PSA: Not every character has the same sprint modifier

According to comments from the devs, it is intended that every Battleborn has the same 30% sprint speed modifier. A comparison of Mellka and Caldarius shows that this cannot possibly be true.

Forgive my girlfriend (the Caldy) if she looks at all wonky in her movements, such as when she twice slightly nudges a wall. She doesn’t play much, and as you can see, the outcome is pretty cut-and-dry. :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: just to be crystal clear, the first race is without sprinting (running, I guess?), and the second is sprinting.

@Kitru @Vicks_Toire

5 Likes

Wow, you don’t waste time.
Seeing Caldarius zoom ahead of Mellka made me sad. Reminded me of when a walking Miko outran my Deande

2 Likes

If I don’t do things right away, I generally never get them done at all :wink:

1 Like

Battleborn testing: grab ya girl and form a suicide pact.

Not saying it doesn’t make sense for the guy in a stormtrooper mech with thrusters to run faster, but if the intention is the same modifier for everyone the mark was missed.

3 Likes

I should do it again with Monty instead of Caldy, just for the visual emphasis of how bizarrely slow Mell is.

Perhaps she’s rehearsing running in slow motion for the day she finally sees me, far across a beautiful field, and has to run toward me with her arms outstretched. Good theory? Best theory.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking it may be best to show someone like Orendi, where Mellka is faster then slower, unlike with Caldy where it’s faster and faster
(No more likes btw everyone so :heart:)

1 Like

Interesting. Would help explain why she feels sluggish. Would like to point out that the sprint modifier is actually 50%, at least according to this old post. I don’t recall any changes to sprinting since then besides bringing alani’s sprint in line with everyone else’s.

1 Like

Well, at least as Mell you can’t die as fast as the others from suicide, so that’s a plus :sweat_smile:

Duh not all the characters have he same speed modifiers. Some are always faster/slower than others. Who didn’t know this?

1 Like

The post is referring to sprint modifiers, not base speed. The devs claimed in the past that everyone got the same sprint modifier.

2 Likes

Wow can’t believe the devs actually claimed such statement. This was noticeable since the first day of BB released date.

1 Like

I still feel that must have been some kind of erroneous statement - surely they’ve played their own game. This isn’t even a subtle difference.

1 Like

Tell me about it. Why does Deande have to be so slooowww? :frowning:

2 Likes

Can the 30% sprint modifier be affected differently by the passive abilities of characters? Maybe if it’s a 30% for everyone but if caldi naturally has say 5% increased speed to his abilities wouldn’t his modifier inherently have 35% speed boost?

These are completely arbitrary numbers, just trying to get an understanding of the situation because the video looks like it’s working as the lore intends.

2 Likes

Well, it’d be 1.3 × 1.05, but I see what you’re saying. Why wouldn’t that be listed then?

We can’t have people thinking she’s the next Benedict haha (inside I weep)

1 Like

Just thinking out loud

2 Likes

Thanks @EdenSophia
I miss you crazy bunch of kids too

I never claimed any of this data was 100% infallible.
As a man of science I would gladly encourage any one to question my results and test this for themselves. I wanted to do the test for myself and thought others would appreciate it.
The testing method was very very simple and the variances for each of the 5 attempts were very small
like 0.1-0.2 seconds
Any run that deviated too greatly (+0.3) was thrown out.
The test was to get an idea of how different each character actually is
I think it shows

2 Likes

Shameless plug :grinning:

4 Likes

No need to say this, your data actually proves the point.

Caldarius Walk time: 7.8
Mellka Walk Time: 7.85
Essentially the same, there is a very small difference.

Caldarius sprint time: 5.25
Mellka sprint time: 6.1
Now we see a clear difference. According to these numbers, Caldarius sprints at roughly 150% base speed, while Mellka is closer to 130%.
If my math is somewhat correct, then Caldarius sprinting is 15% faster than a sprinting Mellka. Which is a noticable difference, just like the video showed.

2 Likes

WOW that spiltscreen layout is horrible, who thought that would be a good idea?

1 Like