Problem with low FPS (Windows 7)

Hello everyone,

So I have played over 200 hours of Borderlands 2 in the past and never complained about performance, in fact it was the opposite - I always thought the game was very well optimised.

Recently (after a few months) I decided to come back into this game and immediately noticed my frames per second were very bad. The game is much less playable than just a few months before. Depending on what’s happening on the screen I am getting as few as 15 FPS. The game lags the worst during battles. It should be noted that changing the graphics settings has little impact on performance - after I put absolutely everything on low I got 10 FPS more at most, so the framerate still dips below 30 FPS. I don’t have PhysX enabled. My PC specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD6850
RAM: 8 GB

I realize this PC isn’t a monster by today’s standards, still, it was able to run the game just fine when I played it before (and I had most of my settings maxed out). What’s more, my friend, who has a much better PC than me (i5-4690k, GTX 970) also noticed the game runs worse, he told me that even with PhysX off his game stutters and his frames drop to 40 per second.

Has anyone else noticed that his framerate got worse recently? Did someone manage to fix it? I found a few people complaining about the same thing on Google, no fix though. Any help would be appreciated.

Try to delete everything in this folder except savedata (if you want, make backup)
YOUR DISC:\Users\NAME\Documents\my games\borderlands 2\willowgame
Then start the game - settings will be set to default. If this will not help, try to verify integrity of game cache.
If you still have this issue, contact GBX support here:
https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new