Questions about OP leveling and stuff

I have a Bearcat but it’s nothing like an average Bear! :thinking::smirk::astonished::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl:

5 Likes

I think @Jefe typo’d that remark. I’m guessing he meant, “Beer” :beer::beers: Cheers! :blush:

5 Likes

Is he from Wisconsin?
-edit- I know they mix Beer and Deer a lot!

4 Likes

The average beer won’t last too long around me

“You won’t last two minutes” — that’s me talking to the beer…doing my best nomad impersonation.

I usually run from the average bear, unless I have a pimpernel, and the bear isn’t OP8.

edit - but seriously that is real good to know that the Pimpernel will last a good number of Peak runs.
I’m guessing I should swap my Heartbreaker for something else as it would seem fire isn’t overly effective on the Peak. Maybe a Bad Touch or a Kitten?

5 Likes

Words to live by. lmao Not sure I could outrun a bear however.

Kitten isn’t a bad choice, I would recommend a Rubi, slag or corrosive. Rubi will give you your highest percentage of health back per damage given with the only exception being the Grog. You’ve already mentioned you aren’t carrying a Grog, so I would go Rubi, personally. I actually don’t entertain the Grog anymore. I can’t stand it taking up a backpack slot. so no grog for me. :wink:

5 Likes

Almost true. Here’s the brief synopsis from my elements thread :

The VERY short version : go corrosive and explosive.

4 Likes

First, congrats on trying the Peak- not everyone wants to endure the frustration of reaching OP8 both solo and in a legit manner. Second, just my observations from bringing all characters to OP8:

1- your build: a build meant for general mobbing may not fare as well on the Peak (meaning Bloodsplosion Krieg mainly). Once the nature of the spawns becomes familiar plan your build accordingly, particularly the boss spawns. There’s a respec station right before you step out to meet Tannis- use it if you feel something needs to be tweaked.

2- your gear: depending on what it is level 72 gear can easily last until you reach OP8. I don’t believe in doing resets of the game just to get on level quest gear, as such I’ve made a habit of looking for acceptable substitutes or devising other strategies for dealing with Peak enemies, particularly bosses. I can say that with the exception of Krieg everyone carried a Bee for certain bosses (namely Saturn). A The Transformer shield will save your bacon vs surveyor- I can’t recommend having one enough. A Slagga is always on hand, even with Ruin Maya or IO Gaige. Deuputy’s Badge, Sheriff’s Badge, Storm Front, Fastball, DPUH, Chain Lightning, elemental Bone of the Ancients, an Avenger (to regen ammo for the Slagga) and at least 1 legendary and 1 blue com of most use to my build were always carried.

3- your strategy: this is something that will depend on your character, build and skill level but in general Handsome Dad’s Peak Guide covers a lot of stuff. Some of my favorite tactics: draw the Scorch/es to the opening of the previous area, coat them in slag and douse them with every Storm Front you have, ditto for the Black Queens (and try to stand your ground against their spawns- it’s easier to deal with them in the bottleneck of the opening rather than letting them chase you all over the map). Fastball + GN vs SBA surveyors and the fire spiderants that burrow underground (making sure to slag them first of course). Same tactic vs slag critters as well (but don’t slag slag critters- I think it actually heals them). If you’re worried about ammo open all containers at once before collecting their contents- it increases the chances that you’ll get the largest amount of ammo that you have the least of (and an Infinity wouldn’t be a bad back up- heck, it was my primary weapon for my Krieg).

4- take your time: while you can run the Peak as a Time Trail most likely that’s a bit down the road so take your time, especially if you’re just recovering from FFL. Let the Avenger regen your SMG ammo, let the CL regen your grenades and if you have a com that has health regen (or a Blood of the Seraphs/Terramorphous)use it if your AS won’t regen your health when used. Good luck and have fun storming the Peak! :+1:

5 Likes

Only Rubi I have is level 55…But I guess for healing and slagging it may be effective. I’ll experiment with it and the kitten on my next run. I might have a lead on a level 72…but not sure.

I actually read that entire thread as it was linked in the thread previously post about elements.
I picked up a Ravager from the loot train the other day, maybe it’ll be a good explosive to use.

4 Likes

I’m still using my level 50 slag rubi. Hardcore baby! :sunglasses:
my pimp is still level 72. For Sal, there isn’t a need for onlevel gear if exploiting his mechanics. :wink:

Edit: let me add that still using the level 50 rubi in OP8 is severely difficult and if I miss a shot, I take a knee. So, the difficulty is ramped up a bit but, I’d rather get better than rely on the Grog.

6 Likes

Prepare to be disappointed unless you have OSOK boosted by a COM - even then, the Peak is a bad place to be playing to OSOK. Harold and Kerblaster are far better. Or even the Flakker.

4 Likes

Good stuff…
I will review my build as I progress through different OP levels.

In regards to #2 I have most of what you’ve listed and most already in my backpack. Have a couple of Avenger’s that I’ve never used.

Yes, I’ll definitely have to work on a strategy, I’m sure dying will be part of the process…

on #4 that’s not a problem. I’m in no hurry :wink:

5 Likes

:blush: You’ve got me on the blush, brother. I don’t think of myself as skilled. What I am is persistent and stubborn. As for the advice I give, most of it I am repeating from the posts of people I do consider skilled and have tolerated me asking stupid questions, the list is too long for a post but you’ve already heard from most everyone that would make it. I will say this though, I’ve gotten a lot of good tips from threads where other folks were asking for advice. I read every thread that the forum suggests to me, and have learned a lot from other people’s questions. The best tip I could give that I would take credit for is to cruise the character subsection dedicated to the toon you’re playing and read as much of it as you can. Derailments have taught me just as much as the original threads have.

7 Likes

Noted…I have a I do have a Flakker but will need to learn how to use it.

Edit–Kerblaster I can get form farming Midgemong, which I’ve not done before…I always love finding a new legendary farm.

Can probably rustle up a Kerblaster pretty quickly. I have a surplus of Torgue Tokens.

Of course I have a pile of Harolds. Haven’t used em in a while but I will if I need to.

4 Likes

:point_up: This. I’ve learned a lot from your (and others) questions @zer0blivion.

5 Likes

Is it friday already? :rofl:

6 Likes

Eh. It may not be Friday, but it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere. :smirk: :beers:

7 Likes

So I attempted another Peak run…and failed. I wouldn’t call it a complete failure as it went pretty good until near the end.
Rouf got me. This was right when I about to take him out. I had his health bar down far enough that a well placed headshot would have done the job. But he had lost his slag and I went to slag him again and he got me.
Now heres the dumb part. I tried to get outta FFYL with the Heartbreaker…no dice. It didn’t even seem to touch him. Of course I should have known better after all the reading I did yesterday. I didn’t even have the Heartbreaker equipped until I got to the Assassins. I had replaced it with an OP1 Bad Touch (one of my mules bought it for me) but decided to swap it out at the end. My reason? Well it’s what I had equipped when I completed the first run.
Any smart person would have switched to something else but I panicked and spammed him with an ineffective weapon. Oh well.
This got me to thinking. I know alot of folks use a Norfleet to get Second winds. I do not have a Norfleet, but I was thinking of either a Baddaboom or a Topnea (have corrosive, fire and slag). I’m guessing that the Baddaboom would be more effective? I hardly ever use a launcher. Should I forgo the launcher and use a DPUH for FFYL? What would be my best option (other than the obvious “Stay out of FFYL”).

Other than that, the rest of the run went pretty well. A Transformer really helped to keep the surveyors from wrecking my shield. A shock pimp proved very effective against spiderants. Corrosive for everything else.
I used the Bad Touch for most of the run, except the end, but I really didn’t use it much at all. I did run out of sniper at one point, but I was able to find more pretty quickly.

I will give it another go tonight hopefully with better results.

4 Likes

I don’t actually use a lot of launchers, but when I do they tend to be Topneaas. I do like the badaboom, but I use Topneaas a lot ever since I heard them referred to as “poor man’s norfleets” and I have yet to attempt spawning Vermivorous and I don’t raid often enough to consider farming her or Hyperious. And Topneaas, similar to Norfleets, don’t require a lot of aiming. So they’re a good choice for FFYL moments in my opinion. But then again, I usually try to get my second winds the hard way, fail, walk it off, and improve overall on the next run.

5 Likes

E-Tech launchers have a big splash AoE, and that’s what makes them so good as FFYL guns. You’re able to hit enemies that are behind cover. Topneas or PBFG’s are your best options. PBFG’s have the highest damage and Topneas have a higher firerate plus it has the Vladof gimmick that every… third, iirc, shot is free. It’s very ammo efficient, but has roughly half of the PBFG damage per shot. If it’s only used for FFYL, then I’d go for a PBFG. If you’re going to use it in normal fights, then the Topnea is probably your best option.

6 Likes

This is what I should do. I also hardly ever use Launchers, usually the Heartbreaker gets it done, but not on the Peak I guess. I bet the Pimp would have worked, I just panicked…

I may hit the train for one as I don’t have one.

Actually I will probably just try to improve overall as @paulothead said. But if I keep getting hung up I’ll resort to RL FFYLs. My situation last night definitely could have been solved with another weapon.

I wish the Assassins where the “same” as they are at Southpaw, I’ve killed Southpaw Rouf a number of times with the Heartbreaker, but more recently I’ve been headshotting him with the Muck or Callipeen.

On my way to the Assassins I did hit a couple Loaders with the Topnea, but I found that the corrosive pimp far more effective.

4 Likes