Continuing the discussion from Torgue vs Shark and other Madness - My Fanarts:
As quoted and fortold, here pictures of my freshly crafted Borderlands Psycho mask!
@xmngr asked me for some help in building a psycho mask, so I added some info and pictures of the crafting progress - I hope it will help!
Here we go!!!
Here a closer picture so you can see how I sculpted the red sewn lines.
First I sculpted on the red lines with clay and cut a line in the middle. I continued to make holes, pair by pair. Then I rolled clay out to a thin thread, cut it into 1cm short pieces. Now the tricky part came: putting the ends of each 1cm-stick of clay into each pair of holes. This way it looks freaking real!
The mouth part is made from an old ventilator. I sew a hole into the base mask, built in the vent and smoothed all edges with epoxy putty. Adding about 5 hours of sanding.
The mask is completely handcrafted by me using mostly epoxy-putty and materials from scrap.
-Paintball plastic mask
-Epoxy clay (magic sculpt)
-old ventilator (7cm diameter)
-LEDs if you like
-an empty potato chips tray (paper, round tube) for the mouth/frame arround the vent.
I used a old skull paintball mask as base:
It took alot of work to convert it. So I saw a hole into it first to add the ventilator.
I added sketchy lines for orientation, to get the sculptob right.
After that I added stronger eyebrow details to give it the right form, also I completely reworked the nose. Then came sanding. And more sanding.
Next part was to add more clay at his cheeks and to start working in the ventilator.
When the mouth area was sanded and done I added the “red” lines and chin details. At this stage it was nearly ready to be painted.
Last sculpted details were the frames arround the eyes. The eyes I reworked and gave them blue UV-active plexiglass instead of black mesh.
Then I painted it basically in 6-8 layers white gesso to fill in all small ridges and uneven spots.
Painting the whole thing took me easily 20hours if all counted together. Here a picture with base white and started red lines. All other details are still missing:
After painting all cellshade details + pandorian dirt:
Its lifesized, sturdy and wearable! Sadly I´m to bad with electronics for now, but I hope next mask I built will have functional ventilation and lights^^
Hope you guys like it!
If theres any question how to built it on your own just drop a comment