Random Talk Thread, MK. IV

6 Likes

Interesting. It says your last post was 2 years ago. Therefore forever must be 2 years. Wow I thought it would be longer than that. Well this new knowledge is going to shake the world up a bit.

Just take wedding vows for example. All those people that vowed to be together forever and have been married for over 2 years would technically no longer be married because the term of the vow has ended. People having to get remarried every 2 years to remain together.

I suppose in the end instead of forever they would just replace it in the vows with something catchy and romantic like “forever, with the option to extend every 2 years via mail”

Welcome back gammuh :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Probably more like “subscription auto renews every 2 years unless you choose to terminate your contract with the Department of Disentanglement. Your method of payment on record will be debited promptly at midnight on this day.” But yeah, totally upping the ante on romance.

5 Likes

I guess the Wedding Industrial Complex would love that. Personally, Mrs. VaultHunter101 and I promised “until death do us part”, so we’re safe from the 2-year limit on forever. Phew! - won’t have to worry about my credit card being expired when the next renewal comes due!

6 Likes

very glad to be back. this made my day.

next on the agenda for today is beginning a fresh gaige run. it’s about time i got back into borderlands.

4 Likes

I honestly haven’t played BL2 in ages, have fun though, and welcome back.

1 Like

Damn. I wish I had that in my vows instead of “I am yours and you are mine. From this day, until the end of my days”

I’ll jot that one down for my vow renewal.

5 Likes

Does marriage come with lease renewals and refinancing now? Asking for a friend.

Also, pro tip : don’t replace a shock absorber without a hoist or at least jack stands.

6 Likes

Recently passed my day 100 post transplant. Still on lots of meds though. I am just glad i don’t have to do another BM biopsy cause that stuff hurt bad

5 Likes

Dude, those seem pretty gnarly. :flushed:

3 Likes

I’ve had several done, but only once did i have it with local anesthesia. Never again. It was painful and i started to panic near the end.

3 Likes

2 of Lady Gaga’s dogs were stolen and her dog walker shot in the chest, which is awful.

Her response to it though is really irresponsible. She has offered a $500,000 reward no questions asked for the return of the dog. Now I know pets are part of the family and you will want them back desperately but offering massive reward with the words no questions asked is just ringing the dinner bell loud and clear for it to happen to many others. Not to mention disrespectful to the guy that got shot for you.

It would take some strength of character to not offer a reward for your pets return so I can understand that, but the wording no questions asked pushes it too far for me.

Dognapping just climbed a fair few notches in the criminal career ladder :frowning: Cruella Deville was ahead of the times it seems. A Visionary.

4 Likes

Yep, I think I could stay there reading Salinger, listening to Mingus, smoking Chesterfields, drinking espresso and writing beat poetry on a Remington typewriter.

6 Likes

As the resident artistic philistine on the forums who really dislikes paint as a medium I will take the room next to yours modelled on some computer art from a video game.

While your enjoying your hipster chillout zone, my room might have resembled the alley where Claptrap lived in Borderlands 2 :slight_smile:

When I look at some of the computer art we get now to the old masters I feel there must be thousands of graphic artists out there I would personally consider far better artists. I guess I tend to prefer the clean sharp detail of computer art to the blotchy paint strokes.

Not that my opinion is of any value at all when discussing artistic things. I am after all the man who would be quite content if the only musical instruments in the world were acoustic guitar, piano and vocals haha :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Paint strokes? :laughing:

6 Likes

I was actually thinking something a little different when I mentioned strokes of paint lol. This looks like something painted by someone mid stroke. His assistant artist was probably guffing on next to him about it being the artists best work ever. While the artist is just doing his best to try write 911 and draw a picture of an ambulance on the canvas for his thick assistant.

6 Likes

Stocky, please.

Against a striking red ground, Pollock’s rich assortment of highly expressive painterly gestures fills the entire painting; wide substantial brushstrokes, delicate drips of liquid pigment, splotches of viscous color, and thin trails of vibrant hues all combine to create a highly animated surface. The effect is carefully choreographed so that no one element consumes another. Dense passages of black paint effortlessly coexist next to ethereal threads of vibrant yellow, and broad sweeps of Pollock’s brush sit alongside the drips and pours of paint that would become the artist’s signature painterly device. In abandoning the traditional figure/ground relationship, Pollock’s all-over composition forces the eye to constantly scan the surface, exploring the minutest detail of every gesture before returning to consider the entire composition as one harmonious whole.

Though the stroke/911/ambulance theory has its merits (and nearly made me spill my coffee :rofl:)

6 Likes

See I did tell you I was a philistine. The expert saw all that and I merely saw a frantic cry for help from 911 and an ambulance. Different strokes for different folks indeed :slight_smile:

PS sorry about the coffee :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Pollock aside, the problem with a lot of the old masters (Renaissance and earlier) is that we really don’t see the the way they were painted due to ageing of the varnish and pigments. Some colours have completely bleached out (particularly reds) well others have turned black, and the oil itself has yellowed.

That said, I tend to go more for stuff like this:

Or this:

5 Likes

There was a Lawren Harris exhibition here not too long ago. I do believe that one was there. Stunning to see the real thing. Actually all (good) paintings are stunning to see as intended, and not on a 4” screen :grimacing:

4 Likes