This is my first post in the official gearbox forums. I can say despite not being active much in the community, I have roughly 1900 hours in all 3 main games on PC alone, and have spent hundreds buying the 3 main games and DLC for me, friends, and siblings over steam. I say this because I really care about this franchise, and I at least want a chance for gearbox to hear me out. I have spent a few months on and off compiling a list of possible bug fixes/improvements that people seem to think would make Borderlands 1 a better experience for everyone if an HD re-release on current gen systems were to happen, and a patch for PC, and maybe even last generation consoles were to complement it. This thread shouldn’t be seen as a list of demands, but rather a tool for the developers of a possible remaster to see what we want most. I would never in a million years expect every single thing in this thread to be implemented, but having just a few of these improvements applied would really improve the game for everyone.
I’ve split this list into two basic sections. The first will be bugs, or easy improvements. The second part is mostly a list of improvements that the 2nd game incorporated that never made it in any patches, but might be financially viable if gearbox plans to re-release the game.
• Level 69 guns can only be obtained as an item of the day when you are level 69. Being level 69, it would be nice to have world drops that have a chance to be level 69, and not level 66.
• Equipped guns show a lower level on their card than their actual level.
• On PC you can’t select your sniper rifle proficiency with your mouse.
• You can sometimes not save on exit when you leave too early. This seems like a bug because I’ve never had it happen in BL2.
• You cannot scroll to read a quest when you are looking at it in the menu of the bounty board, or a quest giving NPC. Maybe also include a font size option?
• 2 legendary guns that i know of (draco and penetrator) are glitched to not be legendary.
• At least one gun (reaper) has a bugged legendary effect. This never seemed to happen in borderlands 2.
• Some class mods are bugged, and have a broken secondary effect, like the hunter class mod’s cooldown rate effect. Also, the gunslinger class mod has a sniper rifle skill, which I imagine was a mistake. What might not be a bug is class mods only going to 55, but it would be nice if higher levels were possible.
• The out rider’s health seems too low, but the regeneration rate of its health definitely needs a fix, especially at the later levels. This was done for the non DLC cars in the 2nd game on the last patch for BL2.
• Machine gun style combat rifles cannot spawn in the gun vendor.
• In the Jackobs cove DLC, there is a Jackobs vending machine you can activate, however its only active as long as you don’t leave the area, or game. You could just fix this to make it permenant after completing the quest, but i think it would be cool to make it an actual jackobs only vending machine.
• Some unique enemies do not re-spawn. I believe they all should, especially if DLC fast travel stations were ever added. Here is a list of them, however I didn’t check all of the uniques in knoxx.
9 toes’ skags
King Wee Wee
Zombie Dr. Ned
Hyperion Super-Bad Trooper
• The knoxx armory quest seems like it was meant to, and should be repeatable because you can do it 3 times.
• Players get really annoyed at the repetitious claptrap mission callouts, so adding the yellow exclamation point system to every quest, and getting rid of the callouts would make finding and doing quests less annoying.
• The main story quests feel like they should have the different vault symbol thumbnail as Borderlands 2’s main story quests, including the DLC main quests.
• Fall damage should go.
• I really enjoy Borderlands 2’s close up gun view because it lets people who know parts easily figure them out. It would be great if we were able to do the same thing in the 1st game.
• Having class mods show the number of skill points it increased, and the effects on the skill was a very welcomed edition to the 2nd game that seems like a minimal effort improvement.
• Grenades don’t show an accurate damage value like they do in the 2nd game.
• It would be nice to have the ability to reset your playthrough 2.5 once you finish the 2nd playthrough. It would obviously be even better if we also got overpower levels, but that might be too much effort.
• Auto collecting ammo and money when you walk over it. Maybe even a bit bigger of a diagonal and horizontal reach than the 2nd game and pre-sequel.
• Not being able to crawl in fight for your life is a hard thing to come back to if you’re used to it from the 2nd game.
• Many people seem to want a mini map like the one in Borderlands 2, however id like to point out it should be DYNAMICALLY TURNING like the one in Borderlands 2, unlike the default one in Battleborn.
• Many people also want fast travel stations in the DLC’s. I agree and also think the 2nd game’s ability to load you into an entrance that isn’t technically a fast travel is a bit overlooked. It would be above and beyond, yet completely awesome to make a clickable fast travel world map for all of the locations in the first game.
• 4 player splitscreen seems like a given, since it happened for the handsome collection. However, even though PC is usually a single player platform, there still is no reason not to include a splitscreen option for people who might have big monitors they could use for it. Also, being able to change the orientation of splitscreen, especially 2 player, would be a nice touch.
• One of the best additions to the Borderlands 2 was a swap stash, so it only makes sense it would be just as useful in the first game. This would also make splitscreen on PC less of a priority.
• Field of view slider for both consoles and PC.
• Everybody at this point wants a buy all ammo button for borderlands 3, but it would do wonders for the first game considering you have to confirm EVERY. PURCHASE. If that wouldn’t be feasible, at least get rid of the confirmation.
• I feel like the third game should have a mechanic that allows virtually infinite backpack and storage space to compliment the near infinite combinations of guns. The amount of space you get in Borderlands 2 and the Pre-sequel was disappointing. I think it would be fun (for me at least) to not only guarantee the backpack SDU’s you could only have a chance of getting before, but making it so every broken claptrap in both playthroughs, including the DLC’s (and maybe even the 1st one?) will always give you an SDU, even after completing playthrough 2.5.
I really feel like i’m not alone when I say that most would prefer gearbox to focus on these kinds of fixes and improvements, rather than patching guns, mechanics, and skills to “balance” them. I would rather gearbox never touch the first borderlands again if they felt like they would also have to add “gimmicks”, or “balance over powered characters”, even though PvP has never been a major part of borderlands. So please gearbox, show us you can re-visit a game that we all love in a positive way, and change things everyone can agree were worth changing. If a remaster and patch do come out, things changing for the worst could dissuade many people, including me from buying the 3rd installment. Post improvements you think would be good for everyone who plays Borderlands 1.
If my posts in this thread are a bit too long winded, here is an abridged list i made that i also update