So now that it’s possible to get Avatar + max melee damage from the skill trees, and stuff scales with mayhem, I gave melee Amara another try, and quickly got reminded that even though on paper, everything is there for it to be fun, in practice there’s a bunch of tiny frustrating things that hold it back:
- have to wait too long between successive action skill casts (rakk fl4k also dislikes this)
- Can’t cast action skill during slide
- finicky Blitz targeting. What I mean by this is that she doesn’t dash when it feels like she should. Aim slightly off to the side? Another enemy nearby? A pebble between you and target? No dash.
- Amara only dashes if the target is in range. Should work more like Zer0 or Athena.
- Dash itself is janky. I’ve seen all manner of ways for it to get messed up: going through an enemy, hitting an enemy but doing nothing, aforementioned pebble gets hit instead, playing the animation but Amara stays in place, to name the obvious ones
- Entering slide is not responsive enough. Yeah, you need to accelerate , I get it. The time between pressing sprint and being able to enter slide could be less though. My relic gives +50% melee damage for melee out of slide, and doing it is a damn hassle. I had no issue with this in Warframe. (A single enemy with a cryo weapon also ruins this)
- THE CAMERA LOCK ON PHASESLAM. Holy jesus, please find a way to get rid of this. Also one of the main reasons why Downfall feels terrible.
- Way too long recovery after groundslam. And annoying camera lock, again.
- CoV weapons get the equip delay after action skill cast. You can’t do anything during this, not even melee. CoV weapons should be great for the playstyle: no reload, big bayonet bonuses, but they’re mostly unusable because of this
- (no roid shield with long delay. Brawl tree even has a skill that reduces delay. I guess there’s random Rough Riders.)
- (melee hitbox could be a bit bigger)
- a clear indicator for when Blitz is up would be nice. A different colored icon at the bottom skill bar, something
Just the general snappiness of a melee/phaseslam build is lacking. Nuclear Throne this aint, unfortunately. It’s great when it works, but there’s too many technical stumbling blocks.