Possible for turrets to not be weapons?

Hello there,

Is it possible to make a turret that does something other that fire a projectile? Such as giving a turret a healing beam (like the HW1 support frigs do), or a turret that only targets incoming missiles?

Give the turret a weapon that can only target munitions. Just make sure the ship it is on has the minelaying ability.

I never knew that was necessary to have the minelaying ability, then I suppose that the Taiidan defense fighter doesn’t need it because it uses scripts to select its targets?

The Taiidan Defense Fighter has indeed a custom code that pretty much turns it into an Aegis, targeting in priority all incoming missiles that are threatening allied ships. However, for normal weapons to be able to target munitions without any further scripting, the Minelaying ability is required. No need for actual mine weapons, though, just the ability. Afterwards, it’s a matter of giving priority to targets and stuff as you cannot directly right-click on a missile or mine. If, on the other hand, you make a weapon that can only hit munitions and nothing else, then put it on a turret subsystem, then you just got an antimissile turret for your ship.

That explains why I saw so much ships in many mods with minelaying abilities that in the end did nothing.

Wow, thanks Rufus! How about a repair beam turret, would that be possible?

1 Like

No idea, I never tried that one. What you could do is a repair field, however, creating an area where self-repair for nearby friendly ships is boosted by a multiplier of your choice.

[quote=“RufusShinraSB, post:2, topic:1192144, full:true”]
Give the turret a weapon that can only target munitions. Just make sure the ship it is on has the minelaying ability.
[/quote] (emphasis in above quote, mine). I can confirm for a fact that this is no longer required by HWRM.

2 Likes

Oh? Good to know.