Post Winter Update Woes

I am genuinely curious about this subject. A lot of people have bought Battleborn and with the vast majority after a month or so either only playing it sporadically or hardly at all. A lot seemed to come back for this latest Winter update which packed in quite a bit of functionality yet most stayed for a few days and now it has been two weeks and it is almost back to the low levels it was at before the update. So much hard work was done by Gearbox to improve the game, what caused you to rush to check it out only to leave so quickly after? What should they have done to keep your interest?

3 Likes

I’m not new to the game, but have played with lots of new players. The Algorithm is too difficult and getting mobbed and killed immediately is awful. I can’t tell you how often I’ve started this run with a five-man team and finished it alone. Nobody wants to play a game when they feel like they don’t even have a chance.

There were a few things that tampered down my enthusiasm.

The serious and game-breaking - continued red bar connections. The game is beautifully smooth frame-rate wise, but it’s as hellish as ever for Australian players.

The personal preference - I lost my favorite game mode, Meltdown. It’s hard not to feel like the game has been downgraded, despite all the improvements, when the core gameplay I loved is gone.

The selfish - my girl got nerfed on the very morning the patch went live. All my energies were redirected from fresh-faced patch enthusiasm into making frantic forum posts and trying to find viable ways to play her.

The trivial - I don’t like the level 20 Mellka title!

I’m still playing, but from a purely personal POV, it wasn’t the renaissance I hoped for.

8 Likes

…Really wish the Gearbox team focused on this.
I know many players who quit the game because of failing the Ronin and Henchmen battle.
Algorithm can’t be done as the first map as intended by a new player.

5 Likes

This is not true at all, at least not on PS4. The amount of returning and new players i have seen is, while probably not enough to revive the game, MUCH higher than before the update; the population has not dropped back down to the levels it was at pre-update at all. At most, it takes my group roughly two minutes to find a match, with most queue times being under one minute. It was between two and four mimutes pre-update. It is also somewhat rarer for us to run into the same players match after match, which is the best part.

1 Like

I have no clue how the situation is on PS4 & PC, but on XB1 the WinterUpdate had a huge impact in my opinion. I see loads of new players everyday in Bot Battles & Story-missions, often 2-player teams with CR0-10 and CR20-30.
Seems many people got their friends to buy the game and I got solo-queued with many of them again and again over the last weeks and saw them grow.

Also I got more friend-requests since the Update than in all the time before, all from new players.
(If any of you read this: I´m shy and a bad teacher, but thanks alot for the invites :heart:)

Though @RayLightning mentioned Draft-mode is rather unfrequented and MM takes long for it.

3 Likes

(Note to self, don’t reason with kids)

1 Like

I expect the consoles to be sheltered a lot from the drop off as seen by the PC users however I can’t imagine PC users only are deciding not to stick around. Maybe the effects are not noticed on XB1 and PS4 till a bit later. Anyhoo I see on the PC at least the users are not sticking around and that was a cause for concern. The Winter update managed to get people interested again but somehow the feature changes were not enough for them to say and revive the game. What is missing that would make this game great?

1 Like

Personally I´d like more interesting/complex/rewarding Daily Quests and more main-quests. Perhaps a monthly set of main-quests, so we get new ones every 4 weeks.
I´d like more character- & faction-related challanges with other rewards than titles or CR-EXP. Titles are cool, but we´ve already tons of them.

Here some ideas I had:

• additional voicelines & callouts for Char-lv.20. (They removed many lines from the game, maybe there are enough unreleased lines for something like this.

• a faction-themed pedestal for 150/200/500 games as a character from Faction A

• Additional lore-pages, bound to new challenge-sets, such as:

• Faction Lore-pages: character-independent lore as deep-dive into the history & state of the 5 factions.

• "The Codex-lore pages, aka “Almanach of Codex”: facts & annecdotes mined from Codex. Info about the Battleborns homeworlds, pre-war empires (Aztanti, Aelfrin…)exstinct species, history of the Varelsi-war, ect.

For me lore is a huge pull-factor, no idea though how many people share this view^^

3 Likes

Agreed, and i wish they’d add more; the tidbits that we get every battleplan are awesome and all, but another big update where more lore challenges were added for each character would be simply AMAZING.

3 Likes

The Battleplan-lore is one of the greatest things in the Battleplans, but I always think of all the players who do not visit our forums or read the Battleplans.
It would be awesome to implement these lore-parts in the game on aditional lore-pages.
(Just a bit tricky since the current command menu structure has no own place for lore… would need quiet an overhaul on the structure)

4 Likes

More is always welcome as long as players who don’t want to play PVP can complete quests/challenges.

1 Like

More PvE-focus in quests would be great indeed.

The coolest thing would be to be able to choose between mode-specific quest-sets. Something like:

• Quests classic (both types wildly mixed+ general quests as “Collect X shards”)

• PvP-quests+general only

• PvE-quests+general only

If quests would refesh weekly the game could ask you which quests you want as soon you log in at the start of a new week.
So each week you could change the quest-sets if wanted.

4 Likes

That is hilarious, as i was just thinking about how i should have included this in my post. I’d say the easiest way is to just make bot battles a permanent addition, as it seems to be extremely popular among the PVE-oriented crowd. Of course, a rework of the lore challenge system to include PVP and PVE alternatives for all challenges would be awesome, if at all possible. As @Ganjamira said, a rework of the lore system would be quite the overhaul. Still… I never expected the 60fps thing to go over so smoothly either, and that was probably a WAY bigger undertaking. I’m interested to see what route the devs take in the future, and definitely hope that “moar loar” is a priority. It’s a huge part of what makes Battleborn so awesome and enjoyable, in my opinion.

3 Likes

I’d assume the Winter Update didn’t really appeal to the PvP growd. Especially anyone who liked Meltdown.

I honestly believe the revival and drop off on pc to be the amd crowd. they still cant play the game. :frowning:

2 Likes

algorithm is a beast of a first map. renegade should be the first map in my opinion.

2 Likes

in fairness nothing has changed for this timeslot on PC. thrusday at this time have always been quiet. even in the immediate aftermath of the winter update. I’d say the PC population has doubled its peak time player base.

1 Like

(Note to self, don’t reason with kids)

thats not the full quote.

You have to compare like for like. the game didnt get more popular on saturday just more people were available to play it compared to the friday. there literally isnt enough data to say how the winter update has affected playerbase just yet.