Random Talk Thread, MK. IV

You mean just before the Vault Doors closed? :thinking:

Bleak, but hard to contradict.

Paulo’s a yeti and may the superior bread win!

5 Likes

Sounds like an overly chauvinistic parfum for men, but okay.

Halfway at least, and I don’t want to mislead anyone.

I suppose it’s my fault for not updating everyone again, so let me correct that.

Update: It’s not what I was hoping for. It’s dense and moist, but the flavor is sweeter (but by no stretch would you call it sweet) than I was hoping for. Bittersweet anecdote follows.

Every year for the holidays, mom would buy what she called a “deli cornbread” from a local bakery. It had the color of a rye bread, but a faint hint of sweet and tart painted over what you would get if you crossed a loaf of bread with a pound cake. I was going to buy a loaf this year so her ghost could smile while her grandchildren nibbled at it, but the bakery was a victim of the Covie. Being the kitchen minded yeti I am, I began googling “yeast risen cornbread” so I could try to make it myself. I found a recipe for broa, which looked like it could have the desired characteristics, so yesterday I tried it to see if it would be what I remembered. It was not. So the search continues.

So while the loaf was successful, it didn’t become what I had hoped. It was a “winner” insofar as it was what it should be, but just missed the mark of what I was hoping for.

5 Likes

That was kind of a downer, huh? Here, have something I laughed the whole way through.

4 Likes

Well this last shift before my vacation certainly seems primed to slowly eek away my sanity.

How’s everyone else hanging tough tonight?

1 Like

Slept right through it after watching the first 4-5 episodes of Deep Space 9.

Which, coincidentally, included in episode about a virus run-amuck that was highly contagious and required quarantining the entire station. It started out in the food then went airborne, but not a single mask was in sight. Really, Star Fleet? No N95 masks for anyone? Tut-tut.

4 Likes

So, finally decided it was time to check in on the 3080 since the sales are coming up, and I haven’t built a new PC in well over half a decade. It’s out of stock. In every version NewEgg lists. I considered trying to look elsewhere, but I doubt you’ll get deals on a card that hard to get at all.

1 Like

There was a review of the most recent cards from both nVidia and AMD. The conclusion was pretty much ‘given scarcity, it’s not worth arguing over stats if you’re in the market for one - just take what you can get’.

The times we live in…

2 Likes

I’ve waited this long, I suspect I’ll make it through another few months till they get their supply issues sorted. I admit to disappointment though, failing to account for this years after the crypto surge is ridiculous.

1 Like

Is it the demand, or is it delayed/slowed manufacturing due to pandemic issues?

1 Like

Given they lasted… I believe it was less than fifteen minutes in stock at launch a few months ago, it was demand. They just grossly failed to account for the number they’d need. Don’t get me wrong, there may be some involvement of the pandemic, but given the kind of timeline they had to plan for over this, it would’ve likely mostly been in terms of trying to handle it afterwards.

Or to put it another way, their recent sales call mentioned that while there were agility problems with their chains, they largely considered themselves in a good position. They just don’t seem to care that much about having enough cards, because they don’t want to spend the money necessary for that much manufacturing given the extreme cost and timelines for setting up such things.

1 Like

I do wonder if demand wasn’t boosted by the number of folks on furlough or needing beefier machines at home for graphic intensive WFH.

Kind of academic at this point, though - if they’re not in stock, they’re not in stock.

1 Like

I’d personally suspect crypto mining still, but really I think they just didn’t want to spend the money for the manufacturing capacity to handle it. Even AMD is supposed to have it even out faster than nVidia at this point.

Regardless, yes, we’re at the point of just waiting more. Mildly annoying since I prefer to build new PCs while parts are on sale, but even their doom and gloom prediction expects stocking to be consistent by March.

2 Likes

Apparently, Californians have been getting high since long before the area was California. Since at least 1530, in fact:

IIRC datura is one of the plant crafting ingredients available in the Honest Hearts DLC for Fallout New Vegas.

5 Likes

It makes you nauseous and somewhat twitchy if I recall right. Do not recommend/10.

4 Likes

Not to mention one of the potential side effects is death. At least in FO, you can go back to your save point.

5 Likes

As we ready to celebrate the (arguably false story) of the pilgrims and their benevolent new “Indian” acquaintances here in the USA, I turn my thoughts to pumpkin pie. Mom always used Libby’s canned pumpkin, which is how I’ll make it today, but being the insufferable food hipster that I am I believe I wish to try from absolute scratch with an actual pumpkin. If you and your family indulge how do you make it? Have you done both? Pros and cons to either method welcome and solicited.

6 Likes

Ooh, I know that one:

giphy

512316cb2fe2dfabb591669f2a91252a

giphy (1)

Amirite, teacher?

6 Likes

Ask your barista!

Yes I’ve done it and honestly canned pumpkin is better, but.

Use the small sugar pumpkin - NOT Jack o lantern pumpkins.
Roast until caramelization over most of the pumpkin.
Scrape into pot and cook under low-medium heat to thicken. Extra caramelization is bonus.
Purée the living hell out of it. No strings!

I recommend having a Wes Anderson film on in the b/g. Curm’s choice is spectacular.

6 Likes

You mean this one? :wink:

3 Likes

I’m guessing that’s kinda-sorta-half right?

3 Likes