Problem applying english patch to Gundam seed mod (and some others)

Until the mods on Moddb are updated to work with the present version of HWRM, I’ve decided to play some of the mods for the classic versions.
Now one of them is giving problems: the Gundam Seed mod version 3.21. I downloaded the mod and the english patch file. I installed the mod in the folder: “F:\GOG\Homeworld Remastered\Homeworld2Classic”. I started it to see if it works. After removing the -overridebigfile from the link on my desktop it started with the starting menus in english but most other texts appear as $xxxx (xxxx being a series of numbers). I tried to
apply the english patch, doing exactly as the readme said: dropping the provided “Locale” file in my Data folder for Homeworld 2 and modifying the link to work with my computer. When I started the mod the looked exactly like before: menus in english, other texts as $something.
If anyone had the same or a similar problem and managed to solve it, please tell me how. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you are supposed to remove the -overrideBigFile switch?

No, but the mod wouldn’t start otherwise. The screen would just go black for a second and then crash back to the desktop. Also I read that “-mod” already implied “-overridebigfile”, so I’m not sure if it really is necessary.

What does your HW2.log file say, with and without the -overrideBigFile switch? Post the results here.

Ok.
With override:

Fri Jun 17 21:40:20 2016
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big’
Loaded Archive: 'English.big’
Loaded Archive: 'seedmod.big’
Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder
Cannot overwrite function waitForEnd
GAME – Using player profile Toff
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1
error executing GetAssumedLatestDll() in driverConfig.lua
error executing GetAssumedLatestDllVersion() in driverConfig.lua
error executing AdjustForBadDrivers() in driverConfig.lua
Using Intel’s 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2372 Intel® HD Graphics Family renderer (Suspected driver is 0)
Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big’
Loaded Archive: 'Music.big’
SOUND – created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
Build name:
Built by : builduser
Data path : F:\GOG\Homeworld Remastered\Homeworld2Classic\data
No mapping for font ‘GenericSubtitleFont’ - using 'default’

Without override:
Fri Jun 17 21:45:32 2016
Using Intel’s 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2372 Intel® HD Graphics Family renderer (Suspected driver is 0)
SOUND – created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
Build name:
Resetting fp control word.
CmdLine: -mod seedmod.big -luatrace

Those don’t tell me much. Do you have a URL for the mod you’re trying to play with?

If by URL for the mod you mean the site where I downloaded it from that’s:

What about the Gundam mod itself? Where can I find the most recent version? I haven’t been watching its development.

AFAIK the version on the direction I gave is the latest for HW2, before they switched it over to HWRM.

Here’s the log I get after adding -luatrace to the command line:

Fri Jun 17 17:41:47 2016
Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big' 
UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\SEEDMODLANG' 
Loaded Archive: 'SEEDMODLANG.big' 
Loaded Archive: 'seedmod.big' 
LOCALIZER -- Failed to load file LOCALE:resource.ucs due to overlapping range with LOCALE:ships.ucs 
Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder 
GAME -- Using player profile Username|SF 
Using NVIDIA Corporation's 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.06 GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 renderer (Suspected driver is  0) 
Loaded Archive: 'SEEDMODLANGSpeech.big' 
Loaded Archive: 'Music.big' 
SOUND -- created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created 
SOUND -- created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created 
SOUND -- created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created 
SOUND -- created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created 
Build name: 
Built by  : builduser 
Data path : E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data 
UTIL -- filepath failure, missing alias 'ו' 

The “missing alias” part may mean there’s a file encoding issue somewhere. I.e. someone converted a UTF-8 file to ANSI by mistake, and now the text characters are all messed up.

I also noticed that “keybindings.lua” looks like it has been compiled. But when I tried decompiling it with LuaDC I got an runtime error 52 about a bad filename or number.

I also tried running the game without the English patch, but had the same problems.

Also, at top is the “UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\SEEDMODLANG’” error. That might be an issue as well.

Sorry I can’t be of greater assistance.

Thanks for trying at least. Maybe somebody else can find a solution, that doesn’t involve anything too complicated since my knowledge in modding is rather limited.
Let’s hope they make a version for HWRM that get’s uploaded to Moddb and get’s translated.

I managed to get rid of the UTIL filepath failure, by copying the seedmodlang.big file into the locale folder of the patch.
Still seeing all those texts as $xxxx, but maybe it’s a step in the right direction.
HW2.log now looks like this:

Sat Jun 18 14:11:49 2016
Build name:
Resetting fp control word.
CmdLine: -mod seedmod.big -luatrace

I kind of found a solution, I’m just not sure how it will affect any other mods.
I made a back-up of the “English.big” file in the Data folder, deleted the original file and renamed the seedmonlang.big to English.big. It seems to work so far. I’ll keep posting if anything comes up.
Edit:
Just started some test skirmishes, and so far everything looks ok, except for “Earth Alliance” just being the Vaygr with a diferent name. But having two fleshed out factions is enough to enjoy some nice battles.

Just put seedmodlang.big in your data folder, and copy the EnglishSpeech.big and name the copied one as seedmodlangspeech.big, and then add
-locale seedmodlang
to your link. I think this should work.

I’ll try that, thx.

Nope, I tried it this way, but it didn’t change anything. Text still appears as $xxxx. So far the only way that works is as I wrote before, by switching out the English.big file.

Someone should maybe test it with the original version of HW2 released by Relic. Maybe the remastered version introduced some changes.

On the other hand, the June 10 update log mentions a change to how HW2C works: "- Homeworld 2 classic properly responds to -locale command line "

Have you fully updated HWRM recently?

Some days ago there was a patch (2.1.0.16) for HWRM avialable on GoG, that I downloaded and installed, hoping to get the mods running.
Edit: Ok, just to check this possibility I made a clean re-install of the game, patched and tried to apply the mod correctly. Still same problem.