Quick Poll on Total Hours Played

Hey all,

Just curious to see out of whomever currently haunts these forums what your overall total hours played is for each of the various Borderlands franchise games (one poll per game). Please feel free to take the polls and/or respond below.

Borderlands 1

This is specific to the original Borderlands game, but includes any and all versions of it as well as last year’s GOTY Enhanced. It also would represent a total number of hours played across all platforms combined.

Total Borderlands Hours Played
  • Never Played
  • 1 - 30 Hours
  • 31 - 50 Hours
  • 51 - 100 Hours
  • 101 - 500 Hours
  • 501 - 1,000 Hours
  • 1,001 - 1,500 Hours
  • 1,501 - 2,000 Hours
  • 2,001 - 2,500 Hours
  • 2,501 - 3,000 Hours
  • 3,001 + Hours

0 voters

Borderlands 2

Like the poll for the original Borderlands above, this includes total hours played on all versions, including the Handsome Collection, as well as across all platforms.

Total Borderlands 2 Hours Played
  • Never Played
  • 1 - 30 Hours
  • 31 - 50 Hours
  • 51 - 100 Hours
  • 101 - 500 Hours
  • 501 - 1,000 Hours
  • 1,001 - 1,500 Hours
  • 1,501 - 2,000 Hours
  • 2,001 - 2,500 Hours
  • 2,501 - 3,000 Hours
  • 3,001 + Hours

0 voters

Borderlands, The Pre-Sequel

Same as Borderlands 2 above.

Total Borderlands, The Pre-Sequel Hours Played
  • Never Played
  • 1 - 30 Hours
  • 31 - 50 Hours
  • 51 - 100 Hours
  • 101 - 500 Hours
  • 501 - 1,000 Hours
  • 1,001 - 1,500 Hours
  • 1,501 - 2,000 Hours
  • 2,001 - 2,500 Hours
  • 2,501 - 3,000 Hours
  • 3,001 + Hours

0 voters

Borderlands 3

Like the other polls, total hours played on any and all versions, across all platforms.

Total Borderlands 3 Hours Played
  • Never Played
  • 1 - 30 Hours
  • 31 - 50 Hours
  • 51 - 100 Hours
  • 101 - 500 Hours
  • 501 - 1,000 Hours
  • 1,001 - 1,500 Hours
  • 1,501 - 2,000 Hours
  • 2,001 - 2,500 Hours
  • 2,501 - 3,000 Hours
  • 3,001 + Hours

0 voters

Tales From The Borderlands

Pretty much the same as above, looking for a total number of hours played across all versions and platforms.

Total Tales From The Borderlands Hours Played
  • Never Played
  • 1 - 30 Hours
  • 31 - 50 Hours
  • 51 - 100 Hours
  • 101 - 500 Hours
  • 501 - 1,000 Hours
  • 1,001 - 1,500 Hours
  • 1,501 - 2,000 Hours
  • 2,001 - 2,500 Hours
  • 2,501 - 3,000 Hours
  • 3,001 + Hours

0 voters

There is no specific goal for this set of polls other than to see what turns up and if it sparks any discussions or otherwise acts as an anecdotal reference for other threads. Thanks again to all who participate.

Edit: Clarified language of first to poll to indicate it is for the original Borderlands game only, not the whole franchise. Apologies for any confusion.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, the first poll is for the original Borderlands game only (i.e. “Borderlands 1”).

I don’t know the exact amount of time I’ve played any Borderlands game aside from BL3 since they were all on Xbox 360, but I can confidently say it was over 2000 hours for all of them because Borderlands games were literally the only games my brother and I would play for months if not years on end (we didn’t get new games often). We also spent summer breaks gaming all day, so yeah.

I know for a fact BL3 is at 600 hours for me. While there are gameplay reasons, most of it is just that my brother lost interest in BL3 very quickly after launch so this has been my first completely solo borderlands experience which has had some pitfalls. I don’t feel like playing through the story because doing it solo is a pain (so boring and annoying). I don’t feel like investing in more than one character or build because I hate farming and only do it when my brother does. I REALLY want to play a pet build in BL3 so I feel like I have a coop partner, but FL4K’s pets are dumb as rocks and as mentioned I don’t want to invest in another character. So I typically only play for short intense spurts every few months.

8 Likes

I feel ya in terms of platform. I started with Borderlands on my X-Box 360 and put in over 300 hours before getting tired of it. The game was fun, but a pain for me to play with a console controller. Then later I got Steam on my PC and when Borderlands showed up there I started playing again for another 300+ hours (much easier to track hours as well as to actually play) until I finally picked up BL2. But then last year I picked up the enhanced GOTY version and managed to play for another dozen or so hours for a total of over 600 hours. Everything else for me has been on a PC through Steam.

1 Like

I have more hours than I can count on BL 1 and 2 and now 3. The only ones which I have little count are: Presequel because I was not really into it so I only did a few campaigns, Tales is a narrative game so the re playability was more limited but relative to its possibility I did it extensively.

I just noticed that. I thought it was for the franchise as a whole. Oh well

@boombumr I did the same thing. I feel like the OP should say “Borderlands 1” for the first poll, to make it more clear. You can change your poll vote if you want.

I left BL2 on 360 and came back to it at some point a couple years later in about 2015 or 2016 on Xbone. I have probably more hours in BL2 still than BL3, but I have not left BL3 yet for more than 4-6 weeks at a time, and I am not sure I will. I think BL3 is a better game than BL2. For me, it’s not as difficult as BL2 and that takes away the shine, but the QOL and variety (and the fact that BL3 is still “developing”) makes BL3 more interesting to me.

I thought 3,001+ hours for the first Borderlands game seemed a little excessive for even the most die-hard franchise fan. But I included it as a choice in the poll to maintain apples-to-apples comparisons across all the games. When I saw that someone actually chose it I realized that I may not have been clear on the scope of the first poll. You should (I presume) still be able to go back and change it to a lower range.

LOL, yeah working on that now… Sorry for any confusion.

2 Likes

That explains. I was confused that people were selecting that, given I only knew a handful of people from the old forums who played that much.

Anyways good poll, there’s quite a bit of granularity for me among the games other than BL1 in that three of them occur within the 100-500 range, but two are at the low end (tales (due to bugs) and BL3) and one at the high end (TPS) of it. In the interest of fairness I suppose, BL3 still got a significant amount of play from me compared to other games.

1 Like

It’s still not that far off, probably in the 2000-2500 range at worst. I’m not kidding, I probably played BL1 for at least 6 hours a day if not more from May 2009 to the time BL2 came out and going back to it occasionally afterwards.

3 Likes

I never even tried BL1…

Can someone tell me how good 1 is compared to other games in the franchise?

:joy: :rofl:There’s always Iron Cub Moze…at least IC has impact and kills things

Over 1800 hours over 12 characters on bl3 alone. Bl2 was way more. Maybe 500 hours on bl1. I started playing 1 about a year before 2 came out. The navigation was pitiful trying to read your maps on there. Otherwise a great game.

It’s aged a bit but it’s still a good Borderlands game. I’ve grown to appreciate it even more over the years, it even does certain things way better than the sequels. Also, the General Knoxx Farmory is a legendary experience. :wink:

I’d recommend the original version if you can pick it up. The remastered version adds some great stuff, but it skews loot progression and removes some hybrids.

4 Likes

@WxndaBread Are you serious? BL1 is really excellent, you should play it. You can see the foundations for the whole series there. Also the weapons parts system is amazing and diverse. I have played BL1 hundreds and hundreds of hours and still have zero understanding of how the parts system works.

Also has some of the very best music in the franchise. BL1 is great. It’s below the other 3 games in the series IMO, but still a totally amazing game. There are plenty here on these forums who would say BL1 has the best weapon system of all the games.

I’d stick with Lilith if you want a first playthrough and just want to enjoy the game and have fun. She is the most powerful and diverse character by far in BL1, IMO.

7 Likes

I still remember the skag gully theme and I haven’t booted up BL1 since July or August of 2019.

5 Likes

Oops, accidentally voted 501 - 1,000 on BL1 (it’s super late and I’m super-tired, I thought it was for BL3). It’s actually about 100 hours across the original GOTY and the Remastered GOTY.

Voted 501 - 1,000 on BL2, but am literally at about 501 hours there. Meanwhile I’m still 501 - 1,000 for BL3, but nicely over 700 now (which is a lot for me to spend on any video game regardless of how good it is).

The Fyrestone theme you are talking about and the Knoxx’s Armory theme literally both give me the chills sometimes. I’d say that’s effective music design. LOL

I can still remember the first time I played through BL1 with a friend co-op. Good times.

3 Likes

Since a lot of people have been telling you it’s pretty good/great, let me tell you my opinion from someone who thinks otherwise. People can chim in and disagree with what I’m about to say, that’s perfectly fine, but I think at this point in time, the game is just decent at best, it holds the bottom spot alongside Presequel IMO. TL;DR if you don’t want to read the wall of text is temper your expectations, a lot of people fail to include the faults of BL1 and it’s remaster version.

First of all, the story is very minimalistic. I won’t go into details because being spoiled sucks, but the plot really has no pull over the course of the entire game, this isn’t something that you play for the story. You are here on Pandora to open the Vault and kill everyone who stands in your way and once you do that the game ends, that’s it.

The quests are typical MMO fetch quest, they’re really boring stuff. Go here kill boss, kill X psychos, collect Z parts of something, find Y loot in the area and come back to the quest dispenser or hub area for a reward. There is no charm, intention or motivation behind doing them, they’re there to artificially increase game length because if you don’t do them you are going to be way below the required level for main story bosses (and you can still be for certain ones in the early game). With a (very few) exceptions, they’re completely unremarkable.

Characters are very one dimensional and they don’t stand out that much until the following games where they try to give them some sort of nuance, they’re there to give you quest and that’s about it really. They (kinda) try a little bit more with the DLCs (General Knoxx in particular), but it’s not until BL2 where they start to get some sort of development.

Talking about the DLCs…they are not that good with the exception of Knoxx, which has all the endgame farming with the Armory and the (only) raid boss in the entire game. They’re pretty short (Ned Zombie Island takes an hour to do, Claptrap Revolution maybe a little more) and you can tell they reused assets for a lot of them (Claptrap’s DLC you can exactly point out when Gearbox ran out of money). There is no point talking about Moxxi’s DLC, is a waste of time, is hands down one of the worst pieces of content in the franchise, up there with the Holodome and Hammerlock’s Hunt from BL2.

The playable characters are probably the worst in the series, even though they are not particularly THAT bad. Roland is a decent support character, but for offensive purposes his action skill is really bad. Lilith’s action skill (in the beginning) is terrible besides speedrunning and doesn’t do anything, but once you get those bonuses going she breaks the game in half, she is the Salvador/Moze of this game. Brick is alright, way worse melee character than Krieg or Zer0 in terms of endgame, but also way more fun to play and durable at the beginning of the game (you probably wanna switch to launchers by the end, melee with him is very clunky). Mordecai is pretty rad and has a couple of builds you can use for him (sniper, pistols, melee), but Rakk/Fade FL4K is a hundred times more fun than him, so he kinda feels obsolete in that regard.

In terms of the good (since I’ve been shitting on the game for a while), the atmosphere of the game and the dry humor in BL1 is better than the cringe meme moments in BL2 or the toilet humor of BL3, the lack of dialog trying to interrupt your playthroughs and characters is pretty good and makes your gaming sections flow seemlessly if you know what you’re doing (you will notice the lack of content the game has even with the amounts of filler they throw at you though) and some of the music tracks are pretty good, although not nearly as good BL2/TPS and certainly nowhere near close to BL3.

It was a pretty great game for it’s time, but it’s showing it’s age right now, it has a lot of downsides and weaknesses, but also some good points that still does better than it’s sequels.

4 Likes