Post-apocalyptic fiction - favourites and thoughts

Morning all. Been thinking about post-apocalyptic fiction quite a bit recently. There’s some great egs in books and films but I think video games are particularly innovative in this area. I suppose Borderlands has a post-apocalyptic tilt to it, but heavy hitters like Fallout and Metro really take the genre forward.

I’m interested if anyone else loves these scenarios (in any fiction) and if you reckon there are particular environments/stories that you guys felt worked really well. What kind of experience do you have as a player/reader/audience?

I’m currently playing Fallout and really intrigued by how there’s this fascinating disjuncture between pre-apocalypse advertisements and power systems, set alongside dystopian ruins and dangers… it’s quite creepy actually.

2 Likes

Of course.

Games experience: Mainly Fallout 1/2/3/New Vegas. Your explanation of why they’re creepy is on the mark. I played Fallout 3 a little while after visiting Washington, so walking the Capital Wasteland, especially The Mall and the Museum of Technology (read Smithsonian Air and Space) had a quite surreal quality.

Another wonderful point is the combination of 50s Raygun Gothic (or Atompunk if you want) Design and the use of… well, actual ray guns. And yes, it worked really well.

For further games, I guess @MidnightNova can comment on Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Books:
Oh dear, does it have to be post-nuclear apocalypse?

Stephen King’s The Stand (recently brought to memory by @Jefe s bout of Captain Trips) has everything one could want from a post-apocalyptic setting.

Recently read The Girl With All The Gifts which is post zombie alpacalypse, but has that glimmer of hope for the protagonists…

K.S. Merbeth’s Bite has a classical wasteland setting that worked quite well, but is a little campier than the other examples.

Cormac McCarthy’s The Road is another famous one, but one has to like McCarthy’s writing style…

And for full-on camp:

It is entertaining, actually :wink:

More later…

1 Like

Easily one of my top 3 game series.

Something something 1950s? Culture, but 2070s tech. Then China nuked the living hell out of us

Only read the books if they got a proper translation, my copy of 2033 is close to a blind idiot translation.

The original 2033 game is utter jank, but it is a much better experience than its remake in my opinion. The remake uses mechanics from Last Light, which makes little to no sense in context. Last Light is a great game despite things being simplified a bit, Exodus I never bothered with because it retconned 2 entire games.

This one doesn’t really fit the criteria of being post apocalypse, mainly because the Zone is an area around Chernobyl. However, it is implied that the Zone will keep expanding. So I suppose this could be up for debate.
Shadow of Chernobyl is easily one of my all time favorite games, but I cant deny how buggy it is, even with fanpatches. Clear Sky, well… it’s unplayable without the fanpatches and its writing leaves alot to be desired (down to creating plotholes in SoC due to it being a prequel). Call of Pripyat is the second best in the series, and also the most stable out of the box, and also the easiest to recommend.

Also, I suppose I don’t need to mention how much I love Fallout New Vegas here.

2 Likes

Might be pushing the definition, but i could make enough arguments to say the dark souls series is post-apocalyptic, just not in the traditional sense.

With lore so complicated, it might take someone with a PhD to understand it

2 Likes

Parts of Wells’ Time Machine do qualify, even though his future setting is far after the apocalypse. But underground mutants keeping surface-dwellers for food sure gave younger me a chill.

Also A Boy and his Dog is worth mentioning.

Aaaand since I seem to dragging this into the reading territory I shall shut up now.

1 Like

On The Beach by Neville Shute might be a good read. It is set during a total wipe out of humanity, and it is focussed on how several individuals deal with it.

1 Like