Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk

Okay, ive been dealing with this problem for over a week and its killing me. All of my other games launch and run well. But to sum it up i can hit play on steam and it’ll pull up the launcher where u can change settings etc. but when i actually launch BL2 from that is when the problem occurs. Don’t even get to the title screen the game crashes and i get “Program has stopped working”. Then windows gives me a message…

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

RaiseException() Address = 0x77bfaa12 (filename not found) [in C:Windows/System32\KERNELBASE.dll]

I’ve tried almost everything the internet has recommended and it hasn’t fixed this. I’ve deleted/redownloaded the game. I have updated all drivers. Ive cleared space both my drives, defragged, customized the virtual memory for my drives via (Control Panel > System and Security > System) from there then click Advanced System Settings, Advanced, then under Performance click “Settings…”, Advanced, then under Virtual Memory clicked change, it is currently set to 8000 MB for Initial and 12000 MB for Maximum.

I have an RX 480 8gb, I have a AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor, and i also have 16 gb of ddr4 ram.

If you can help me in anyway it’d be much appreciated.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums !

Usually you want your paging file size to be 1.5 times your RAM. I see you have 16 GB of RAM, so try to increase it to 24000 MB and it should be okay.

To do so, go back to the Virtual Memory settings, uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”, make sure to select your preferred hard drive (I recommend selecting the one where your OS is installed), check “Custom size” and set both the Initial size and Maximum size to 24000 MB, and then click “Set”. Then click “OK” and you’re done.

Feel free to tell me if that worked or not ! :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! But i tried what u said, restarted my pc then tried launching BL2 and it still gave me the same error

1 Like

Since you’re using an AMD GPU there is also one other thing you could try : disable Anti-Aliasing and start the game. If it works, you can re-enable it through the AMD Control Center. This fix worked on people with a very similar issue but on another game, here’s hoping it works for you !

Okay im gonna give it a try, i’ll let you know! thank you again

1 Like

Yeah, No luck there either :frowning_face:

1 Like

Aw, crap … There’s maybe one final thing you could try. What resolution do you play on ?

1 Like

1920x1080

1 Like

Hmm, weird. I would’ve told you to tune it down if you were playing in 1440p or 4K but you shouldn’t have any issue with 1080p …
Do you play with the UHD Texture Pack installed ? If so you could try and launch it without that on. You could also try and play on the lowest settings possible and see if you still get that issue.

1 Like

Yeah this is really weird idk what it could be, just tried it and still no luck

1 Like

Yeah, especially when you’re saying you have no issue with other games …
You didn’t mention if you verified the game’s cache, you could try doing that if you didn’t. And if that still doesn’t work then the only thing left you can try is using System Restore or repairing/reinstalling Windows altogether.
And if all that didn’t work, well I’m afraid I can’t help you anymore. Sorry pal … :confused:

1 Like

When i Verify Integrity of the files it completes, says “1 file failed to vaildate and will be reacquired” then i click close and try to launch the game and still nothing ugh…

1 Like

You could maaaaybe try to launch the game from the executable file in the Borderlands 2 game folder …? I’m starting to run out of ideas mate. :joy: