Random Talk Thread V: Fast Vive

Pretty sure Ad always fine-tuned it anyway to get things just the way he liked.

I somehow managed to miss that entirely as far as I recall, despite being active every day since I started testing these forums. Probably since I rarely glance outside threads that I’m involved in. Mildly interesting to hear about though.

4 Likes

Anything to do with mods is always a bit awkward because of the console TOS/TOU situation. (Not to mention the clean vs. modded co-op player angst, which has at times got quite nasty.)

There’s really no good solution to that unless GBX goes the Bethesda route and creates a mod hub specifically for console players. But that would also imply rolling out more official support for game mods in the first place, and they haven’t seemed inclined to do that since BL1. And even that may not have been fully intentional? Honestly a bit hazy on the details there - I should probably ask the BL1 Arsenal Mod guy.

3 Likes

Seriously… soooo perfect. Unless it occurs to me that Gearbox is going to iron out some of the balances/kinks still in BL3 before long, I’ll be filing down those edges myself as well. My Peacemonger would really love an anointment.

Anyone heard from her lately? I haven’t even seen her on Discord for some time.

Fraid not, though I do recall it was deliberate - she mentioned something about taking a break through COVID.

No. Maybe @Arsonist can help you on that.

Well, using my old PC, hopefully my new one will be functional again soon. I am annoyed by how difficult it is to reverify everything though.

2 Likes

I got my old account back or something. I haven’t looked into it yet. Gearbox support were team players. Maybe it’ll be easy!

1 Like

RIP Norm Macdonald

2 Likes

I did a bit of a Norm marathon last night. His “interview” with David Spade on his 2018 Netflix show was some of the most outside and jaw droppingly hilarious stuff I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

I’ll watch it tonight👍

2 Likes

This was mildly interesting, and has some things to say about how money is assigned to research and the like.

3 Likes

first ever attempt to quantify the role of luck and talent

Role? Or roll? Since that sounds suspiciously like a RPG.

4 Likes

Not exactly on topic for that, but I did read an argument against D&D 5E the other day, which made me feel warm and fuzzy since I haven’t liked an edition of D&D since 3.5/PF.

1 Like

Honest to god I remember so clearly one bit I’ve never been able to find - He did it on an episode of Conan I think years ago where he did nothing but go off about being eaten by a pack of wolves. Amazing comedian.

Well ■■■■ all y’all cause I’m forcing you into the first bunkers and badasses campaign I get to run when it gets here.

Who wants to roll what?

4 Likes

Nightmares can be ■■■■■■■ weird. I had one of the ones where everything was surreal and disturbing. Involving bizarre and inhuman(e) behavior. To be fair, I rarely recall my dreams, but really I’ve been dealing with such things more than usual lately.

4 Likes

Ah! I had a good one, and I still remember just a single bit. I had hiked around some snowy mountain with a snowboard on when I came across a river cut through some red, sculpted rock. The river channel was maybe twelve feet deep and twelve feet wide - square except for the nice, naturally sculpted surfaces (anyone seen river-worn granite? Same thing). Anyway, the water is clear AF, and the river goes around this horseshoe bend. I think, “I’ll jump in with my snowboard on - if I don’t magically scoot around like a hydrofoil, I’ll take it off while I sink and swim to safety”.

I did, in fact, zip along the water, which wasn’t cold despite the snowy surroundings, and it was awesome. I remember vividly jumping right in the water with it on, sinking softly to knee depth, and just kind of accelerating forward.

6 Likes

Weird point that came up out of the blue - the average ocean depth is something like 2.3 miles, the diving record? Is not even a quarter of that, and that’s with a pressurized suit. I know they cite that the ocean is 80% unexplored regularly, but it’s still extraordinary to realize that by and large it’s quite that inaccessible.

5 Likes