s Rotating Wards allowed ISIC to soak lots of damage while dealing lots of damage. The reduction of Rotating Wards’ strength gives enemies a faster window to prevent ISIC from controlling the area. In addition, ISIC players could manipulate their shield regen easily with the first augmentation and some gear pieces so we reduced the augmentation strength. And since ISIC has so many defensive options, we wanted players to be able to quickly whittle ISIC down if they got past his defenses so we reduced his base health.

-Reduced ISIC’s base health by 20%
-Reduced Rotating Wards’ block strength by 50%
-Reduced Watchful Wards’ bonus by 40%

-Adjusted skill-based matchmaking ranges to speed up matchmaking times
-Fixed a minor audio issue on the Meltdown map, Paradise
-Changed all Faction loot packs to unlock at level 15
-Reduced the Silver and Gold medal requirements for each medal in the story mission “The Archive” by 20%
-Doubled the health of stationary defense objectives in story mode
-Made performance improvements on the multiplayer maps Echelon and Coldsnap

How is that not transparent? And this only a week or so after the release. Yes GBX is interested in the bottom line because they all want to be paid, just like anybody else who works for a living, but that doesn’t mean that’s the only thing they’re interested in. Your attitude towards them is one of the thing I think the OP is trying to address. If you look through their patch logs for Borderlands 2, you’ll see a very detailed description of what they did and why they did it if they were adjusting numbers. Hell, they even fixed one of the character’s most broken skills (Maya’s Cloudkill) and made it into one of the best (a real game changer as it should have been because of where it sits on her tree). So, yes, GBX has been very transparent and, yes, we should voice our concerns, but basically calling them a bunch of greedy bastards is not only true, it’s unfair and unproductive. I’m with Adam in that I’m very sorry for you if that’s how you truly feel.

7 Likes

I am flabbergasted by all the praise for the way Blizzard handles balance. Admittedly, I haven’t played any of their titles since around th time D3 launched, but they have been notorious for making massive sweeping nerfs for years. While I haven’t played Overwatch (and won’t), I’ve heard from multiple people that it has much larger balance issues than BB (which is perhaps to be expected since it hasn’t been released).

Maybe they have gotten better. If so, kudos to them. It just surprises me to hear people describe them in that way.

3 Likes

Really? Blizzard has been known has the best balancers in gaming for over a decade. I’m surprised it surprises you.

1 Like

negative or positive it doesnt matter as much to me as long as it is constructive. the problem i have is more with tone of posts and people going after developers (in general). i think part of it is emotion and timing of posts. if someone just loses a game badly because of an issue they will come on here right after and let loose. this tends to lead to these type of posts.

Regarding overwatch i played the beta as well and it played good, though its a lot different than battleborn. the pace is much faster and takes only a few shots to go down. ive been moslty playing battleborn single player with a group which has been a lot of fun. also i think the heroes in Battleborn are just better. Almost all of them feel bad ass and have a deep progression tree. so i think it will have a community for a while.

1 Like

Lol glad to see this is being brought to light.

They did fix Maya’s cloud skill but it took them a long time to do it. They didn’t fix it that quickly.

I have to be honest, I don’t want the game to die off when Borderlands 3 news starts coming in. I don’t know if those wanting news for that game silently want BB to die down as fast as possible to get to BL3, but regardless, everyone should help with making this game avoid getting the, “Doomed to die after 3 years,” mark. Just my two cents. No offense to people wanting Borderlands 3 information.

Maybe so but they still fixed it.

Yeah they did but we had to get them to look at the issue which was a feat into itself and that took a while to do. I remember that quite well. But it was fixed eventually.

Coming from someone who plays this game on PS4.

Everything in the patch notes are “gut feelings” this is missing both the Math AND Psychology needed to keep players happy. You are being an apologist right now with:

And this only a week or so after the release.

You are EXACTLY the kind of person I am talking about in my original post. I used to be JUST like you. Eventually, enough games will come out and you will not be heard and you will see the games you love fail. It’s not an IF, but WHEN. I hope it doesn’t happen to this game, but it is trending exactly like every other game I have ever seen flop…

When an admin/developer gets on and addresses the player complaints with the latest patch, I will feel differently about this trend.

Oh, and I never said gearbox was being non-transparent or dishonest. Nice strawman though.

This forum is positive compared to the division forum

1 Like

Honest mistake I assumed you were talking about them here and I apologize if I misconstrued your words here. I hope you can understand where my confusion came from. And maybe you can help me understand what exactly you were talking about with the “missing the transparency and honesty of other competitive game companies”. I really wasn’t trying to strawman, I just don’t understand what exactly is being referred to when you talk about the lack of transparency and honesty.

Any forum is compared to Ubisofts games.

You get a thumbs up just for mentioning the N64…those were the days!

1 Like