Random Talk Thread V: Fast Vive

Tiny little town with a strange number of Mexican restaurants (ten-ish for fifteen thousand people).

3 Likes

That does seem a bit much. Is there a significant amount of Mexican folk around? Here there’s definitely a market, but all my best experiences usually require me to flex my Spanish a bit, or communicate very carefully when it was insufficient.

2 Likes

For Oregon? Sure. Not that many though. It’s actually just restaurants in general though Paulo. We have nearly sixty restaurants here. At a guess it’s because we’re all of - a tourist town, college town, and the only sizable town within about a hundred miles (so if someone in that area wants to shop…)

The weird thing? Almost all of our restaurants suck.

1 Like

I love me some mexican. Even the bad kind we get around here in SWVA. Meat, cheese, spice? What are we even arguing about?

In other news, I busted my pinky finger pretty bad today. I had been back at my house to run some errands on my second to last morning with my parents, and got waylaid for about an hour. I decided to go ahead and open some windows to let the house air out because I’d set off some bug bombs before I left. This went fine until I got to my bedroom.

Every. Other. Window. Latch. In the house, is just a lock and is designed to keep the bottom window in place.

The one in my bedroom was keeping the top window pane from coming down.

I think you guys may have already worked out what happened >.-

2 Likes

I’ve had lousy steak from steakhouses too - it’s definitely a restaurant thing. Good Mexican food is unreal.

San Francisco has a lot of “Mexican” places, some are good, some are bad. Don’t give up on the genre from some bad examples - you’ll definitely find a winner at some point. Also: There are restaurants with fare from all the Central American countries (and most if not all South American as well) there… like how does El Salvador even rate its own regional fare for such a small country? It’s like as big as New Jersey. The food was good though, but I haven’t been there enough to say I have a “feel” for what distinguishes their fare from any other region.

There are also a few different styles, and there’s definitely an “americanized” version that can be good, but it’s hard to find one better than something more authentic. One of my favorites was an “Arizona” style that some guy started in this area - never tasted anything like it (might be a “tex mex” flavor that we don’t see here much?), but that food was so delicious, I had him cater my wedding.

4 Likes

My favorite genre of existential dread is a beachside nude mime community.

4 Likes

Had something odd happen last night. My wife and I were in the kitchen when we heard a very odd noise from the door out on to the back deck. Pulling back the drapes revealed a racoon pawing at the screen door. I am not sure if it was trying to climb up it or claw through it - fortunately no damage was done - but it took some yelling and banging to get it to go away.

4 Likes

You have been blessed by the Trash Panda of Happiness. Enjoy it. :wink:

5 Likes

Feeling bad for Dad tonight. No major health issues and he’s doing fine on his machine, but he can’t sleep for ■■■■ and is trying to stay quiet because he knows I’m “working”. Offered to set him up and get him on some TV for a bit but he’s having none of it.

How do everyone?

2 Likes

Sleep interrupted by a sore shoulder after a booster shot, but otherwise ok.

3 Likes

Gratz on the spare jab!

1 Like

The sleep thing seems endemic apparently - though admittedly mine is more related to my long term health issues. That and my computer apparently restarted for some reason, and managed to shutoff my keyboard.

2 Likes

‽‽‽‽‽‽

I am so happy about this.

‽‽‽‽

3 Likes

I’m just going to assume you mean Gato, because wow. At this point it’s basically just a matter of scaling to get a weak AGI (Gato is a new AI model capable of doing things ranging from playing Atari to captioning images).

2 Likes

The interrobang. I have wanted that and a sarc mark on dedicated keys forever. For sarc I just use .~ because I don’t want to pay for the character, but I love the way this ‽ looks as opposed to this !?. So happy.:grin:

Unless you were talking Spanish cats with someone else. In which case, carry on.:wink:

3 Likes

Nah, I knew, just got excited by a DeepMind paper. Honestly, we’re at the point where the generation after Z may never enter the workforce in significant numbers. I’d already considered that the predicted labor force participation numbers for 2030 (a low 60.3%) were likely higher than justified given progress in automation, but what we’re seeing here is the beginning of what could be weak AGI. Simply improving the performance would likely be enough to scrape by a bare bones qualification. We may very well see alteration on scale of human society before the end of this decade. UBI is going to become a very, very big issue.

Kind of a run around and scream in glee moment if I had the energy. I still feel sort of emotionally moved and untethered.

3 Likes

IT’S NIPPLE DRAGON WAFFLE TIME!!! NIPPLE DRAGON WAFFLE TIME!!!
:dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle:
NIPPLE DRAGON WAFFLE TIME!!! NIPPLE DRAGON WAFFLE TIME!!!
:dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle::dragon: :dragon_face: :waffle: :dragon_face: :dragon: :waffle:

There’s no nipple emoji. :sob:

3 Likes

Well ■■■■, this is gonna be depressing

1 Like
  • I rode my bike to Mark Twain’s cabin (a replica, but the chimney is original), where I saw a feral peacock.
  • The snow is clearing up enough that our MTB crew is going up for a trail clearing day in the mountains on Sunday, which is also kind of an unofficial memorial for a crew member who committed suicide recently.
  • There’s a wooden crate at my girlfriend’s house, waiting for disposal, but instead, I may cut it into a bird house. Specifically, it’ll be a basic demonstration of modeling for her 12yo kid. I’ll have her design it on paper (very simple cube with a slanted roof), figure out the area of these pieces, and by extension, their sum will be the surface area of the house. This will then provide a practical demonstration of a variable: if we express the areas of the pieces that go into the total surface area into fractions of the basic squares used for most of the house (like seven squares and the two triangles), I can tell her that if I have three square feet of wood (that I will use entirely and efficiently for this), how big should I make each piece? That way, I can give her any amount of material, and the variable allows her to return the dimensions of the pieces. The subsequent lesson will be “design meets construction” where she’ll see how the nuances of construction come into play (kerf losses, how to mate the walls properly, the extra steps necessary for an actual perfect consumption of the material for her equation to work, etc.). Then I’ll back out the “rear” wall and replace it with a piece of clear Lexan that I have: the house will rest against a window in the living room that’s usually behind a closed blind; if birds set up shop in there, now we can see it if we peek through the blinds.
  • The temperature swings here are real: it was 70F as a high yesterday, but below freezing on my way to work this morning. It’s been sunny for two weeks, but it snowed two days ago. Just once, like it just turned the ground white until the sun came out.
5 Likes

Humans. When we’re not being dicks… we’re pretty rad.

5 Likes