Possibility of BL3 pay to win

Recently I came across a post in another topic that said borderlands 3 could be pay to win. I Being the Normal Vault Hunter Myself though this would be impossible. So if anyone believes it will be pay to win please explain. Because 2K does not have 100% control of the game. It wont be like EA’s sport’s games except for some reason i’m doubting myself . If you think it will be or don’t think it will be . Then post below this reasons why. Yes i know its PVE .

As the publisher 2K get to set a number of stipulations to the game, especially being as they are the party which has fronted the money for the game development initially.

It has been confirmed there will be a lot of cosmetics in the game (skins, vehicle skins, weapon skins, echo device skins etc) which leads me to believe (and hope) that they’ll take a similar approach to Bl2 in so much as release cosmetic packs that don’t have any impact on the game aside from what you want to look like. I think I saw about emotes too which I’ve got little to not interest in.

This is a clip from the reveal stream, some people will take it as no MT’s full stop, some will claim the cosmetic DLC fall under the MT bracket

On the flip side

The CEO of Take 2, the parent company of 2K, has said that “recurrent consumer spending is the way of the future” and wants to see them in all games. As in Micro transactions.

Of course they reneged on that last year so it may not be the case;

There is also the fact that some nations, or even individual states in some cases, are trying to make loot boxes illegal which could dissuade companies from trying to implement anything of this sort in initially as it would require going back to remove them down the line.

September 2018 (This specific one was for NBK2018 I think)

Ultimately, I doubt they’ll add Micro-transactions in beyond possibly cosmetic Micro-DLC (such as the skin DLC packs in 2, which weren’t present in TPS mind). As for anything that impacts the game as “Pay2Win” mechanics go - As an individual I very much doubt it.

This was also discussed in depth here too (and doesn’t need reviving, but it might set some of your worries down if you read it.)

7 Likes

Borderlands 3 won’t be pay to win right? Cause I hope it isn’t.

I wouldn’t worry about it

People were scared Bl3 would be an MMO or Battle Royal, or make it PVP like Destiny or this or that…

What happened it was just like Borderlands, Gearbox paid attention to what fans wanted and loved about Borderlands and delivered that.

Randy said no microtransactions but they will do cosmetics like bl2 which he doesn’t consider MTs.

Everything else is just pessimistic speculation.

12 Likes

So, first you try to provocate me, and now you make this backhanded topic?

4 Likes

Can’t be Pay to Win if it isn’t multiplayer/multiplayer focused

1 Like

I won’t worry about it .

Basically just jadedness and pessimism. Can’t be disappointed if you already expect the worst.

With the way the “AAA” industry has been going lately, the days of TPS, where skins were thrown at us left and right; where dozens of golden keys were given away practically every day; where a big chunk of the best gear was mission rewards; where if you still didn’t like the drop rates, you could cheat… these seem like bygone days that will never come back, and if someone under Take 2 interactive’s umbrella does promise it, it seems too good to be true.

But like Derch said, it’s just pessimism, albeit one taught by the very industry BL3 is coming from.

1 Like

Well they said for the most part the pay to win mechanics and cash grabs like boosters found in many free to play games wouldn’t be present. However people are still worried because of take two’s influence due to other games they published.

Some of it is under fire in the US as some politicians are currently targeting lootboxes.

1 Like

I swear Social Media breeds gamer paranoia

7 Likes

Cant see them making this Pay too win it would be an oversight if they did,

I’m curious to know what you think “pay to win” would actually mean within the context of a Borderlands game? After all, It’s not an MMO game where story progress is simply a means to support PvP play. So what exactly is there to “win”?

1 Like

Since this is a borderlands game you would have to buy weapon and gear to defeat people in duels curious where this will go

If anything, this would be a “pay to lose” scenario instead of P2W. If you buy a bunch of good gear for a PvE game it only makes the game go quicker so you spend less time with it, making it less fun in my opinion. I would never use IRL money to buy upgrades in a PvE game but to each their own I guess.

Of course it is pay 2 win folks!!!

You can buy cosmetics that make you look cooler than others so thats totally pay 2 win for the fashion war between the vault hunters!!!

Joke aside:
Rly guys I feel so tired of some people not knowing what P2W actual mean that it hurts ^^

P2W is the act where buying stuff with real money give you an advantage in a competetive game which allready indicates that it needs to be multiplayer based and in a way of competition against each other.

So any game that have some kind of xp booster and other stuff that otherwise are single or coop focused can’t be a P2W game…or could it?

The anser is yes it could be if the items bought are not helping to achieve a goal but actual are needed to accomplish it this is actual also a possible way how P2W could work and how it is often done in mobile games even without a competetive focus.

P2W starts where the games mechanics doesn’t allow for reasonable success without having to pay money. For example If you need to grind 1000 years or wait 1000 hours before you can get an item that allows you to get to the end of the game it would also be P2W if you can just buy it with real money.

So in total:
P2W is the act where buying stuff with real money give you an advantage in a game which is needed to finish the game in a reasonable way or giving you an advantage over others competing with you in the game.

But the Borderlands games are not competitive. Aside from duelling (more of an irritant than anything since it gets you nothing) and the arenas in BL1 (notably absent from BL2) there has been no PvP element. And so far, there’s been nothing to indicate any significant such element in BL3. (Randy explicitly ruled out a Battle Royale mode in the PAX East reveal.)

The word on the street (from the gameplay reveal) is that the XP and loot boosters mentioned would be rather like the ones found in BL2. In other words, they might speed up levelling and help a little bit with better than common gear, but they aren’t going to be game changers.

I guess we’ll know more in September when we get our hands on the actual game. But even if it was something like the boosters in Battleborn (double XP) I wouldn’t be too concerned - I never bought those, and pretty much all of my max level characters in that game got there without boosts just fine.

Yea it’s PVE not PVP which is the very reason why PTW is really not possible in the borderlands franchise. And like if said earlier these guys are not nearly like EA who scams people to make them good at the game . If it is a PTW The franchise would die rn. Not to mention Pay for extra is better than PTW. And I being a Borderlands fan don’t want it to go that way.

never thought it was beyond the joke with the cosmetics ^^

BL3 is as much going to be P2W as it is BL2 or BL1 if it would be the case I wouldn’t buy it.

1 Like

well to be honest it would absolutely be possible but of course it will not be otherwise it would be the end for BL franchise. Like mentioned P2W is not only something that advantages Competition but also something that could prevend you from finishing the game if you have no or at least no reasonable access to it.

1 Like

IMO when it comes to things like cash shop drop rate boosters, exp boosters, etc I don’t see it as pay to win in a PvE game. Even in an online game like Fallout 76 which is mostly PvE with some PvP aspects, I don’t really view the controversial atomic shop repair kits as pay to win as there are ways to get them in game for free and the amount of times I’ve actually had to repair anything in my camp since the prelaunch beta can be counted on 1 hand.

However I do still classify it as a sort of predatory microtransaction targeting people with mindsets that will create a subconscious need to have boosters, children that just have no real concept for money, or just people that throw money away on a regular basis. Overall they don’t really gain anything with these in PvE in the long run.

Cosmetics could technically be called predatory as well though as there will be people that just simply have to have EVERYTHING in a game and will buy everything made available just to have it. If they go as far as to sell OP equipment as microtransactions… well I don’t see that happening since its a looter game and Diablo 3 kind of gave a good idea of how badly that can go in the looter genre with the auction house they originally had in that game and later removed.

I also don’t expect them to go the route of loot boxes for cosmetics either since that is one of the things being targeted by multiple countries atm and already banned in at least 1 as a predatory transaction that promotes gambling addictions.