Quotes - Any And All

Referring to Anglo Saxon archaeology: “It’s the thinking man’s Dungeons and Dragons”
 – Tony Robbins, Time Team Season 17 episode 5

4 Likes

5 Likes

Reviving that which is traditional, I quote myself. Mainly because I think I done wrote good here.

4 Likes

4 Likes

All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

— Blaise Pascal

3 Likes

This had felt strange, I remembered, to be there among you working people—you weary, bow-backed working people, your fingers working your phones as if they were rosary beads : You whom I once had been.

— Vauhini Vara from I, Buffalo

Great image, right? “Weary, bow-backed…working phones like rosary beads”. Think of that the next time you’re taking mass transit.

You were like trees to one another, or pylons in an obstacle course.

5 Likes

3 Likes

President Nixon: How many did we kill in Laos?

National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger: In the Laotian thing, we killed about ten, fifteen [thousand] …

Nixon: See, the attack in the North [Vietnam] that we have in mind … power plants, whatever’s left – POL [petroleum], the docks … And, I still think we ought to take the dikes out now. Will that drown people?

Kissinger: About two hundred thousand people.

Nixon: No, no, no … I’d rather use the nuclear bomb. Have you got that, Henry?

Kissinger: That, I think, would just be too much.

Nixon: The nuclear bomb, does that bother you? … I just want you to think
big, Henry, for Christsakes.

White House tape recordings, April 25, 1972

Nixon: The only place where you and I disagree is with regard to the bombing. You’re so goddamned concerned about civilians, and I don’t give a damn . I don’t care.

Kissinger: I’m concerned about the civilians because I don’t want the world to be mobilized against you as a butcher.

5 Likes

“How many boards could the mongols hoard if the mongol hordes got bored?” - Calvin and Hobbes

4 Likes

Science, bitch!

-The Church of the Shattered immorality.

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

There used to be a time when the idea of heroes was important. People grew up sharing those myths and legends and ideals. Now they grow up sharing McDonalds and Disneyland

— Bob Dylan

McDonald’s is the ultimate symbol of passive conformity

— John Ralston Saul

This morning going into work I once again had the misfortune to witness the lineups at the McD’s drive-through and once again wept for humanity. Funny about the tv quote since I bundled it and McD’s into the trash aspect of humanity. I honestly can’t think of anything more pathetic than McD drive-through. Sorry not sorry if I offend.

4 Likes

Unfortunately such quotes assume a baseline understanding or existing shared presuppositions. Would you be willing to clarify why McD’s drive through has the topped ranked spot in your list of all things pathetic? There’s certainly aspects of consumerism and poor nutrition, but whether those are what you’re basing the analysis on isn’t clear.

Their food may be terrible, but I’m told their coffee is actually pretty good these days. Meanwhile, Tim’s coffee seems to be a but on the poor side. I heard a claim that McDonalds and Tim Hortons had basically swapped coffee suppliers, which would explain some of that.

I think that an overlong line at the McDonald’s drive-thru is sad, but mostly because it signifies an emphasis of time=money that has driven people to be less involved in what they eat, and also less mindful. People that eat that every day, and likely have sedentary jobs, are sacrificing their taste and health for convenience.

I do enjoy McDonald’s occasionally, call fast food a guilty pleasure of mine, but for many it has become a staple, and that can be detrimental to their health. To make a decision like that, to choose convenience (and possibly cost) over health and quality, is sad.

Also, McDonald’s coffee is actually pretty good. Not great, but I’ll take it over Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts anyday.