Random Talk Thread V: Fast Vive

Not long enough. Certainly not as long as those free divers can manage.

Uhm, well… Who can?

4 Likes

Well that guy obviously could!

Just tried : 60 seconds

4 Likes

Cheers, was kind of confused by the average numbers given I have difficulty doing it. Been practicing breathing exercises to see if they help.

2 Likes

That’s what she said.

4 Likes

I’ve decided that the band that best represents the pure raw energy given by my barian “Tiffany” is babymetal and it’s still too early right now for me to determine if this is the best or worst decision I’ve ever made in gaming.

Right now it feels like I’m channelling the raw cocaine energy of the band’s producer and it feels like Tiff is the star of his own anime. His merc, Aliza is his waifu, and they’ve got a lot of “will they won’t they” feels. I’m thinking of having her heroically die in battle to give way to an act 2 merc until I can afford to bring her back in season 4 with a Faith runeword bow though.

3 Likes

Must admit, I basically always go for the polearm mercs. Even if you can get an aura through a runeword you’re still missing out on the base one.

3 Likes

Tiff’s in normal so it’s not a huge deal. It helps that aliza hit cold arrow but… eh, i can fantasize about later.

… As far as story arcs though, I get the feeling she might befall a horrible turn around izual and then even if I decide to do that route, get miraculously resurrected when I have a spare jah rune up my ass >.>

3 Likes

Well, yet again trying to crash my computer to see if this fixed it. At this point, even if it did the whole experience has been awful.

Edit: I succeeded! At this point my new computer leaves me physically ill with stress.

4 Likes

Wait. Succeeded at crashing it, or fixing the problem?

3 Likes

At crashing it of course! Lets not get any flights of fancy in here Paulo.

4 Likes

It could be worse.

You could be blizzard.

Translation: We kept 20 year old net code because we assumed our new servers would be fine. Turns out the problem was the netcode, so we used the same fix that the old devs used to stop you ■■■■■■■ JACKASSES FROM TRYING TO KILL PINDLE 200 TIMES AN HOUR until we can redo our entire architecture.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure Blizzard is you know, filthy rich and in possession of various valuable IPs. And in pointed fact, if they’d just stop being scumbags, things would be even better for them.

Regardless, my local computer tech loaned me a piece of extremely expensive software on a USB stick, looks increasingly likely that in addition to corrupt RAM there’s a silicon failure on my CPU. While I’ll look into other possibilities, given this result has shown up twice it appears probable I’m going to have to do yet another RMA.

5 Likes

That sucks. Hope you manage to get this sorted.

On a semi-related note, I’ve been reading a lot of reports recently where USB/flash drive manufacturers have been quietly degrading parts while keeping the same designation and price. Mostly, it’s the chips that determine the rate of data transfer between the cache and the actual storage. So you get the correct read/write speeds while there’s still room in the cache, but as soon as that gets filled speed falls significantly. This would affect people doing stuff like video rendering more than casual use, which is why the manufacturers have mostly gotten away with it.

1 Like

It’s not just USB/Flash drives. And of course, it has to the RAM, which I want to upgrade on my own laptop…

1 Like

Yesterday there was a crew outside the building I work in putting a large tent up on the lawn outside for an event this weekend. This morning, the guy showed up to mow the grass…

I really wish I’d been there early enough to grab a picture of him driving the mower around under the tent. You could see where he’d done exactly that.

Planning - qu’est que ç’est?

Also found out why my VoIP phone isn’t working - the cable from the switch to my office has developed a fault. I’d complain about the lack of redundancy during the renovations 20 years ago - yes, they did run a single cable to each office. But the office below mine had a similar problem, and the guy who fixed it found that the insulation on the Cat5 had literally dried out and crumbled away, shorting out the internal connections.

This is probably connected to the environment the cables have to run through to get to the offices, and the fact that they were simply laid in a tray rather than passed through conduit. Not a guarantee that the cables would not have failed anyway, but still… I have to admit that I’ve never heard of Cat5 disintegrating before. @Arsonist - anything you’ve encountered?

3 Likes

Nothing that I’d seen, but it’s certainly possible in really ■■■■■■ conditions. I’d try to think of another weird tech story but I just woke up and r tired.

That’s ok - you’ve got all night to remember something!

1 Like

For that cable to disintegrate on the individual strand insulation is something I’ve never seen before. Even if it wasn’t rated for UV resistance (the usual suspect here), it seems like it’d take a fair amount of time for it to embrittle the outer sheath enough to then expose the inner sheaths and embrittle those enough to cause a short. I mean, the wire could be unbelievably cheap. Alternately, do you work at a chemical plant where some chemicals are floating through some plenum space shared by these cables?

1 Like